AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I cleaned my HS20 filter and gave a the vent holes a quick vacuuming. When I got everything back up and running I now have a large (6-8" diameter) red 'something' on the very bottom of my screen. It looks like a red flashlight is being shone(?) on the screen and flickers. Any ideas what this is and how I can get rid of it ???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Perhaps you introduced a huge dustball into the hs20 optics

when you were using the vacuum cleaner and attempting to

remove dust. You may want to search and see if you can find

anyone's proceedures here for cleaning dust blobs.

-Jeremiah

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,129 Posts
Check out the FAQ or search for "dust blob".

The quickie test is defocus and eventually you'll realize you also have a very large dust microscope. The fix is to pull the cover from your projector (probably voiding the warrantee, check with Sony) and shoot some compressed air into three panel openings. Radio Shack sells cans of compressed air which is what you should use. Don't blow into it with your mouth, you'd be better off wiping it with a cat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thegeek
Check out the FAQ or search for "dust blob".

Don't blow into it with your mouth, you'd be better off wiping it with a cat.
yeah, get your girlfriend to blow, but only if she's got the experience. otherwise the warranty is void.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is much more than a dust blob. The red that I mentioned was about 6-8" in diameter also has a "tail' running vertically almost half way up the screen. You only notice it on a black screen. I had a look in the lens, looking up from the botton, and could actually see what looks like a piece of fibre flittering away in there. I am almost certain that this is off the HS-20 filter. It must have come loose when i cleaned the filter and then got sucked into the unit. I have tried spraying air into the available openings but to no avail. I guess I'll give Sony a call.

Just a warning to all of you HS20 owners to be very careful when cleaning your filter to make sure there are no loose fibres on the backside of the filter when you place it back into the unitn Otherwise, you could be viewing "Sony's comet" like I am. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.