AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend Brian Hampton from this forum dropped by and helped me clean the lenses of my projector. Took about an hour and a half and the results are WOW!

The blue lens especially looked like it had a layer of film on it. I had set my blue gain to +10 from factory, but after cleaning it that was no longer necessary.

Everything was clearer, cleaner and brighter. It looked like...well, it looked like someone cleaned the lenses.

My projector was manufactured in 1996 and had 1800 hours. Anybody that hasn't done this yet should definitely do it! I feel like I have a new projector!

Bryan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been hearing that it does help out alot. I attempted to do this last weekend on my 1252Q ceiling mounted and in the manual it say to remove the power block. I attempted to do this but after disconnecting the wire harness there were still plenty of wires still connected preventing the removal or the PB. After removal of the lens is there any special tool required for reasembly or do you just clean the lens screw it back on on and refocus>? Glad to see you got the most out of your PJ and am hopping to do the same....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I attempted to do this on my 1271 yesterday. I also have mine ceiling mounted so I had big problems when I tried to remove the power block and the HV block. I put it all back again and will do this later when I get someone to help me take it down.

Are really looking forward to see if it makes the change I hope it does.

//Simon

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You don't have to remove the power block or anything else on the 1252 or 1271 to take the lens's off. You just need a long philips screwdriver, a flashlight and an assistant to hold the light. It is relatively easy to get to the 4 philips screws that hold the lens in place. The screws are self retaining so they don't fall out of the lens housing when you loosen them. Once the screw are loose, carefully take the lens assy off without grabing or binding on any wire. Clean with a soft rag or tissue and put lens back on with the adjustment ring in the same position it was in when you disassembled it. You can also carefully clean the CRT surface while you have the lens off.

This is clearly the most worthwhile tweek you can do to any of the Sony 12xx projectors that have aver 1000 hrs on them. There is a black soot that build up (especially on the back of the blue lens) that really takes away from brightness and sharpness of the picture. I believe the proximity of the HV to the lens causes an electrstatic attraction of dirt.

Need less to say unplug your projector and leave it off for a few hours before attempting this so that everything has a chance to discharge.

We do this to each and every projector se ship to customers as part of our "cleanup" of the unit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the reply Simon. I find it hard to believe (even after trying) that this can't be done while on the cieling. Is there anyone out there that has cleaned the lens while ceiling mounted.

Can't imagine taking that PJ down again...ewww....

I did not have one on hand but what about a 14'' or so philips and remove the 4 screws with out removing the power block...?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Terry......

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by usccma007
Thanks for the reply Simon. I find it hard to believe (even after trying) that this can't be done while on the cieling. Is there anyone out there that has cleaned the lens while ceiling mounted.
Mine was on the ceiling! We simply took the covers off (3 pieces), and Brian used a REALLY long screw driver to reach the screws. Some of them took a little bit of effort but they all came out without removing the HV block or taking the projector down.

One of the smartest things Sony did was to use retaining screws so they don't come out.

Here's a picture with the projector still on the ceiling, HV block still in place, and all three lenses removed:

http://tachyonic.net/photos/crts.jpg

Be VERY CAREFUL though - there's lethal voltage in there even when unplugged.

Bryan

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Hi,

Hiko,

The screwdriver I used was a phillips #2 that was about 20 inches long. It doesn't need to be that long I think 14 or 10 inches may be enough. As long as it's longer than the lenses themselves. I just happened to have one that size in my toolbox.

I think the #2 phillips is the one most people are familiar with. There is a number #1 which is for small screws and a #3 for big screws. But maybe I'm remembering this number scheme incorrectly. Basically just a long phillips screwdriver will get it done. Be carefull not to scratch the lenses with the screwdriver (or anything else.)

Bryan, That was fun. I was glad to spend time with you and your HT.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Mike,

I have taken off the lens's while the projector is on the ceiling. Not hard, just be careful as the lens assembly is heavier than it looks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just two weeks ago I did the same thing for my Sony VPH 1251Q. The result was breath taking. It made everything so much better. Felt very stupid why I didn't do it earlier and could have enjoy the projector a lot more. It didn't take no more than 1 hour to clean it and put everything back together. Good thing my projector is siting on a coffee table so I did it myself. But the sad part is re-calibration took me 2 weeks to get it done right. Because now I really want to make sure it is at is best.

I will be re-taking more screenshot in the near future and posting it on the forum for feedbacks and comments. Thank you for eveyone here making my projector looking much better now. Just wish I did it earier so I could have enjoy it a lot more.

Take Care

Bill

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
You don't have to remove the power block or anything else on the 1252 or 1271 to take the lens's off. You just need a long philips screwdriver, a flashlight and an assistant to hold the light. It is relatively easy to get to the 4 philips screws that hold the lens in place. The screws are self retaining so they don't fall out of the lens housing when you loosen them. Once the screw are loose, carefully take the lens assy off without grabing or binding on any wire. Clean with a soft rag or tissue and put lens back on with the adjustment ring in the same position it was in when you disassembled it. You can also carefully clean the CRT surface while you have the lens off.

This is clearly the most worthwhile tweek you can do to any of the Sony 12xx projectors that have aver 1000 hrs on them. There is a black soot that build up (especially on the back of the blue lens) that really takes away from brightness and sharpness of the picture. I believe the proximity of the HV to the lens causes an electrstatic attraction of dirt.

Need less to say unplug your projector and leave it off for a few hours before attempting this so that everything has a chance to discharge.

We do this to each and every projector se ship to customers as part of our "cleanup" of the unit.

Terry, Is the cleaning process any different for a 1272? Thanks

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Hi,

Speaking of the lens cleaning police....

One must be very, very carefull with these lenses. New lenses from Sony are roughly $1200 if they are still available. Used lenses may be found for cheaper. The front of the lens has a fragile lens coating to improve contrast. The back of the lens and the tube face are very bad places to make a scratch. I use a special cloth from Lenscrafters that's said to be lens coating safe. Even though that's true it has to be used carefully and the corners of the cloth are rough and must not be used. Also a small spec of something on the cloth will likely make a scratch.

I scratched the lens coating of one of my lenses before. I was able to get a very cheap replacement but it was not something I can recommend everyone goes through.

Thanks And Good Luck,

Brian

p.s. It's easy to mistakingly put the lenses back upside down making the focus adjustments out of reach. This is not so bad but it's a small pain to take it back apart again so heads up.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Just so everyone knows, the reason the blue tube attracts the dirt is because of the close proximity of the HV leads and transformers (right next to the blue lens and tube)

The BArco 800 series solved the problem by putting foam between the lens and the tube, preventing dust from entering the gap.

Problem is now after 8-11 years, the foam slowly turns to goo, which is why I have black marks all over my living room carpet...:mad:

Curt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to hear that it's possible to do this without removing the power block and with the projector still attached to the roof.

I sure know what I will do today.:D But I will be really careful, don't want any scratches destroying my evening......

//Simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have now removed and cleaned all three lenses of my 1271. I personally thought that it was easier to also remove the power block even though I have it ceiling mounted because I had problem with one screw on each tube, got stuck in fans etc. and I couldn't get it out. Anyway, now it's all done and I have also done a fast calibration and are about to see if this have had any result on the picture.

//Simon

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Samshort,

Yes, it's the same on a 1272.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Bean,

To get the black soot off will require more than compressed air. A lens cleaning cloth works well, so does H2O but can leave spots if you don't get it all off. Use tissue paper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.