AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had occasional discussions of Mark Cuban's HD "Hogan's Heroes" reruns, as well as his HD "Square Pegs" reruns, and planned repeats of "Charlie's Angels" in HD.

It's a natural since all of these old programs are produced on 35 mm film, which essentially makes them "HD ready". This being the case, it seems a natural idea to assemble an HD TV channel from these classic TV shows...maybe throw in some old movies, and replicate in high definition the sort of programming that many of us grew up on if we were born in the fifties or sixties.

So the poll question is this -- if such a station existed, would you watch it, and under what distribution scenarios?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond
We've had occasional discussions of Mark Cuban's HD "Hogan's Heroes" reruns, as well as his HD "Square Pegs" reruns, and planned repeats of "Charlie's Angels" in HD.

It's a natural since all of these old programs are produced on 35 mm film, which essentially makes them "HD ready". This being the case, it seems a natural idea to assemble an HD TV channel from these classic TV shows...maybe throw in some old movies, and replicate in high definition the sort of programming that many of us grew up on if we were born in the fifties or sixties.
Sure, HD TVLand. Doesn't Viacom own TVLand? Doesn't Viacom own CBS? Isn't CBS the HD leader?

Inquiring minds what to know!

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
As long as good prints are available, I say go for it. It's unfortunate some shows didn't fair very well in storage, so they've become barely SD. In that case, HD probably wouldn't be an asset. However, clean prints of classic shows would be awesome in HD.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If this went through, imagine how many complaints there would be of the framing for 16X9 or people who want them OAR at 4X3.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I'd like to see Hill Street Blues in HD. I don't know what film it was recorded on. But it is still shown on Bravo, and Bravo does have their HD channel and starvation for programming. It would be cool.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
It's a natural since all of these old programs are produced on 35 mm film,
No they were not. Many shows before were actually shot on 16mm. Only recently all shows are shot on 35mm or 1080p/24fps HD.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Here are some suggestions and feel free to let us know how they were filmed:

Lois and Clark: New Adventures of Superman

Andy Griffith Show

The Fall Guy

Any of the primetime soaps: Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1376
Here are some suggestions and feel free to let us know how they were filmed:

Lois and Clark: New Adventures of Superman

Andy Griffith Show

The Fall Guy

Any of the primetime soaps: Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty
Some of the primetime soaps are allready airing on Soapnet, so clearances would be a problem there.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that most of the network primetime programs from the sixties and seventies that were filmed were shot on 35 mm film, not 16 mm film. Many people mistakenly believe that these shows were shot on 16 mm film because we were used to seeing syndicated repeats that were distributed on 16 mm film.

Regarding the condition of the prints for these old programs -- a lot of them are probably in bad shape and would need to be restored, at a cost that might or might not be practical for such a channel. However, I've noticed that some restoration seems to be going on already -- anybody who has watched Bewitched recently may have noticed that a restoration has been done on most of the episodes of that series. And I remember a thread a few months back in here discussing Viacom's restoration of "I Love Lucy".

And, of course, Mark Cuban is doing a restoration on "Hogan's Heroes" -- the cost per episode is substantial, but it is worth noting that it is cheaper to restore a whole season of this show than it is to produce one new episode of most prime time sitcoms. I suspect that the cost of a single episode in the last season of "Friends" would probably pay for the cost of restoring the entire six season run of "Hogan's Heroes".

And, yeah...the Viacom connection seems like a natural one to me, as well. They could do it either as a new cable network, or could use it as daytime programming on the HD channels for their owned UPN stations.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I voted yes, if it were part of a package - but at the same time I don't want the commercials either while the show is in progress.

Some classic favorites in no particular order would be:

Gilligans Island

Brady Bunch

Seinfeld

Cheers

Taxi

Hawaii 5 0

Star Trek (the original)

Twilight Zone

M*A*S*H

All In The Family

Three's Company

Six Million Dollar Man

Charlies Angels

Dynasty

Dallas

I Dream Of Jeannie

Andy Griffith

Kojak

Happy Days

Love Boat

Fantasy Island

Perry Mason

Starsky & Hutch

Beverly Hills 90210

Melrose Place

It's easy to get carried away with so many bad shows on these days...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1376
If this went through, imagine how many complaints there would be of the framing for 16X9 or people who want them OAR at 4X3.
i guess, but hogan heros is a nice compromise in framing and it still looks very very good, and i not sure as many people who care as much on tv shows as say movies

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i wonder how many of those shows were shot on video, like threes campany ..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Angel
Cheers
With Mark Cuban's connections to Paramount for old series and movies, I expect to see this on HDNet relatively soon.

It was just restored by going back to the original 35mm elements and then transferred to a HD digital format. This HD was then used to make the new DVD masters (by down-res, of course).

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
> wonder how many of those shows were shot on video, like threes campany ..

I know that "All in the Family" was video, and that will hold true for anything else produced by Norman Lear ("The Jeffersons", "Maude", "Good Times", etc).

Shows from the sixties ("Brady Bunch", "Gilligan's Island", original "Star Trek") were all on film. Some seventies shows were on film (including "MASH"), and I gather that doing the finish out on tape become standard practice sometime in the eighties, but I don't know exactly when.

Consequently, we could expect to see lots of stuff from the sixties, a fair number of shows from the seventies, and probably much fewer from the eighties.

At some point the market will develop and we'll start seeing more of these old shows in HD...but I wonder how long that will take?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.