AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having secured the bulk of my hardware E5200, Ati 4350, LG GGC-H20L, with Windows Vista 32bit, I am looking for software install tips from the PRO's!

I plan to use VMC with Media Browser. I will be archiving all of my standard DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD software over the next month or so. I have Power DVD 7.3 which came for the drive and also purchased TMT3 Platinum. will probably get Any DVD-HD as this seems to be the most stable. In the future will probably purchase the Xonar Hdav Slim card in order to Bitstream the audio to my Onkyo 805.

What order is the best for installing the various pieces in order to prevent the most headaches? Does it really matter? I plan to save standard dvd as TS files and the HD formatsd as iso, with probably the main movie only to save space.

Lot's to consider and would really appreciate helpful feedback.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
After years of building PCs, I have settled on OS+APPS in one partition, and everything else (data+media) on another partition/physical drive.

Because installing from scratch is time consuming + There are bad software + virus + Re-install from scratch once-in-a-while almost mandatory... I use GHOST. This allows me to Install OS (save as image1), Add all updates + drivers (save as image2), install one software or 2 (save as image3) etc. So at any given time, for whatever reason the system goes askew, I just simply restore from my last-known-to-be-good image (in less than 10 minutes) and saves me from having to re-install from absolute step#0. Recommended.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
figure out which codecs you want to use... in your case you will probably only need haali medial splitter and ffdshow. and don't keep changing them... you will run into conflicts.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16946243

figure out which codecs you want to use... in your case you will probably only need haali medial splitter and ffdshow. and don't keep changing them... you will run into conflicts.

I know these terms (above) are used by many on the forum, but are they necessary? What do these programs actually do that TMT3 and Powerdvd will not do?

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv /forum/post/16948538

I know these terms (above) are used by many on the forum, but are they necessary? What do these programs actually do that TMT3 and Powerdvd will not do?

Thanks

For what your planning you dont need them... They would be if you were converting things to mkv and playing them with something like vmc.

BTW if you are interested in saving space on your blu-ray rips mkv is totaly the way to go.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv /forum/post/16948538

Thanks

in the basic sense, if you want to play mkv files, you need those two pieces of software.

you need haali to open .mkv containers and then ffdshow to decode whatever is inside, h.264, xvid, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts