AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty old Pioneer CLD-704 LD player has begun giving a "no disc" error everytime a CD or LD is inserted for play. I popped the top off last night and what happens is the laser mechanism first moves to the outer LD position and lifts into place. Finding nothing there it then moves in to the CD position and lifts into place (I'm testing with a CD so I can see what's happening underneath). It doesn't recognize a disc there either so it moves back out to the standby position and gives the "no disc" error. At no point does the disc begin spinning. Does disc spin-up happen before or after it starts looking for a disc? If I knew that then I could isolate whether it's the motor or some other part that's gone south. Any help would be most appreciated as I'm hoping to get this thing running again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does putting the player in CD Direct mode have any effect? In this mode, it should only look for a CD and not an LD.

I think the player starts spinning the disc pretty much after the door closes -- my player has some internal mechanical problem where it will make a straining sound when I insert a disc.

If I do nothing, the player will eventually give up and eject the disc. If I give a sharp smack to the left side of the machine, whatever conflict is in effect is resolved and the disc will start playing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD Direct mode has no effect. I played around with inserting a CD then spinning it up to speed using my finger. When I do this the player still doesn't recognize the disc but just before giving the "no disc" error the motor starts to spin up for a second or two before shutting off.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Your Focus servo is not receiving a reflection back from the disc. It can be either the pickup or bad electronics, I seen both but 70% are the pickup. I new pickup will run you around $240 with tax and shipping and then it must be installed and aligned. You could also take a chance buying a good used CLD-D503 and use the pickup from that to try in your 704 but it will also need alignment.

You can write me at [email protected] if you want to discuss this further.

Kurtis

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can't really rationalize spending that much money to repair an aging LD player so I guess I'll just keep an eye out for another used one (the 704 only cost me $150 in the first place).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Kurtis, was the pickup from the 503 also used in the 97?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgrossman
Kurtis, was the pickup from the 503 also used in the 97?
No;

The 97 is from previous designs, the 503/703/704/79/99/S9 all use the same pickup.

Kurtis

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Warner
Thanks for the reply. I can't really rationalize spending that much money to repair an aging LD player so I guess I'll just keep an eye out for another used one (the 704 only cost me $150 in the first place).
If you don't want to fix it then write me at [email protected] as I could be interested in buying this to be used as spare parts.

Kurtis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.