AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to extend my Infinity P363 setup a bit with a super clean sub.

Usage is mostly light music, a lot of classical that does not go that low but some of it needs very clean low end or better leave the sub out of it.

I hear Emotiva is a good choice. Any other suggestions?

Any recommendations for *new or used* in under $500 range?

Room is 12x13x8, opened at one end.

10inch is good enough or should I go for 12inch?

Smaller size is prefered but not required.

Please give priority to clean clear tight bass in your recommendations. Nothing chest pounding is required.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,728 Posts
The RSL Speedwoofer might be an interesting candidate for your consideration - given your requirements.

http://rslspeakers.com/RSL_Speedwoofer_10.html

There is a 100% money back guarantee on the subwoofer - including shipping charges. That's pretty uncommon, and would ensure your satisfaction. It costs $750 and seems to fit your needs pretty well. I've never heard it before, but have spoken to the owner, he seemed like a genuine fellow and had considered coming to our KC subwoofer gathering to show off his product, but the timing didn't work out.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/20770431

The RSL Speedwoofer might be an interesting candidate for your consideration - given your requirements.

http://rslspeakers.com/RSL_Speedwoofer_10.html

There is a 100% money back guarantee on the subwoofer - including shipping charges. That's pretty uncommon, and would ensure your satisfaction. It costs $750 and seems to fit your needs pretty well. I've never heard it before, but have spoken to the owner, he seemed like a genuine fellow and had considered coming to our KC subwoofer gathering to show off his product, but the timing didn't work out.

If the OP had not mentioned keeping the price to $500 there are several subs that would be real contenders, notably, the SVS SB-12 NSD at the same $750 price point as the REO Speedwagon.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrik /forum/post/20769969

Looking to extend my Infinity P363 setup a bit with a super clean sub.

Usage is mostly light music, a lot of classical that does not go that low but some of it needs very clean low end or better leave the sub out of it.

I hear Emotiva is a good choice. Any other suggestions?

Any recommendations for *new or used* in under $500 range?

Room is 12x13x8, opened at one end.

10inch is good enough or should I go for 12inch?

Smaller size is prefered but not required.

Please give priority to clean clear tight bass in your recommendations. Nothing chest pounding is required.

I'm always somewhat bemused at when a poster very clearly states his needs, wants, and budget, folks come in with all kinds of suggestions that are way off target. Clearly the budget is under $500. Smaller size is preferred. Use is for mostly light music. The room is small. The poster wants clean bass and absolute bass depth is not needed. A small accurate sub is all he is asking for.

$750 is 50% over budget.

A large sub is not at all required for this users needs.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20770623

I'm always somewhat bemused at when a poster very clearly states his needs, wants, and budget, folks come in with all kinds of suggestions that are way off target. Clearly the budget is under $500. Smaller size is preferred. Use is for mostly light music. The room is small. The poster wants clean bass and absolute bass depth is not needed. A small accurate sub is all he is asking for.

$750 is 50% over budget.

A large sub is not at all required for this users needs.

My suggested looksie for the RSL Speedwoofer meets every requirement except for price and you can juggle that consideration with the fact he has a 100% money back guarantee. Don't critic me too bad for bringing something interesting to the table. :p The money back policy makes it very interesting indeed. Free trial - no risk - all because of the manufacturers confidence in his product.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm using The HSU MK3.2 in a 11x 13 room and it is VERY musical. Geddy Lee,Chris Squire and Billy Sheehan sound great on this sub along with drums and bass organ pedals!

I have it 2ft away from the front wall and 2 1/2 feet away from the right wall near the corner.

Oh yea almost forgot...it's on special right now!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp /forum/post/20771263

When I was looking into replacing my sub my budget was 1000 until guys on the forum convinced me to spend more. Glad I did.

Sometimes it's wise to suggest to someone to up their budget. If they are expecting too much from an inexpensive sub it they are likely to be dissapointed by such a sub, it's then good advice to up the budget. (The debt ceiling?
)

In this case, a decent quality and reasonably-priced small sub like the Emotiva should provide everything the OP is wanting. His needs, unlike the needs of many of us here, are quite modest.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
The emo subs are quite good for the money. I finally had a chance to hear the 12 and I was honestly impressed. If I wasn't building a couple 15's for my living room, I would have just went and bought 2 of them.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20771485

The emo subs are quite good for the money. I finally had a chance to hear the 12 and I was honestly impressed. If I wasn't building a couple 15's for my living room, I would have just went and bought 2 of them.

I had planned to get an Emo 10, but like you I'm in Canada and the return shipping costs with the number of amp failures scared me off.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Since the Emotive sub is out of stock

Id recomend the Episode 10" sice its in stock and is not only musical but for the size theres notmany that can put out the same deep clean bass without bottoming out and sound like crap.

The Cub Sub has impressive deep bass for a 10" and rivals a lot bigger subwoofer. They are available in white or black but the White is out of stock for the next two weeks.

PM me for more info and price if interested.

·
Super Moderator
14,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr /forum/post/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck /forum/post/0

Cub Sub:

- 8" driver

- 40-180Hz -6dB

And the 300w 12" sub only goes down to 30 (-6db). However, maybe they are extremely tight and musical. ive never heard one.

Ummm...okay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.