AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I must be a schmuck, I searched the forum and the internet and I'm having trouble locating the info I want (admitedly I haven't been following XBox threads).

From the xbox web site "The High Definition AV Pack supports HDTV RGB video and your choice of RCA Audio or Digital Audio over optical cable." What exactly does this mean as far as HDTV interface? Is it component or VGA? I have the fairly common Mitsubishi HDTV with RGBHV (currently connected with a VGA breakout adapter cable for use with the RCA DTC100). What will I need to buy to get this to work with my set and to switch between TV and XBox?

Thanks,

Gordo

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK -- so what is everyone with a Mitsubishi set planing on doing? Are you telling me there is no adapter cable that currently exists for sale to do component to either RGBHV or VGA?

How can Microsoft say this thing works with HDTV sets? It only works with some of them...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ummm, I have the Mitsubishi WS48607. It has the component inputs and it's a pretty old set. Are you sure you don't have a component input for HD?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
man chill... you have an older mits and it is not our fault or MS's you did not have the foresight to get a set with component inputs. all newer sets have RGB component inputs, thus leaving you in the minority. i will offer you some advice, despite your nebulous understanding of the industry's progress. research a product that will convert RGB to RGBHV. hope this helps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, no need to flame. I wasn't aware that Mits had made the switch to all component! I really HAVE been out of the loop for a while. My set is the WS55805, didn't think it was that old, but it did come out in late 1999 though. Then again, my friend just bought one a couple months ago (the 46 inch model I believe) and his also has RGBHV.

So all new Mits have component now? They dumped RGBHV? I guess that's a good thing.

Just wait though, someone will be flaming you in a few months for not having the "foresight" to buy an HDTV with some DVI or XYZ interface instead of the lame old component inputs...

:p

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's a shame that MS is not releasing an RGB interface as well, but only a YPbPr (Component Video) one. Hopefully a third party will create such an interface, otherwise, you'd have to get something like a Component Video to RGB converter like this: http://www.audioauthority.com/9a62det.html

I believe there is a reason MS isn't doing this--they don't want people to use a computer monitor with the Xbox.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, you are very helpful, that's exactly what I need. Don't know why so many people are saying its impossible to use the XBox with a computer monitor, all you need is the adapter linked to above. Of course the same adapter will work for HDTV sets that use either VGA, or RGBHV inputs.

NOW, if I can only find the same thing for cheaper... it seems crazy to spend $189 for an adapter. Especially when the XBox only costs $300 to begin with... oh well, I guess most people that have an early HD set can afford it, myself included.

Thanks,

Gordo

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
TraderGordo,

Your set (55805) has two component inputs, one for HDTV and one for 480p. I have the 65905 and run component into both ports. The RGBHV input (HDTV) is switchable from RGBHV to Component via a user menu setting on the TV.

The only Mits people who are SOL are the xxx03 set owners and their sets are now 3+ years old. I thing Key Digital made a converter at one time, and Mits has one for people that use the HD400.

--Rick

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Admitedly, I'm no home theater genius, but I think you are confusing the digital inputs with the analog ones. I only care about the digital inputs. There is only one set, the RGBHV. There is no YPbPr. Are you saying there is a user setting to switch it from RGBHV to YPbPr ? That's very interesting, I did not know about that. Is it in the technician's hidden menus?

Still, that would not matter too much as I'd still need the same adapter but for my set top box instead of the XBox. I'm using the RCA DTC100 which outputs VGA which I break out to RGBHV.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, you can switch the DTV input between RGB and YPbPr, and it's not in the Service Menus. Depending on how many of the inputs you're using (all 5 RGBHV or 3 YPbPr), you may not see all of the choices. I just changed from a breakout cable to RCA VHDC300, and had to change this very item. Go to SETUP > ASSIGN INPUT > DTV, and select the proper output. The inputs act as either RGBHV or YPbPr, depending on whether you use HV to carry the sync (5 wire input), or use sync-on-green (3 wire input)...

