AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting the infamous voltage issue with my 805 and EP2500...I've read that there's a mod to get the art cleanbox to get down to 5hz...a couple of questions:

1.) What's the difference between the cleanbox and the cleanboxpro ?

NOTE: The part number of the cleanbox in my link does say "CLEANBOXPRO" in the part number but it looks different then the cleanboxpro link that I have.

My concern is what if I can't mod the cleanboxpro? My guess is it's just newer

2. Should I screw the cleanbox and just get the MIC2200 for an extra $40? Is it worth the extra $40?

3. What other options are there that's under $100? or less

4. Some folks are saying i should just crank up the gain on the EP2500
bad idea?

thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would recommend the mic2200--it doesn't need a mod, has an adjustable highpass filter, mic power supply, and iirc, you can get a PEQ out of it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
WAIT! I've got an 805 running to an EP2500 with no issues (I can easily push the EP2500 to clipping even with the sub level set to -5dB). Before you drop money unnecessarily make sure you've done the following:

EP2500 attenuators on max (these are different than gains on a sub amp-they're made to be run all the way up, turning them down just cuts the input)

Subwoofer out on 805 set to max (this could cause clipping of the output signal but try it and see before spending $$$ - you'll know if you're clipping the input signal, the sub will make kind of a Fuh-Fuh-Fuh-Fuh sound)

Set other speakers levels low on the 805 (yes, you would then have to turn the volume up higher than normal but it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you're not clipping the sub signal)

If you've tried all 3 and still can't get your sub calibrated flat with your mains (or can't get as much output as you'd like from the sub and the EP2500 ISN'T clipping) then you may need to get a cleanBox/mic2200.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18284172

WAIT! I've got an 805 running to an EP2500 with no issues (I can easily push the EP2500 to clipping even with the sub level set to -5dB). Before you drop money unnecessarily make sure you've done the following:

EP2500 attenuators on max (these are different than gains on a sub amp-they're made to be run all the way up, turning them down just cuts the input)

Subwoofer out on 805 set to max (this could cause clipping of the output signal but try it and see before spending $$$ - you'll know if you're clipping the input signal, the sub will make kind of a Fuh-Fuh-Fuh-Fuh sound)

Set other speakers levels low on the 805 (yes, you would then have to turn the volume up higher than normal but it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you're not clipping the sub signal)

If you've tried all 3 and still can't get your sub calibrated flat with your mains (or can't get as much output as you'd like from the sub and the EP2500 ISN'T clipping) then you may need to get a cleanBox/mic2200.

Same here. I'm also using the 805 directly driving the EP2500. All that is needed is the special RCA to XLR adapter cable which I simply made myself.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hi there,

Quote:

I have to disagree on the above. I have an Onkyo 876 and if I set my Gains on my EP4000 to max I have to set my Onkyo sub out trim to -1db to get 80db measured on the spl meter and that is 5db hot already.

You must be running your sub REALLY hot if you have both on max.

cheers

graham

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
My 805 works fine with my EP2500. I have my EP gains at 12 o'clock and my sub level trim at 0.

I used to use my DEQ2496 for HPF (never really used it for eq) but decided I don't really need it anymore.. Which is also conveniently for sale

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lee240 /forum/post/18288407

ok thanks lennon and tsloms...

Right now I have the following:

805 subwoofer out --> RCA Y splitter --> eQ.2 (subsonic filter) --> RCA to 1/4 mono plugs --> DSP1124P --> 1/4 mono to XLR plugs --> EP2500

I will give your techniques a shot...

I have an older Onkyo TX-SR601>mic2200>EP2500. Not using boost with 2200, running the EP gains WOT and 0db out from the AVR, just right for me. May depend some on your sub's efficiency/impedance and your taste as well.

IMO you should bypass everything for two tests: first run from the 805 straight to the EP with the adapters you have. Then try making an adapter cable with RCA plug>xlr or 1/4" TRS plug into the EP, NOT connecting shield (pin 1 or S), only pins 2 and 3 (T/R). In my system this caused problems with hum and attenuation when the shield input of the EP was connected to signal common, but YMMV. You only need to make one, just set the EP dipswitches 4 & 5 to parallel and use input 1.

