AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't see any threads devoted to this topic. (found a few suggestions here and there) Since many people are buying used 1031q PJs, what are suggested steps in cleaning the unit? Im finishing the ceiling

mount this weekend and would like to clean the unit before i stick it up there...or is it necessary?

-paul

·
Registered
16,592 Posts
Paul , it is recommended with most Sony crt units that you remove the lens block and clean the tube face and inner lens with a special cloth [ don't use Windex ] . These units are notorious for building a black residue on the blue tube from the H.V. power unit . Be very careful while taking the lens block of it is very heavy and very easy to scratch the inner lens and tube face .

-- I use a Photographers microfiber cleaning cloth that is designed to clean camera lenses . Can be picked up at most camera shops for under $10.00 .

-- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just as Jason said, plus would I use a can of spray air to hose out the circuit boards if there is dust on them. (I avoid the solvent type cleaners unless there is a specific reason to use them.)

Cleaning the boards will help to reduce any potential for internal arcing in HV sections, and it will allow the unit to run slightly cooler, theoretically increasing the life. I usually clean fans by hand- It probably wouldn't hurt them, but Ive never been fond of spinning them with compressed air due to the high RPM.

--Kieth

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any way to tell if you need to clean the PJ? Or should it just be

done on a periodic basis? If so whats the norm? Im trying to decide

if I really need to clean it or if i should just wait.

-paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.