AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total FP newbie here.

I recently purchased an Epson Pro Cinema 800 (refurb from Epson for only $483 shipped). It has started the ball rolling now I'm planning my theater room. I have a new construction home and the game room has nice flat primed walls and wall to wall carpet. Here is my blank slate:

I'm now thinking about putting the screen on the outside wall (right side of drawing) so that it covers the window when pulled down. I have a 55" RP so I'd like this to really stand out, so I'm thinking 100-inch

But you know a lot better than I. Given that I only have a 720p projector and my room dimensions what should I go with? I can see myself upgrading the projector if I end up using the theater a lot so I don't want to go with an ebay screen. I'd love to stay under $500 but please tell me if this is unrealistic. I hear a lot about Da-Lite. Are they a good entry level screen that could also work well for 1080p?

Any other suggestions on room setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are several sub $500 screen options out there, I'll list the ones I know of, cheapest to highest and just use the search feature to research them.

1. Screen Paint (check the DIY screen thread)

2. Build your own screen (again DIY thread)

3. eBay seller:shoppingdeals , Jamestown screens are what there called.

3a. Amazon has a couple cheap screens( I've not heard any reviews on these though)

4. Focupix screen

5. Vapex fixed frame, visual apex is the seller

6. Carada ~$500 and up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would like to utilize the right side wall so I don't think a DIY screen (paint or fabric) will work or will a fixed frame screen.

Are there any dramatic benefits to a fixed frame screen?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatame /forum/post/19533263

Well I would like to utilize the right side wall so I don't think a DIY screen (paint or fabric) will work or will a fixed frame screen.

Are there any dramatic benefits to a fixed frame screen?

Cheaper. Easier to get properly tensioned (no waves and wrinkles). Able to design room around it. Easier to do acoustic transparent.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not sure how indepth you want to make this project, but another option that would require a little bit more work would be to build a false wall about 24-30" out from that right wall. Your room is over 19' so you could spare the space.

Then you would have the option of the larger Fixed frame screen with your speakers on the sides and center channel either above or below,(depending on your ceiling height, which is?)

And another option (a little bit more work and planning required) would be an Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen. You would then have the option of going as large as you want with the screen (limited by ceiling height and PJ ofcourse), and placeing all the front speakers and Sub behind the screen wall in optimum locations, including your center channel which could now be at the same height as your Left and Right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Give serious consideration to an AT screen setup. You can build an inexpensive "temporary" AT screen for a few hundred $. Add in a $100 for false wall materials and you're almost there. The bigger issue is speakers. If you already have your LCRs then that might rule out an AT setup based on their size. But if you have low profile towers, in-walls or something similar that will fit nicely behind the screen, then the AT route is worth considering. Advantages: No speaker clutter (better WAF), MUCH better theater experience. Disadvantages: more work up front to build a wall and screen (plans for screen/screen frames can be found on this site or others), and more $. But once you have your temp screen, AT or otherwise, you can go with it for quite awhile before jumping in with a "real" screen.

Based on your room layout, I agree with ChiefJC: Use the rightmost wall for the screen. The doors at the other end lend themselves to entering the room from the rear. Also, bigger wall for screen should your projector and budget allow.

FWIW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts