AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Alienware?

Anyone interested in a class action suit against them?

I don't even know how to get this started, but I am fed up.. I want my money back.

I have a DHS system which I am sure most of you know sucks, it works 2500, while my powerspec never let me down yet cost 3300 on it. Oh, but my shuttle computer which I had built at microcenter for around 1800 keeps on ticking with absolutely no, no problems!

I hear other people with problems, but no one really wants to step forward

Anyone in support, anything we can do? I am not protected in any way the only thing that we can do (those with technical problems) is to sue them and get our money back.

Thanks

Mo!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing,

I know that most are going to say, oh you should have just returned it.

How could I? For 3300 dollars, they wanted 20% restocking fee despite it being defective.

So they basically got away with selling me two lemons.. yep and they aren't even sweet, they suck like sour!

Hope they go bankrupt soon

Mo!

·
Registered
913 Posts
are you an attorney?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I take that this is DHS 5 series (Windows XP Media Center Edition systems box) what you do max it out with all the highest option.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm going to be honest:

My freshman year in high school I got a job and, with my parents permission and use of their credit card with 12 months no interest from Best Buy, I bought an Alienware. 2.4 ghz P4, 512 meg DDR2100, Geforce4 Ti4200, etc. I bought the 3 year warrenty. Little did I know, because it came from BB, it was 1 year from Alienware (standard) and then 2 additional with Best Buy.

My motherboard came with 2 ram slots. I made it a point when ordered that I wanted 1 stick of 512 meg so I have some expansion space. They never charged me for this (it's like a $30 difference to get this) and I got 2 sticks of 256 meg (I consider this Best Buy's fault).

I contacted Alienware. Once they found out it said 1 stick 512 meg on my motherboard, they sent out my stick and I sent them back. They couldn't have been more courteous.

However, I did order a PSX to USB converter from them that never worked and I never got my money back. I (and they) later learned that it doesn't work ONLY on XP.

Additionally, they were willing to work with me to get surround sound working on an external am in games. They didn't know about the 3 y-cables with an Audigy (they had no reason to, they troubleshoot, not integrate equipment). However, they did link me to an article on getting SPDIF passthrough working and what it was. They did the research and helped me right on their forums. It was very easy, just took some time.

Overall, 4+ years later (I'm going to be a freshman at college in a few weeks), using the same PC (okay, now with 6600gt thanks to BB and 1 gig DDR thanks to my pocket book plus some other nice accessories) as my HTPC, I can honestly say I had a pleasent experience with my PC. It was stable as all hell. I learned one thinig from this: be nice and reasonable to the techs and simply say that a) I'm not happy b) I'm considering buying another PC and as of now, Alienware is NOT on the list of potential dealers (go ahead an lie if it isn't the truth, they won't know) and c) that you payed the extra money on this FOR the stability and if they can't provide it, they can exchange the defective hardware for something stable and refund you the difference.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
one of my best friends also bought an alienware and feels even stronger than mohamman about that POS. some of you gamers are getting worked over big-time. and the mags are in cahoots with the manufacturers and offering scam reviews.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Do what you must mohanman, sue them if you have to, but Class Action lawsuits NEVER benefit ANYONE but the lawyers! You wanna help lawyers stay rich?

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Sorry, but as much as I feel for you, this thread has nothing to do with HTPCs other than to make a plea for sympathy. Heck, Alienware makes *gaming* rigs, not even HTPCs, so it really is inappropriate for this area of the forum. Good luck with your lawsuit...thread closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.