AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Classe SSP-30? I currently have a Krell HTS and can get my dealer to give me a decent trade because the value of the Krell has gone through the floor since I purchased it (what a dumb purchase... live and learn...)... It will not be used for music and the only thing that matters is its HT audio/video capabilities...

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I too am considering this pre/pro. Looks pretty great to me. Will audition at home next month. Interested in the feedback your question gets!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Scooter,

I have not tried the SSP30 but my dad has the SSP25. The SSP25 has pretty decent 2 channel music but HT features are very basic. Unless the SSP has improved significantly over the SSP25, I would not recommend the SSP 30 for HT. I recently picked up a Lexicon MC1 and it's really good for dedicated HT applications. I use a Wadia for music.

I would also consider Meridian as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The SSP-30 is quite a different animal than the SSP-25. I have heard it in person and inspected it, and it's quite good for HT. (It is also quite good at 2-channel, as well.)

I'm not sufficiently familiar with the Lexicon, but I do know the SSP-30 blew both my current B&K Ref20 and a display Ref30 pretty clearly away. The SSP-30 is smoother and, I think, more precise across the front channels. I'm pretty sure this is the SSP and not the speakers, as the speakers were very close to the same in my LR and at the store.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
very musical pre-pro indeed.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My friend picked up the ssp-25 on E-bay for 1300.00$ New.I told him I was thinking about it but he could grab it if he wanted. The guy he got it from lived in tampa where he worked so he delivered it (very lucky).

Anyway...He wanted me to insert it into my system for testing.

The amps I used were 2 Conrad-Johnson MF-200s for front staging and 1 mf-80 for the rears. Speakers are hand built using all vifa components in a

5.1 config. The results were amazing. The digital outputs of my sound card (410) hooked up to this was smooth as silk.just awsome.

Now do I wish I got it for myself? YES YES The only thing missing on this

preamp is 5.1 inputs for sacd.

Now has anyone listened to the ssp-30 and the 25 with nice amps and compared? I think if I can find the 30 around 2000.00$ I will jump on it.

My only other thaught is maybe the anthem.

Thanks to everyone who reads this. Eric

ps. My thaught when recomending this pre/pro to him was that it would

"come close" to equaling the Conrad-Johnson PFR and you would get 5.1

audio for DVDs as a bonus.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just so that anyone reading this thread isn't misinformed... the SSP-30 has component video switching, 7.1 outputs, most if not all of the current HT formats (DD, DTS, EX, Neo, etc). It is obviously designed for HT at a very high level. There is no possibility of describing it as "pretty basic." In fact, the SSP-30 exceeds the feature set of the high-end SSP-75 by a fair margin.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My thinking is the extra features on the SSP-30 (7.1,DTS EX,NEO,ect.) is well worth the ~1000$ difference over the SSP-25. My only concern is I

have not listened to the 30...

2.0 channel sound quality is #1 for me. I'm worried the extra features may

have taken away some of the analog performance. Both units had a 3000$

list. To add the extra inputs and sort and not raising the cost, did they take

something out to add other features? Want to make sure their was no

compromise from the origional SSP-25. Thanks, Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.