AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen everything from an Acoustic Research surge protector (at best buy) to a Monster power unit.

They both claim to "clean up" the power signals and give little or no interference in your audio and video signals.

How many of you are using these tings and do they make a difference in sound?

I currently do not notice any interference on my system. I know the advantages of a surge protector and I do have one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a panamax 1000+ and it is good insurance. Had an issue 18 months with it and the B&M vendor took it back immediately and gave me a new one.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It actually depends on the the line conditioner/surge protector and the resolution of your system. If you are using a projector and a large screen you will see the benefits of the line conditioner more readily than hear the changes in a typical audio setup. The expensive Monster Power products like the 7000 do what they claim but as to their perceived value (cost/benefit ) you will have to make that decision for yourself. As for the less expensive Monster Power products, I have never taken the time to critically evaluate the product. At $200 it did not seem worth the time. We installed them as secondary surge protectors not as line conditioners. For primary Surge protection I still prefer SurgeX ( www.surgex.com ) and they have a new product that will incorporate line conditioning. The line conditioner was designed by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers and I think have a lot of faith in Mr. Whitlock's abilities as an engineer.

Typically we install these products for clients who require surge protection and are not interested in taking the time to evaluate the supposed benefits of the line conditioner. However, for those clients who were so inclined we would loan them the unit and let them make their own decisions. I know that the Monster 7000 and the SurgeX have not effected the amplifiers connected to them adversely. But we have also not connected a Krell to them either ( Bryston, yes). I have had mixed results with Panamax. Their less expensive surge products are probably as good as the less expensive Monster Power products. I dislike the inflexibility of the Max 1000 in terms of turning its outlets on and off. Monster 7000 allows you more programming flexibility. I have no information on the Acoustic Research products.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.