Also, as I have commented in the past, the 1124P has a rated FR of 20-20K (-3 db), so I am not so sure how appropriate these are for sub-woofer use, since I have not seen any third party FR testing. The eQ.2 is not recommended for driving a "pro" amp directly due to output limitations, documented on ED's site.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhillsguy /forum/post/18288770

I have an older Onkyo TX-SR601>mic2200>EP2500. Not using boost with 2200, running the EP gains WOT and 0db out from the AVR, just right for me. May depend some on your sub's efficiency/impedance and your taste as well.

IMO you should bypass everything for two tests: first run from the 805 straight to the EP with the adapters you have. Then try making an adapter cable with RCA plug>xlr or 1/4" TRS plug into the EP, NOT connecting shield (pin 1 or S), only pins 2 and 3 (T/R). In my system this caused problems with hum and attenuation when the shield input of the EP was connected to signal common, but YMMV. You only need to make one, just set the EP dipswitches 4 & 5 to parallel and use input 1.

Also, as I have commented in the past, the 1124P has a rated FR of 20-20K (-3 db), so I am not so sure how appropriate these are for sub-woofer use, since I have not seen any third party FR testing. The eQ.2 is not recommended for driving a "pro" amp directly due to output limitations, documented on ED's site.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice...i've read around alot that the 1124P should add quite a bit of value once it's tuned...even if it's just 20hz to 60hz, that should be worth it...

I do have some problems understanding what you wrote above (in bold), since I am kinda newbie'ish at this making adapters stuff...

This is what eD says "Also note if you are using a Pro-Amplifier you may need to boost the signal after the eQ.2 in order to have the proper voltage for your

amplifier."

I'm wondering if the eQ.2 reduces the voltage that comes from the 805 when it goes out of the eQ.2. Maybe I'll have to give them a call...if anyone knows, let me know...

And then again, what about when it comes out of the 1124P? is it reduced further yet?

I haven't had a chance to play with my toys yet, but tomorrow evening for sure...let me know if anyone thinks of anything else...thanks guys

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lee240 /forum/post/18289112

I do have some problems understanding what you wrote above (in bold), since I am kinda newbie'ish at this making adapters stuff...

Go here and make a cable like either #17 or #18.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/18288498

Hi there,

I have to disagree on the above. I have an Onkyo 876 and if I set my Gains on my EP4000 to max I have to set my Onkyo sub out trim to -1db to get 80db measured on the spl meter and that is 5db hot already.

You must be running your sub REALLY hot if you have both on max.

cheers

graham

To clarify I didn't mean to do all of those things and then you should be level matched (like you said you should be WAY hot with those settings!). I meant for the OP to first try increasing the attenuator on the EP2500 to level match, if you've got that maxed and you still aren't level matched (or aren't getting what you want from the sub WITHOUT clipping the EP2500) then start increasing the SW level on your AVR to level match, IF (BIG if) you still can't get the sub level matched (or aren't getting what you want from the sub WITHOUT clipping the amp) but are close then turn down the other speakers until level matched. IF (even bigger if) you still can't get the sub where you want it and you're not clipping the amp THEN you need something to boost the signal

The preferred route would be to have the SW level in your AVR somewhere between -5dB and -1dB then adjust the EP2500/EP4000 attenuators until you're level matched. The problem is some AVRs (or perhaps more accurately some users' gain structures) can't provide enough voltage to the amp to ever level match the subs to the mains (even with attenuators on max and SW trim level matched and other speakers levels mnimized) in which case they need one of the devices the OP was asking about.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion. I think all the OP will need to do will be to up the attenuators on the EP2500. I have my SW trim on my 805 at around -5 and the EP2500 (bridged) set just under 1/2 way up (12 o'clock) to be level matched.

Is the eQ.2 in the signal chain as a HPF for protection (ported sub)?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hi there,

Yep! sure does. I can't have my gain on my EP4000 on max as it introduces too much noise through the subs. I hear a constant buzzing but with it on my my receiver is at about -1db.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok I got a problem

For testing purposes, I turned down the speakers on the 805, turned up the sub, hooked the sub rca to the subwoofer pre-out on the 805, that rca goes to a Y cable and goes directly into the EP2500 two inputs...

The subs are not moving, AT ALL, this makes me believe that the RCA pre-out must not be working...

Is there a way to test the pre-out with a multimeter?

Any ideas on troubleshooting? I'm going to try and find another subwoofer rca cable and swap them to make sure the current RCA is not bad...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts