AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use the Classe processors (SSP-35, SSP-60, SSP-75) or power amps (CAV-180)? I know the SSP-60 just came out but I haven't been able to find a dealer with it in stock to audition.

I am considering the SSP-60 and CAV-180 and was wondering what people thought?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The SSP-60 sounds like a winner. It is finally listed on Classe's web site, after rumors of their impending release. I am debating whether to order one from my dealer. If dvd-audio gets output on firewire, then you may want to wait or ask the manufacturer how they plan to support this. Anthem already claims future upgradability in this area. Technology marches on, and noboby, including the Kings of Overkill (you know who they are on this forum), like buying the same equipment twice in the course of a year.

I like their amps a great deal. Excellent for driving Martin-Logans (and even Quads). However, they (the amps) do take time to warm up.

Since you live in Canada, the prices should be cheaper? Right?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I emailed Classe the price was more or less the same as the US, they said it would list for US$5000 or C$7500.

Do you know if it upgradeable at all?

I can't wait to audition this as I want to compare it to the Integra Reseach RDC-7 (which is cheaper).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have used Classe products for years and have been very happy with them. I currently own a CAV180 for my sides and rears and it is a great amplifier.

Earl

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the classe integrated amp for my bedroom 2-channel setup, with Maggie 1.6QR speakers. I really like the sound of this set up. I too am looking into the classe home theater products.

Greg

·
Registered
112 Posts
BTW, I was on the class audio web site and I still only see the SSP-30 and SSP-75 listed. Where did you see the SSP-60?

Greg

·
Registered
568 Posts
The SSP-60 and SSP-30 Mk II are described at audiorevolution.com, at at minimum. Classe seems to be pretty good at building the products and less good at ancilliary issues.

I own a CA200 power amp and an SSP-75 prepro. I am very happy with the sound of both of them. The engineering and build effort that went into them is pretty apparent, visually and audibly. They drive a MartinLogan Odyssey/Cinema/Descent/Scenario 5.1 configuration.

I auditioned the SSP-30 (Mk I) before I bought the SSP-75, and it is also quite a good piece, definitely better than the B&K Ref20 and Ref30 that I had previously. However, I caught the SSP75 right as the dealers were selling their demo stock in anticipation of the SSP-60 (which I believe is a few months late), so the '75 was about the same price as the '30 and therefore a nobrainer total nobrainer.

However, it's not an untarnished situation. The manuals for both products are TERRIBLE. T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. There are seven buttons on my SSP-75 remote that are not even MENTIONED in the manual! There are numerous horrendous formatting errors, including a figure that is half overlapped on a paragrpah of text, rendering both virtually useless. At least the unit is a LOT simpler than a B&K Ref20, so the manual is a lot less important, but it's really inappropriate to pay $7000 for a prepro and not get a PERFECT manual in my opinion.

The documentation on the CA-200's remote trigger is both very sparse and just plain wrong for my unit, which appears to be a transition phase item. (I think it is one of the very last CA200's and it seems to have some of the features of the CA201 that replaced it.)

I also haven't had the best of luck dealing with Classe support, either. When I bought my CA200--used--it had a slight overshoot problem on power down, and THIS was handled smoothly and perfectly. I sent the unit back through my dealer, and when it came back it was perfect. With a new shipping carton and everything.

However, it's been a struggle figuring out how to integrate the units into my control system. As mentioned above, the documentation on the CA200's remote trigger is just wrong, at least in my manual. It took a couple of go-arounds with Classe for them to realize that the jumpers in my unit were simply not the same as their internal documentation, so there was NO WAY I was going to be able to set the jumpers according to their directions to reconfigure the unit.

The SSP75 *must* have some sort of discrete IR codes to have it power on and off, but I have been totally unable to communicate what I am seeking to the Classe service department. I want the IR code that does ONLY power on and the one that does power off, so I can program this into an RC5000 remote. They keep sending me the electrical signal codes that go between the IR receiver in the SSP and the internal microprocessor--which of course is not what I want.

Bottom line: great engineering, excellent build quality, superb resulting sound. Support for the basic engineering of the product is excellent. "Less important" stuff like manuals, control systems, etc are exasperating in a way that I could take for a $179 DVD player but which I find at least irritating when I have $10K invested in a prepro and a two-channel power amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.