AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade. (brief Bio below).

I listen to Orchestra, Botti, Kruas, U2, The Black Crowes. That should give you an idea of my range of listening. Probably 50% Orch.

I am not looking for a theater system.

So for the Money M70's from Polk Direct Ebay - 349delivered, or 379 for series II (I like the look better).

However perhaps some may say that I should look at doing

RTI4 - 149 delivered

or

M50's 130 delivered.

Both of these options would be short term investments till I save up for a better set of speakers over the M70 and I can move the others into a second listening area.

I will be looking for a new Source and AMP to drive this at some point.

BRIEF BIO:

In the 90's I picked up a PSB theater system with a Marantz SR-93. I had the system set up for me. My ex-Wife HAS the speakers in her house. My Marantz died about a year ago. So I currently have a decent Yamaha that I hate and a DTA-100 driving some small sony's.

I play it loud on an occasion, but not so much, I really enjoy Full sound though. I am not a TWEAKER. I hate TWEAKING. I never enjoyed trying to match the sub with the speakers and such.

Any Advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Since these will be used after upgrading later on, give some thought to what you would want in the way of speakers in the second area ... including room size and layout there as well. If bookshelfs will serve the purpose in that space, then you can save a little money now. Of course you will definitely need a sub if going smaller. You will probably want a sub anyway even with the smaller towers in your list. The M70s should be fine if going solo ... although all speakers benefit from running with a decent sub.

From your descriptions, I would suggest you get a receiver with some form of room correction. I prefer Audyssey variants but MCACC, YPAO and others have their fans as well. Once setup is done, you can easily toggle the results on/off if they are not to your liking. Modern room correction allows non-tweakers to relax a bit, even if their listening space is far from ideal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really doesn't matter in regards to the future floor/vs bookshelf in terms of space.

I forgot to mention the room is 13x24 with 8' ceilings. All walls are insulated, but not the ceiling, though I sure wish it was.

Yes, I think an Audy. Eq receiver probably is a good idea as from what I have read that is some interesting technology.

I guess a quick summation, are the 70's a good speaker for what I am after, or should I invest in a decent lesser speaker (the 50's or RTI4) and wait to get something better.

I enjoy good music, but I am no professional by any imagination.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I have the original Polk Monior 70's and suggest you consider the Series II Monitor 70's from Newegg.com Sign up for their email newsletters and watch for some serious sale prices on the entire Moniter Series II lineup. You should be able to do even better on the price for a pair if you can wait.

Later, you can add a CS2 center channel speaker and have a serious "front 3" to start a surround system that will perform much better than the prices you paid would indicate.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Good advice above. The CS2 is an outrageously good performer for the money. I own one in Cherry and bought it for a C note on ridiculous NewEgg sale. I know you are not interested in a Theater setup now but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the room info. That is a fairly large space and I would go with the larger speaker.

As to your basic question, it is difficult to answer without having some idea of what you might upgrade to ... at least in terms of budget/quality difference. Personally I think you will not need to upgrade for a good while with the M70s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.