AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try very hard to take immaculate care of my DVD's. I have one that has major skipping problems. Upon examination, I've noticed no scratches but it has lots of fingerprints. What is the best method of removing these without doing further damage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Find a soft lint free cloth, and either use it dry or slightly moistened. If there is grease on the disc, use Fantastik spray, quickly apply a water rinse, and use the cloth to pat dry. One of the few cloths I have found that does not scratch the surface is made by Fellowes (part # 99768).

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=338434

Any lens cloth should work. Rinse it out with distilled water, not tap water.

If anyone knows of a polish that can remove hairline scratches without introducing new ones, please provide a link. I have not seen anything short of a machine buffer that works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ollie.

Does anyone have experience with those DiskDr devices. Do they work in removing scratches, or do they do more harm than good?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Consumer Reports gave a mediocre review about DiskDr. I've used the paste on CDs with what looked like safe results in removing fine scratches - never tried it on a DVD.

I've taken dirty DVDs and rinsed them under water, wiped them in a circular motion all over with a lotion soap, thoroughly rinsed them off and then dried them with an old T-shirt or just held them by the edges and shaken off the water or patted them dry with a paper towel, and they look and play just fine, and the skipping stopped!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I tried one of the cleaning devices with a rubberized wheel and a crank handle. It ruined a dvd. Thankfully, Best Buy took back the device and gave me a full refund.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
If there is grease on the disc, use Fantastik spray, quickly apply a water rinse, and use the cloth to pat dry.
I once cleaned some plastic lensed glasses with fantastic and the stuff put pits in the anti-scratch coating. (This was probably over a decade ago) Hopefully it's compatable with the type of plastic used in DVD discs though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Doesn't Fantastic has ammonia in it? IF so I'd be really careful as to what plastic I let Fantastic touch.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Glad there are lots of options. I treat my DVDs like my $650 progressive eyeglass lenses. First I wash my hands with mild dish-washing soap. Then while holding the DVD on the edges with my left hand I take my soapy fingers of my right hand and move in a radial fashion across the DVD from the middle to outside of the disk like spokes in a bicycle wheel. Go round and round until the smudges are off. Then I rinse it very well and blot dry with a very soft cloth like you use for your spectacles. Then dry the hole so it doesn't get wet when you tilt it. That works very well for me and seems very safe. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I have had very good luck with a product called CD Playright to repair disks that have been scratched to the point they will not play. It's not one of those cheesy machines, but a compound that buffs the scratches out if applied correctly. It has saved a few previously viewed purchases!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I wash all used DVDs I buy with Ivory hand soap and warm water. It's plastic and hand soap is optimized for the removal of finger oils. I dry them radially with a soft cloth. It works perfectly fine, and I've never had any problems down the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I correct myself. It's Windex that has ammonia in it and that's what a friend of mine used to clean his laserdiscs (to my shock and horror)

Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH

Three cheers for the Red, Green and Blue

Ya know it took me a minute to figure that out. But veryy funny though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.