AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Class 4 SDHC 16GB card on ebay, I tried it with my HF100 and it films for about 30-40 sec then stop saying that the buffer memory is full.

Is it possible that the class 4 16GB card isn't fast enought for the HF100 ??

I also have a Class 6 Transcend 8gb SDHC card that works great...

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
well it looks like you answered your own Q.....

what is the transfer rate difference you ask?

Class 2: 2 MB/s

Class 4: 4 MB/s

Class 6: 6 MB/s

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it is recommended by canon that you use a class 6 card. It might have been class 4 and up though.

hmmm...the card could be fake. When memory cards were at its peak in price, about 90% of the cards are fake on ebay. Not sure about now but make sure you don't buy from a wholesaler that sales mostly memory cards and don't buy from a seller in china.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SDHC cards are rated based on write speed in BYTES not bits. Camcorders are rated at BIT rates.

Thus a class 4 card should, if it's not faulty, be capable of coping with approx 8x4 Mbps=32Mbps. Knock some off that for protocol overheads, and you still end up with a card that should cope with cameras writing 24Mbps...

I would say your card is faulty or out of spec.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I tought....

I just found out that my card is a Fat32 type, is it possible that this caused the problem?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
no it won't..btw if your camera says that it needs class six, then that's what you use..........

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai /forum/post/15487751

no it won't..btw if your camera says that it needs class six, then that's what you use..........

HF100s are supposed to be good for Class 4 or above. The max data rate is supposed to be 17Mbps average though I supposed since it's VBR it could peak higher than that, particularly if there is a lot of motion.

To see if it's a data rate problem, try using one of the lower rate settings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a sandisk 8GB class 4 for my HF100, and it works fine.

Although, I just today bought the same card, but with 16GB from B&H and it doesn't work. I was able to make some video with it, but when I try to transfer it to my computer, ImageMixer shuts down when importing. Weird. I guess this cards can be defective? I've never had one that was bad. I'm sending this one back for an exchange.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried it twice, one file was about 2.2G, the other maybe a half gig. I wonder if it has anything to do with an 8GB card working and 16GB not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be surprised...

The thing I find weird is when I received the card, it was showing as a 16gb card in the browser, now, only 8.38gb ! So I have the confirmation that the card is defectrive at least! But I still can't use it with the camera since I can film only 30-40 seconds at a time....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts