AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with a listening session and just felt like posting a few impressions on clamping and my current CD Player.

I am currently using a Parasound CD/X-88 CDP. The player has be tunified in the following manner. The feet are removed. The strain relief has been removed from the power cord. The headphone jack has been disconnected. All dampening material and tie-wraps have been removed. Finishing washers have been installed under the transformer. All the screws, except on the transport, have been loosened and then just barely snugged. The CDP is clamped on in a Michael Green performance rack using MTDs.

When modified and set-up in this manner, the CD/X-88 is the best sounding CDP I have ever owned or heard. And I have owned some good ones, including the SCD-1, Linn Ikemi, Arcam Alpha 9, and EAD Ultradisc.

Tuning rules!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Tom,

Quote:
When modified and set-up in this manner, the CD/X-88 is the best sounding CDP I have ever owned or heard.
I agree with you totally. While I have not owned any of the players you have owned, I have heard and owned some pretty good sounding CD players including an excellent sounding Marantz CD-67 which was modified by Michael and company for me, but the Parasound just edges out anything I've ever heard.

Did you also perform the "tweak" of allowing the power setting switch attached to the inside back panel of the chassis to just hang loose inside by removing its anchoring screws?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Did you also perform the "tweak" of allowing the power setting switch attached to the inside back panel of the chassis to just hang loose inside by removing its anchoring screws?
Yup! Did that one too. One other thing that should be mentioned is that the power cord is not polarity keyed. Therefore you can reverse the AC polarity. It make a big difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.