AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my HTPC up and running with a GA-H55M-U2DH board and core i3 530. Works pretty well and the graphics look great on my normal PC monitor (17" Viewsonic VG710b) via VGA. I hooked my Samsung LNR268W 26" LCD TV up to the HTPC today via HDMI and the picture quality is awful. Windows 7 decided that the resolution should be 1280x720 (makes sense its a 720p) but the desktop was cut off around the corners. I fixed this issue (overscan) by adjusting the scaling in the intel graphics control panel but the picture quality itself is still very bad. The color is very off, the text is blurry, and graphics that have color transitions in them look like they are being dithered wrong. I tried switching between 50 and 60hz (the only two options) and 60hz just caused some horizontal "noise" to show up. Is there something I am missing here? Do I need to download a profile for this TV? Do I need to calibrate the monitor? I messed around with the TV's contrast settings a bit but couldn't get it to look right.


This is pretty bad, my DVD player via HDMI, Tivo Series 3 (HDMI), and even my Macbook Pro laptop (via DVI) all "just work").
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interestingly enough, the VGA connector from the HTPC to the LCD TV works better. It sets the resolution to 1360x768 (which is different than above) and the TV unlocks a "PC" menu that allows you to mess with some of the picture sizing/placement settings. The picture looks much better. The "PC" menu is disabled if I hook the TV up to the HTPC via HDMI. There must be a way to get it to work via HDMI though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts
One problem is your TV has a native resolution of 1366x768, so when you send in 1280x720 the TV is applying an algorithm to scale to the native number of pixels, resulting in the blurring you are seeing.


You're not the only one having difficulties: it doesn't sound like your set will accept native resolution over HDMI:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/218657


which means anything coming over that interface will be scaled. Of course, with something non-computer, you're not going to notice the blurring as much since it's pictures rather than small text, which is likely why the DVD player and the Tivo still look great.


You might be able to get 1366x768 to work over DVI (as suggested by your Macbook experience).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Try using another "HDMI IN" on the LCD.


On my Sammy plasma, HDMI 1 would not work and I would experience the same issues you mentioned above however when I switch to HDMI 2 the plasma works perfectly just as if it was a monitor. You will be able to select the correct resolution, 1360*768 (bad luck your gunna loose 6 lines) and you will also be able to acess the "pc" function in the LCD settings.


This is a common issue with Sammy TV's, see how you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
OT, sorry: An arizonian, and one who works for Intel, cool. I'd assume you work at one of the fabs out here?


OP:archibael hit it on the head, are you attempting to use the HDMI connection for audio as well? If not, there is no real reason to use HDMI, DVI will only give you the availability of DxVA and HDCP if you need it, if not, then there is no real advantage for either over VGA from a PQ standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
I have a Samsung LCD with the same problem. Since I want to use HDMI for audio I use and extended desktop but with the primary display being VGA. Not an ideal solution especially if the ICT token starts getting used on Blu-Ray but when that happens I guess AnyDVD will be getting enabled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
I gotta say this is pretty odd to hear so many people having problems my LN46A750 with HD5750 is flawless over HDMI and VGA alike, just have to use HDMI2 and specify it as the PC input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
On my 55UN6000 I can use HDMI 1(DVI) and specify its a PC input by changing the source name in the menu options... It displays 1080p beautifully (after adjusting ATI underscan to 0%)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18181149


OT, sorry: An arizonian, and one who works for Intel, cool. I'd assume you work at one of the fabs out here?


OP:archibael hit it on the head, are you attempting to use the HDMI connection for audio as well? If not, there is no real reason to use HDMI, DVI will only give you the availability of DxVA and HDCP if you need it, if not, then there is no real advantage for either over VGA from a PQ standpoint.

I'm in the assembly/test side, actually, but, yeah, Chandler boy for many years. In Saigon this week, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 /forum/post/18181721


On my 55UN6000 I can use HDMI 1(DVI) and specify its a PC input by changing the source name in the menu options... It displays 1080p beautifully (after adjusting ATI underscan to 0%)

On my Samsung Plasma if I change the source to PC on the HDMI input (thus telling the Sammy it's a PC connected then I lose a bunch of picture adjustment options on the Sammy and the picture looks terrible. However if I tell it that it's just "PVR" or "DVD" then all is well, picture looks fantastic and all picture options remain on the TV.


Basically on my Sammy I need to just not tell it that a PC is connected via that HDMI input and all is well. Something to try anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. This is an interesting post because its the same TV I have:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list.../218508#218508


This TV is circa 2006, so it only has a single HDMI input - so I can't really use the "second one". :)


I'll try "naming" the input. I saw that feature when I was playing around with the settings last night. I thought it was just a superficial way to label the connection so that it came up as a recognizable name when you switch the input, but I guess you guys are saying that the TV actually switches how it displays the picutre based on the mapping. Interesting if un-intiutive.


