AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a Pioneer CLD-D701 Laserdisc. It does not start the Laserdisc or CD spinning. All other motions seem to be correct. Head moves, focus moves up and down, if insert disc and say to go to side B head flips.

This does not appear to be completely DOA since once it did spin up and play a video properly (although only once for me.) I had it open due to a tray loading issue that I resolved. It played a laserdisc, I closed it up and now it is not working. I wonder if a connection was knocked loose somewhere?

Does anyone have a service manual or know where one can be downloaded, preferably for free? (I have found sites that will sell the download for about $15, but am not sure I want to through good money after bad.
)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
If you are not getting error codes then what does the display say. It should have LD on it if it thinks you have a LD loaded in the tray. If the you have LD on the display and press play then the spindle motor should start. You may have a bad spindle motor.

Do CD's play?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither CDs nor LDs play. The display does say LD when a LD is in and CD when a CD is in. I'll have to recheck to see if any error codes are displayed. I'll probably get a chance to play with it tomorrow and will repost what I find out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Pioneer CLD 1070 that occasionally exhibits this problem. I carefully clean the laser lense with a camel hair brush and alcohol which fixes the problem for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr /forum/post/18311918

If you are not getting error codes then what does the display say. It should have LD on it if it thinks you have a LD loaded in the tray. If the you have LD on the display and press play then the spindle motor should start. You may have a bad spindle motor.

Do CD's play?

Putting a CD in, it thinks there is a CD. Pressing play, the screen says play and then a second or two later it says stop. The spindle never even attempts to rotate. The same happens with a LD. No error codes are given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti /forum/post/0

I have a Pioneer CLD 1070 that occasionally exhibits this problem. I carefully clean the laser lense with a camel hair brush and alcohol which fixes the problem for me.

Tried cleaning the lens, but that did not help.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toups /forum/post/18318691

Putting a CD in, it thinks there is a CD. Pressing play, the screen says play and then a second or two later it says stop. The spindle never even attempts to rotate. The same happens with a LD. No error codes are given.

Tried cleaning the lens, but that did not help.

It is now looking like either the Spindle motor or motor drive electronics. If you want to try here is the link to Pioneer to order a spindle motor

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=VXM1049

You have to swing out the two top boards, remove the center bracket and upper clamp. Then there are large screws that hold the mechanical assembly in. remove those and you can lift out the mechanical assembly to replace the motor. I have seen the motor go bad but not the electronics on the CLD-97. On other mosels I have seen bad power supplies causing this.

Kurtis

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr /forum/post/18318965

It is now looking like either the Spindle motor or motor drive electronics. If you want to try here is the link to Pioneer to order a spindle motor

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=VXM1049

You have to swing out the two top boards, remove the center bracket and upper clamp. Then there are large screws that hold the mechanical assembly in. remove those and you can lift out the mechanical assembly to replace the motor. I have seen the motor go bad but not the electronics on the CLD-97. On other mosels I have seen bad power supplies causing this.

Kurtis

This is a CLD-D701 and the site shows a different replacement number:

Quote:
Part Number:

VXA1761

Description:

MOTOR(SPINDLE)

Retail Price:

$61.95

Status1:

Not Available

VXA1761 is either no longer available for purchase or your current login status is not authorized to purchase this item.

Available Substitute for VXA1761Substitute:

[ VXA1900 ]

[ VXA2107 ]

I guess I'll have to break down and order a manual before I go that route. Or maybe it is time to revisit e-bay.

I'll have to check the power supply also first.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable laserdisc folks on this board so let me put my similiar problem out there. I'll use this thread since I doubt we need multiple threads with each person's problems.

I have a Pioneer CLD-D703 which was working perfectly a few months ago. I had switched it out for an HLD-X9 and put it into storage. Well after a couple of months I decided to use it again with another TV. The unit turns on and the tray ejects. I put the laserdisc in, and it says on the display "tracks" with a blinking right arrow (which I think means it is trying to read the disk). At this point the tray opens again. I tried with numerous laserdiscs all of which work on my HLD-X9. I also tried a CD with the same results. Any ideas on where to start looking? Thanks....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr /forum/post/18325583

Sorry about confusion, thought we were talking about a CLD-97

No problem, someone else was using it as an example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts