Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been reading lots of threads on the HTPC subject. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this setup would work. I'm planning on using the passthrough cable on the HiPix for my tv out. Then using the ATI vga->component dongle to connect my HDTV to the computer. Will this allow the computer to view both the hdtv signal from the HiPix and the windows enviroment on the computer (assuming it's at the proper res and frequency)?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
no, if you want to use the loopback cable (supplied with the HiPix card) it would plug into the video card(vga) and back into the HiPix and then from the HiPix to the TV, you will need a breakout cable from the HiPix to your set. You could also do it this way, do not use the loopback cable and hopefully your TV has more then one component input and you could send your Radeon's output to one input and a breakout cable from the HiPix to the other input.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha! thanks for your reply. the thing is that the tv has 2 component inputs. There are no 5 BNC inputs on the tv. So what I'm trying to ask is, would the ati dongle replace a Breakout cable + 5 BNC to Y-Pb-Pr transcoder?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have the ATI HD component adapter and a Hipix. After booting up with the ATI HD dongle on the back of your video card, you can then connect the loopback cable and put the ATI dongle on the back of the Hipix card and it will work fine without a transcoder or breakout cable however theres one catch you can't reboot! upon rebooting with this setup the dongle wont be properly recognized and wont output properly sending you into display hell.

your connection options using the ATI dongle and Hipix (may also apply to other HD cards):

1. Use the ATI dongle on the back of the video card without the loopback cable connected and send the Hipix video output to your display. If your display does not have a VGA input, you will need a VGA breakout cable. If you have one with 5 BNC connectors, just use the red, blue and green with BNC-RCA adaptors. The downside to this straightforward setup is that is uses an additional input on your display and you lose OSD on the HIpix card.

2. Put the ATI dongle on the back of the video card. connect the ATI dongle to a breakout cable, to female-female HD-15 gender changer, to loopback cable connected to Hipix card. then using another VGA breakout cable connected to the VGA outoput of the Hipix connect to your YPrPb input on your display. The downside to this setup is that you will need 150-200 in highquality cables or you will probably have some picture quality loss.

Audio connections are variable depending upon your setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woo just what I was looking for :) Thanks Rick. I think I'll just do #1 because both of my component inputs aren't in use atm. Didn't know that the RBG bnc cables would work like that. Certainly simplifies things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.