AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never post network show threads (because network TV sucks outside of sports and news) but this is an exception...Silence of the Lambs is literally one of my Top 3 movies of all time (the movie sequels Hannibal and Red Dragon not so much)… CBS will explore the aftermath of The Silence of the Lambs with Clarice, a sequel series set one year after the events of the seminal 1991 film...the upcoming crime drama is based on the Thomas Harris character of the same name, and will be written and executive-produced by Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet

the project has received a big series commitment and as such is expected to go to series...set in 1993, Clarice will explore the untold personal story of its title character — now around 30 years old — as she returns to work pursuing serial murderers and sexual predators while navigating Washington, D.C. politics...

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/clarice-starling-series-cbs-1203464136/

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Another example of original network programming :rolleyes:

Sounds like Law & Order SVU with a Clarice character & no Hannibal. As much as I loved SOTL, Hannibal, Manhunter, Red Dragon, I won't spend any viewing time on this, especially done by a network. It's unoriginal as an idea and most likely going to have derivative stories.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets 1-2 seasons and then cancelled.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Sounds like another "War of the Worlds" scenario, where they use the title but the story is non sequitur.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like Law & Order SVU with a Clarice character & no Hannibal. As much as I loved SOTL, Hannibal, Manhunter, Red Dragon, I won't spend any viewing time on this, especially done by a network. It's unoriginal as an idea and most likely going to have derivative stories.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets 1-2 seasons and then cancelled.
I agree that being that it's on CBS it'll most likely be their usual crime procedural type of show with Clarice Starling as the lead character solving crimes of the week...but I do think that Lecter will be a part of the show as part of a larger mythology...maybe they can get Brian Cox to reprise his role as Hannibal from the underrated 1986 Mindhunter movie :D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I agree that being that it's on CBS it'll most likely be their usual crime procedural type of show with Clarice Starling as the lead character solving crimes of the week...but I do think that Lecter will be a part of the show as part of a larger mythology...maybe they can get Brian Cox to reprise his role as Hannibal from the underrated 1986 Mindhunter movie :D

So what is the timeline for this, after Silence but before Hannibal? Or are they pretending Hannibal was never written?

The fact it's on CBS is pretty much all the reason I need to stay away. But I'm curious how they plan to rectify the ending of Hannibal with the show, unless the timelines are a little different (or they ignore it completely).

And I don't want Brian Cox on this, he should be focusing solely on Succession.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what is the timeline for this, after Silence but before Hannibal? Or are they pretending Hannibal was never written?

The fact it's on CBS is pretty much all the reason I need to stay away. But I'm curious how they plan to rectify the ending of Hannibal with the show, unless the timelines are a little different (or they ignore it completely).

And I don't want Brian Cox on this, he should be focusing solely on Succession.
the series is set 1 year after the events of Silence of the Lambs...so Hannibal (the movie) never happened

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
the series is set 1 year after the events of Silence of the Lambs...so Hannibal (the movie) never happened
Like the latest Terminator? ;)

After watching S4 of The Expanse and half-way through Man in the High Castle, there's just no comparison between these high quality, creative genre series to the repetitive, cliched story writing that is typical network programming. This will likely be not much different than all other procedurals.

I can barely stand Walking Dead anymore and it was edgy & great drama for ~7 seasons. Now it's no better than NBC's failed Revolution with its countryside chase & save of the week.

Hey, there's always SyFy's latest brain$art for a series: reviving Chucky! That'll sure last 5 seasons :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Like the latest Terminator? ;)

I can barely stand Walking Dead anymore and it was edgy & great drama for ~7 seasons. Now it's no better than NBC's failed Revolution with its countryside chase & save of the week.:
Agree 100% about TWD. The show's title now is a hint of the quality of the upcoming episode you're about to watch.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
So another police procedural which cashes in on a beloved movie/tv show but will have none of its theme/ideas/core, created by a well known hack known for destroying other shows. It will be full of the usual cliches.

US network tv is crap - the same people get their shows greenlit, because they know the execs, who knows how many great pilots the networks abandon just because they are from unknown people.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I suppose Clarice is the unofficial replacement for Criminal Minds.

Reactions: Wacojoe

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clarice: CBS Sets February Premiere for Silence of the Lambs Sequel Series

CBS’ Silence of the Lambs sequel will premiere on Thursday, Feb. 11th at 10/9c, the network announced Tuesday

Starring Rebecca Breeds (The Originals) in the title role, Clarice will take place one year after the events of The Silence of the Lambs, telling the untold personal story of FBI Agent Clarice Starling as she returns to the field in 1993...

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this would have been better served on Showtime (part of CBS) or even CBS-AA...CBS is going to water this down and make it a mainstream CSI/Criminal Minds type of show...it deserves to be shown with graphic violence, nudity, language etc

1 - 20 of 86 Posts