Some other observations: I can get the H55 board to send 1366x768 over HDMI, but then I have an extreme version of the opposite issue. I have 3-4" black "bars" around the image - which is tiny and centered in the screen. Looks rather bizzare for such a small change in resolution. I guess its now severly underscanning? I'll have to test it again, but I think that there isn't enough slider in the control panel to adjust the aspect ratio to make this one look OK. heh


I'd like to use the HDMI for audio as well eventually, thats why I got this board/chipset. Otherwise I could have just got a cheap VGA board/card and run a miniplug audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18181424


I gotta say this is pretty odd to hear so many people having problems my LN46A750 with HD5750 is flawless over HDMI and VGA alike, just have to use HDMI2 and specify it as the PC input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18182556


On my Samsung Plasma if I change the source to PC on the HDMI input (thus telling the Sammy it's a PC connected then I lose a bunch of picture adjustment options on the Sammy and the picture looks terrible. However if I tell it that it's just "PVR" or "DVD" then all is well, picture looks fantastic and all picture options remain on the TV.

Hahah, you guys do realize you are saying the exact opposite things here. Although ArtosDracon you are using an ATI card, so many thats the difference? Bonscott, are you using the build in intel HDMI on a H55 board?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosenbl /forum/post/18185505


Hahah, you guys do realize you are saying the exact opposite things here. Although ArtosDracon you are using an ATI card, so many thats the difference? Bonscott, are you using the build in intel HDMI on a H55 board?

Ironically, we're saying the exact same thing, just from opposite side of the preferences. I prefer to adjust all of my video settings inthe video card drivers and software, therefore I do not want the TV doing anything to the picture but putting it on the screen. Some people prefer to have settings on the TV and sticking to baseline settings in the drivers and software. You can typically get to the same result, eventually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosenbl /forum/post/18185461


Thanks for the replies guys. This is an interesting post because its the same TV I have:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list.../218508#218508


This TV is circa 2006, so it only has a single HDMI input - so I can't really use the "second one". :)


I'll try "naming" the input. I saw that feature when I was playing around with the settings last night. I thought it was just a superficial way to label the connection so that it came up as a recognizable name when you switch the input, but I guess you guys are saying that the TV actually switches how it displays the picutre based on the mapping. Interesting if un-intiutive.


Some other observations: I can get the H55 board to send 1366x768 over HDMI, but then I have an extreme version of the opposite issue. I have 3-4" black "bars" around the image - which is tiny and centered in the screen. Looks rather bizzare for such a small change in resolution. I guess its now severly underscanning? I'll have to test it again, but I think that there isn't enough slider in the control panel to adjust the aspect ratio to make this one look OK. heh


I'd like to use the HDMI for audio as well eventually, thats why I got this board/chipset. Otherwise I could have just got a cheap VGA board/card and run a miniplug audio.

The reason you get the black bars and small picture when you send 768p is that the TV is treating it like a 1080P signal. My panny does the same (stupid) thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went into the menu and selected "Input > Edit Name > HDMI" and tried assigning it any of the following names - "----", VCR, DVD, D-VHS, Cable STB, HD STB, Satellite STB, AV Receiver, DVD Receiver, Game, Camcorder, DVD Combo, DHR, and PC. Switching the name didn't seem to have any effect on the picture. Naming the HDMI input "PC" also doesn't allow me to access the "PC" settings menu under "Setup".


If I split the video player window across the two displays, the 17" LCD monitor hooked up via VGA looks "normal" while the LCD TV looks off (even after adjusting the aspect ratio).


Curiously, the on board graphics won't even drive a display via DVI (the 17" has both connectors), so I can't compare VGA and DVI on the same display. I think that changed after I updated the BIOS on this board. It displays the BIOS boot screen via DVI and the when windows loads it doesn't even think a display is connected via DVI. Weird..


So what are my options to get this working via HDMI? Get a new TV? Get an ATI card? Do some sort of calibration to adjust the color to compensate for what the TV appears to be doing? Can you even color calibrate Windows with an LCD TV? I used to do this on my Mac using "colorsync" and a color meter/book of color swatches....


A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
That sounds like a bad BIOS actually, which is easy to believe given how new these systems are. You may want to contact your board manufacturer and see what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I'm gonna contact Gigabyte. As for the issue with HDMI, it appears there is no "just scan" option on this samsung set. (Perhaps too old?) Is there a way to force such a thing via the service menu? Maybe this TV can be upgraded via firmware to support 1:1 pixel mapping?


Also I read this:


PC's put out R,G,B in a 0-255 range, where black =0 and white=255.

Video devices, PVRS, DVDs, etc output a smaller range where black = 16 and white = 235.


Can I change this mapping either on the IGP/driver side or on the TV? Perhaps why my color is so screwed up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosenbl /forum/post/18185505


Hahah, you guys do realize you are saying the exact opposite things here. Although ArtosDracon you are using an ATI card, so many thats the difference? Bonscott, are you using the build in intel HDMI on a H55 board?

Mine is an Core i3 Clarksdale on an Asus H55 board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosenbl /forum/post/18185461



This TV is circa 2006, so it only has a single HDMI input - so I can't really use the "second one". :)

That's pretty old actually in terms of technology changes the past 4 years. Perhaps it doesn't support HDMI 1.3 fully or isn't doing proper HDCP syncing?


All I got. Good luck.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top