AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

It is 2016 aug now and asking again which would you recommend for Subwoofer HIFI?

Which is better class AB ([email protected]) vs D Class ([email protected]) for Subwoofer 20hz to 500hz ?

Does Class-AB give better quality bass? I heard class-AB have no punch.

Price wise
the class AB cost more and the Class d cost lesser.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hello

It is 2016 aug now and asking again which would you recommend for Subwoofer HIFI?

Which is better class AB ([email protected]) vs D Class ([email protected]) for Subwoofer 20hz to 500hz ?
The difference between 800W and 1000W equates to 1dB. This is almost as irrelevant as the class of amplifier.
Does Class-AB give better quality bass?
No. There are several factors that can contribute to "better quality bass". The class of amplifier is NOT one of them.
I heard class-AB have no punch.
There are several factors that can contribute to a subwoofer having "no punch". The class of amplifier is NOT one of them.
Price wise
the class AB cost more and the Class d cost lesser.
You may have found the winner then.

My end gold is to play loud clear HIFI

This is a amplifier question AB class vs Class D
The class of amplifier hooked up to the sub has no bearing on your end goal.

If you provide more information like the models of amplifiers you're considering and what your application is, we'll be able to provide more guidance.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Class D runs cooler, is lighter, smaller and more efficient 50% vs 70-90%

So you are less likely to overheat it, less likely to pop a circuit breaker (especially if you have multiple amps on a single breaker or shared with other stuff), and your power bill will be slightly lower.

Class-D has an idle power of 1-20watts and A/B is closer to 50-300watts. [Depending on the size of the amp.]

1000watts RMS for 4 hours each day, works out to be approximately ~50cents a day [Depending on your power companies rates and stepped levels/TOD.]
Class-AB will cost you up-to 40% more, will create more heat in the room and rack.

Class-D is often fanless or has quieter/less fans.

I don't see any reason to go with Class A/B for subwoofer use.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
class D for subs, but class H is best of both in theory. my rythmik sub uses class H.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I am confused. I thought subwoofers had their own amplifier built in.
Yes, the majority of commercially available subs are self-powered via a built in "plate amp". However, there are some that are powered from a separate (eg. rack mounted) amp. The Triad InRoom Gold Sub is an example of the latter.

Unfortunately, the OP wasn't forthcoming with sufficient details to know whether he's selecting an amp for an un-powered sub (DIY?), or selecting a self-powered sub based partly on it's class of amp.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I think the OP was looking for an "Audiophile" discussion on the merits of either class AB or D...

"Class AB amplifiers have far more weight in the lower register and a delicate top end, while Class D are rugged monsters"
(I am laughing so hard trying to type that)

I use Class D for my subs :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts