AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered, but I missed it.

As I read it, the Leeza can SCALE (not just pass-through) HDTV at 720p and 1080i and put it out at 1365x1024. I also understood the specs as saying that it can scale computer inputs up to 1024x768 up to 1365x1024.

Am I misreading or is this correct?

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
dloftis

Incorrect. The Leeza only offers a pass through for HDTV and progressive input sygnals.

If the scaling features you mentioned are important to you the Vigatec will scale HDTV as well as computer inputs and progressive dvd players.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for clearing that up.

When you say the Vigatec, I assume you're referring to the Dune? If so, do you have any idea whether DVI output will ever be available, and do you have a rough idea of the price tag on the Dune?

With all the features of the Leeza, I still think that may be the best machine for me... Lots of inputs, including SDI... DVI output... aspect ratio controls... seems to be good quality. I can live without the scaled HD signals.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Unless you have a good 9 inch CRT 1080i to 1080p is for the most part a moot point.It is also possible you could just be adding unwanted artifacts.If there is any display device capable of properly displaying 1080p other than a very good 9 inch CRT I am not aware of it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
TomW,

your statement is correct, but to a D-ILA projector owner the ability to scale 1080i to 1365*1024 can be of value. From what I understand (Frank from Texas can chime in) the Vig improves over the internal scaler of the projector when scaling from a HD component input, but not from an RGBHV input. Anybody else have experience with this particular issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
I have been testing the Leeza and it is a great product. I like it alot. Loaded with features.
Maybe you can answer this then, and then I'll shutup ;)

I'm looking at one of the LCoS/D-ILA projectors with an anamorphic lens. Will the Leeza modify 4:3 sources to work through the anamorphic lens without stretching the image or removing the lens?

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SOLD!

Well, as soon as I start buying the gear for my new theater.

Thanks for the input. I've been debating over scalers for a while and it looks like this will be the best one for me... and I'm finally saying that without a but on the end.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, OK... I slept on this and have a couple more questions.

1> Will the Leeza convert/transcode/whatever ANY of it's inputs to the DVI Output, including the pass-through and SDI inputs?

2> I know SDI is an interlaced signal... Is DVI? I'm assuming that it's not.

3> This is an opinion question... does anyone think there's any possibility of seeing DVI/HDCP inputs on a scaler in the near future? If HD signals DO turn out to go that direction, it would be nice to handle them in the scaler if possible.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
dloftis,

1. NO. HD pass through is not transcoded into DVI. HD passthrough is passed through to the RGBHV output, and transcoded to YPbPr (if you use that). It does not go through the scaler. Since it's not going through the scaler, it can't use the DVI output.

2. DVI would be worthless to us (for scaling) if it was interlaced. It is progressive. It was designed to let "dumb" LCD and Plasma panels be able to get native resolution information with very little electronics.

3. VERY Unlikely. HDCP is an encryption scheme. Why would anyone give the keys to their car to a virtual stranger? The only thing that will be able to receive this format is displays. Adding it to scalers could always open the possibility that it will be "abused" in the eyes of the content providers (the almighty Gods of video).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of that is what I expected.

Anybody want to weight in on how much better DVI out from a scaler is than RGBHV is? The DVI is already a pain-in-the-... because of the distance limitations.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee
He he he, muy bueno!
LOL

Should I take that as a vote FOR the 100% digital path? ;)

How did you overcome the DVI distance limitations? Put the scaler next to the PJ?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
It's no limitation for me, all of my equipment is within 10 ft of the plasma so, I just went out and bought a standard length DVI cable, piece o cake. I tested 5 BNC against DVI and the DVI was much clearer, cleaner and had less "noise" in the picture. I give DVI a thumbs up and I will never again own a scaler that doesn't have DVI out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee
It's no limitation for me, all of my equipment is within 10 ft of the plasma so, I just went out and bought a standard length DVI cable, piece o cake. I tested 5 BNC against DVI and the DVI was much clearer, cleaner and had less "noise" in the picture. I give DVI a thumbs up and I will never again own a scaler that doesn't have DVI out.
Your experiences are inconsistent with that of some other posters. Given that New York City has a reputation as an "RF sewer," I'm wondering if your results are generally applicable or if you are getting some unique advantages because of DVI's ability to reject EMI. In my own setup, I have not noticed any visible noise induced by an analog component connection to my plasma. But I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood where the general level of RF pollution is fairly low. It may turn out that DVI's main advantages manifest themselves where analog connections would tend to pick up visible noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.