AVS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I currently stream HD 2.0 music from my fire stick 4k to my AVR and it sounds ok. My go to is playing 24/92 5.1 suuround files (ripped from dvdA discs) from my NAS using Plex. Has anyone been able to play Hi rez 5.1 music on your AVR from one of the streaming services? Do any of the streaming services even have surround sound content? Supposedly Amazon HD has Dolby Atmos surround sound tracks but my AVR will only play them in 2.0.
Tidal and Amazon have limited ATMOS content. Tidal ATMOS is only available on certain devices that support ATMOS, however it ends up being lossy. Amazon ATMOS is only available on Echo studio currently.

Plex is the way to go for your ripped files. You could also integrate your local files with the streaming services using Roon.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
You just plug the latest Amazon TV Fire stick 4k in a HDMI input of your AVR and you get a 2.0/192khz soundtrack.
For myself I prefer to configure the Fire stick output to DD+ as i get stronger bass frequencies and I am able to use the AVR dsp. The sampling rate is 48khz for DD+.
I am very satisfied by the result.
Fire TV stick supports HD but not UHD. You won't get 192K

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just connect your PC to your receiver like I said earlier and use an app like unified remote on your phone to control your pc. Adding other devices just increases complexity in my eyes. You could go the way of Blue Node 2, but then you’re increasing your cost by a significant margin. Imo direct connection of PC to receiver and using an app to control it is the simplest and best solution and removes complexity and other variables from the signal chain. Can your receiver even do bypass for its internal DAC?
why do you think he's not using hte dac inside the receiver? It's probably the best one he owns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I use a dedicated Home Theater PC and recently added Amazon Music. I run an HDMI cable from the PC to my pre/pro. Amazon offers an app for Windows which I use to play Amazon music. There are a number of settings you must select to get 24/192. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this. Once set up, I get 24/192 with no issues.

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV
Yep, the solution is converging on using an Amazon HD Music => HTPC => Receiver... Much thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
By sending the audio from the PC to receiver you would be using the DAC in the receiver.
Yeah, I guess I didn't understand that: If I point the Amazon HD Music to the output (USB, HDMI, etc.) on my pc, connected directly to my receiver, then I would be using the DAC in the receiver, and fidelity would be preserved. I'm a newb(!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So, I just make sure my PC output is maxed out, direct that output is sent to the receiver, then verify that Amazon HD is playing at max... thanks guys. (note that the receiver is not connected in these screen grabs)

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Fire TV stick supports HD but not UHD. You won't get 192K "

For sure I get 2.0 192 khz sampling rate audio stream to my AVR since the latest Fire stick update a few days ago.
The AVR is a Yamaha RX-A700 using Burr Brown DAC.
As I said before the sound is lacking some low frequencies.

·
Registered
462 Posts
So, I just make sure my PC output is maxed out, direct that output is sent to the receiver, then verify that Amazon HD is playing at max... thanks guys. (note that the receiver is not connected in these screen grabs)
View attachment 3074129 View attachment 3074130 View attachment 3074134
idk how you do this with amazon. possibly only available in their app

You want wasapi or asio output....which is basically bypasses all things windows related and just gives your receiver the flac or whatever it's streaming. Sometimes it's called "exclusive mode" under output in the media player*

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I use HEOS on a Denon AVR and get up to 192/24 FLAC from Amazon Music. I've had no luck with Tidal as it's support page notes that Denon doesn't support MQA used with Tidal Master audio files. Same story with Roku Ultra, which maxes out at 16 bit 48 or 44.1 kHz for both Amazon and Tidal. So far, the only way I've been able to stream hi-res audio is from Amazon Music using Denon HEOS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Schit Audio. Modi 3 DAC. USB out of PC to DAC in. DAC out to your amp in with RCA cable. Works for me til I get a new amp. I'm using powered speakers. Klipsch R28-pf. Schit DAC sounds better than klipsch decoder. also just added the schitt loki (EQ). Sounds great for a pc. Better than most of my friends "real" stereo

21 - 33 of 33 Posts