I also have a Mitsubishi WS-55805 and an RCA DTC-100, and was until last week using a VGA breakout cable to RGBHV. However, because I want to buy an X-Box w/ HD pack and play games at 1080i (those that support it, that is), I bought an RCA VHDC300. This will output the VGA signal of the DTC-100 to 3 lines (RGB, with Sync-on-green), and allow the use of a standard switchbox (such as http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=784&scat=811 ) to manually select which device you want to input. You can use the video, left audio and right audio to carry each of the three component video signals, and then switch to one device for the DTC-100 and another for the X-Box. In my case, I'll plug my DTC-100's component cables into device 1, and the X-Box component video cables into device 2. The output will go to the HD inputs on the TV.

It's not an elegant solution, but it's inexpensive. Hopefully video quality will not suffer.

Don

Quote:
Originally posted by TraderGordo
Admitedly, I'm no home theater genius, but I think you are confusing the digital inputs with the analog ones. I only care about the digital inputs. There is only one set, the RGBHV. There is no YPbPr. Are you saying there is a user setting to switch it from RGBHV to YPbPr ? That's very interesting, I did not know about that. Is it in the technician's hidden menus?

Still, that would not matter too much as I'd still need the same adapter but for my set top box instead of the XBox. I'm using the RCA DTC100 which outputs VGA which I break out to RGBHV.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent! Thanks a lot.

Seems like if they have a VGA->Component adapter for under $100 ( http://www.onecall.com/PID_10597.htm ) they should have a component to VGA which is almost the same device! I would rather do it that way than the way you did it (only for fear of degrading the signal, but maybe my fear is unfounded). Not to mention I already have a VGA A/B switch box. Let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Opus74,

I also have the 55805 and DTC-100 using the VGA breakout cable and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the XBOX. Have you noticed any picture degredation converting to component output of the DTC-100? The Mits owners manual recommends using RGBH/V over component which is why I went with the breakout cable. I am also concerned about the picture quality of the XBOX by going through a low grade switcher, unfortunately quality ones from Key Digital and Kramer Electronics are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced, I guess we'll find out after Nov 15th. One last thought, for me the ONLY reason I want to add the XBOX to my PS2 for gaming is simply 1080i yet it seems there are very few 1080i games avail for the launch.

HDNET ahhhh, the payoff on my investment

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TraderGordo
From the xbox web site "The High Definition AV Pack supports HDTV RGB video and your choice of RCA Audio or Digital Audio over optical cable." What exactly does this mean as far as HDTV interface? Is it component or VGA?
RGBHV is the format, VGA is the type of connector used. For HDTV, RGBHV can be on a VGA (also called a DB-15) connector or 5 wire with RCA or BNC connectors.

Quote:
What will I need to buy to get this to work with my set and to switch between TV and XBox?
If your HDTV has RGBHV input on a VGA type connector, you need a VGA to VGA cable. Cost is about $15-20, or more for high end cable.

If your HDTV has RGBHV input on 5 wire RCA or BNC connectors, you need a DB-15 to 5 wire breakout cable. These usually have BNC connectors, if you have RCA connectors, you will also need 5 BNC to RCA connectors. Cost is about $40-50, or more, the BNC to RCA adaptors cost a few bucks a piece.

If your HDTV has component video input, a cable will not suffice. You need a RGBHV to component video transcoder. There are a few options, the least expensive is the Key Digital, for $170.
http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...uneek=27163619

Extron has a professional model with a list price of about $800, check with the AVS Store for details.

In all cases, use the least complicated method of connection. Do not use a transcoder if at all possible, as it just adds expense, another piece of equipment to fail and worse case, it could degrade the image or cause artifacts.

Quote:
Thanks
Your Welcome.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm using the new Audio Authority Component to VGA Adapter connecting the Panasonic RP56 progressive scan DVD player to an RCA MM36100 (VGA in).

The picture quality is very good, but I'm pretty p!ssed off with the alignment.

For some stupid reason, the picture is shifted waaaaaaay to the left and waaaaaay down. After adjusting the picture position size, The picture is STILL shifted too far down and to the left. The service menu of the TV really sucks too...just a bunch of numbers, doesn't explain what changes what. There is also a very annoying purple haze across the top of the display. The people say it is caused due to overscan...we'll see if that's the case or not soon.

So unless you are willing to mess with your TV service menu, I'd pass for now.

I did connect the player to my PC monitor (Samsung 900NF) using the included VGA breakout cables and was able to adjust the picture properly.

I'm still frustrated with the damn alignment issue. Do all of these type of adapters screw up the alignment that much? You'd think someone would have caught it......

I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.