AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the cleanest way to mount a satellite dish to the roof? I notice that most times, the DirecTV installer will just run the cables down the side of the house, drill a hole to where the televisions will be, and voila, he's done. I'd rather just have the cables go straight into the attic and do the wiring inside. I'm concerned about drilling into the roof, though - afraid of leaks. Do you mount a plate on the underside of an overhang, run the wires to it, and then run everything inside from there? Any suggestions (or pictures) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do alot of custom installs. I would suggest not going directly through your roof with your wiring, instead try and go inside the attic from one of the sides of the house. Using some heavy duty screws to secure you dish into the roof isn't a problem though, just be sure to put silicone between the mounting plate and your roof. The shorter the run the better, but don't forget about having a good line of sight of the sky and keep that mounting pole level. Two of the biggest mistakes people make.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Often you can slip in through the attic vents on the sides of the house. Be sure to leave a drip loop on the cable so that you don't have rain running down the cable and into the attic.

..Doyle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.