AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I was wondering if anyone could help me with how and what to use to clean the lens on my sharp lcd projector,nowhere in the ownwers manual does it say what you should use or how to go about doing it!!Thanks Jim

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a different projector, however, I usually use a cleaning cloth that is made to clean eyeglasses. You should be able to use the eyeglass cleaning spray as well (although I'd spray it on the cloth and not the lens). I also use a can of air to blow dust and such off the lens.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Refrain from cleaning your projector lens as much as possible. If it really is necessary to clean your lens I suggest that you use lens tissues and lens cleaning fluids. You can purchase these kits in a camera store, Kodak makes what you need. Try using compressed air to remove dust before cleaning. Make sure the air is for lenses (no liquid on release) - again available at a camera store. I would refrain from using any eye glass cloth or cleaning material.

Tony C

Tony C

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Be VERY careful in that many modern lenses for projectors have coatings on them and the use of "lens cleaning solutions" may dissolve and/or smear them.

The best thing, IMHO, is simple distilled/RO water and an ultra fine lint free paper.

Keep in mind that most of what you see (dust, etc) on your lens surface does not impact image at all - it is not in the focal plane of the image. So unless you have a really heavy buildup of crud (such as might occur if you smoke), best bet is probably to leave it alone.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
423 Posts
Before using any kind of cloth, it is imperative to first remove dust and grit from the lens surface. Otherwise you will be grinding particles into and scratching the lens coating. I tell my patients the same thing about their eyeglasses. If you use a commercial lens spray and one of those 'special' eyeglass cleaning cloths, you just smoosh around the dust, grind some in, and wipe some off. Eventually leads to scratches, good for selling more glasses.

With glasses I reccommend holding them under running water, and then applying a bit of nonabrasive dish detergent. Still under the water, wash with clean fingers. Rinse well, and then dry with a soft clean lint-free cloth.

Since it's probably not a good idea to hold your projector under running water, especially if it's still plugged in, I would first of all clean it a lot less often than you think. If you must, first spray off the dust with compressed air. Then you can spray a bit of lens cleaner, or very dilute detergent solution, onto the lint free cloth, gauze, or Qtips, and wipe carefully. Make believe you are restoring fine art.

I've thought of using an antistatic gun before spraying with compressed air, but haven't tried it yet. If you never touch your lens, this may be all you will ever need to do.

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Costanza:
Refrain from cleaning your projector lens as much as possible. If it really is necessary to clean your lens I suggest that you use lens tissues and lens cleaning fluids. You can purchase these kits in a camera store, Kodak makes what you need. Try using compressed air to remove dust before cleaning. Make sure the air is for lenses (no liquid on release) - again available at a camera store. I would refrain from using any eye glass cloth or cleaning material.

Tony C

Tony C
I am not sure I agree on the tissue. Owning eyeglasses I have had the occasion to need to use a tissue to clean them. I have always found tissues to leave particles on the lens. I cannot imagine why a non-lint soft eyeglass cloth made to clean plastic and glass eyewear, would be worse to use than a tissue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.