AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a DALite 120" letter box screen. It is a snap and remains uncovered at all times. It is three years old.

I noticed shiny spots on the fabric about two years ago. Have used soap and water to try and remove them. The spots are a little bigger than a pixel. Can't see them unless you look at an angle up close. However when the projector is on, to the observant ones, there are several white outs. It is like burnt out pixels. If I wash with just water, the rest of the night, 90% of them can not be seen.

I have had my local dealer, HI FI Heaven, in Green Bay, WI out to look at it. The guy coming out to the house, can see the shiny areas but had no clue and when he asked the guys at the shop they were not sure either.

Smoke free home, no wild parties, because the dots remind me of opening up a soda can and spraying it from one end to another and letting it dry on. If I did not have them all over the 120" screen, I would of guess that, but that is not it.

Anyone with a similiar problem?

Or ideas what I can use on the screen? To this point I have only use water and very mild soap. It has not helped.

If you want to see the screen, it is pictured, however this picture does not show the dots. Thanks in advance for your input.

Don

· Registered
1,632 Posts
yep... not with dalite but with a draper vinyl based screen. As you say, the dots are small and reflective.... remind me of a "mist spray"... here and there. Others have seen similar kinds of conditions on various screens. They don't come off with soap and water. If you have a vinyl based screen then "hard approach" is things like wd40 or acetone.... but only for a non-coated vinyl based screen. This works but they come back as far as I can figure out but not necessarily in the same place. I figure that they are moisture droplets that float around in the air from cooking and such and are "attracted" to vinyl cause of a slight static charge over the whole screen. They dry on like "micro baked enamel".

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks budwich. You are right on the money with your description of my issue. I contacted Da-Lite and they wanted to know what type of fabric it is, and acted as if they never heard of the "mist spray", and were giving me directions for a dirty screen. It has been over a year since I contacted them, I will try again to see if there are any updates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.