AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best solution for cleaning these items. I have seen some special cleaning solutions for special screens/glass, but I'm not sure where to get this stuff from.

Maybe plain Windex will work? I don't know!

Anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Hi,

Don't use water. Do not use water.

There is a cleaning lenses thread somewhere here a few posts below that goes into detail.

I once let water dry on a lens and it left spots that had to be buffed off removing the lens coating.

So, please, don't use water.

Use lens cleaning stuff and be carefull.

---BRian

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Radioshack.com (and I assume Radio Shack, too) has a $6 tube of a cleaning gel for tvs, LCDs, etc. which is anti-static and works fantastic!!!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Most photography stores stock lens cleaning cloth's and solution for cleaning lenses. Just don't be to anal about getting it perfect.

You'll end up doing more harm than good. For the most part a little accumulation of dust won't be evident on the screen. Lens brushes do a great job of getting what needs to be removed off without damaging any lens color corrective coating.

Chip S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best cleaner that I have found for projector lenses is Klear Screen from Meridrew Enterprises. http://www.klearscreen.com

Klear Screen is a harder to get here in Australia, but within the USA, you can get it at Fry's or via Meridrew Enterprises' mail order service.

The "KS-2 Starter Kit" with a 2 oz pump spray bottle and aero-space grade rayon cleaning cloths sells via mail order for US$9.95 (+tax/shipping).

The label on the bottle says that it is a "Laptop and Computer Screen Cleaner", but the fine print on the label specifically states that it is suitable for cleaning video projector lenses, CD's, laserdiscs, and DVD's.

Klear Screen's parent company packages the same product for Mitsubishi as a dedicated video projector lens cleaner for their own line of projectors.

The Klear Screen cleaner/cloth combination is used by both CNN and ESPN in the US for cleaning their "broadcast-grade" camcorder optics.

I have found that it is also great to clean the screen of my Pronto.

James

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I stopped using cleaning fluid completely unless there is a fingerprint or other non-dust residue. Just breath on the lens and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Same goes for the mirror in an RPTV.

Don't get too carried away as there always seems to be some dust inside the lens assembly which can't be removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
walmart carries endust for electronics anti static wipes. these work perfect clean with the wipe then dry with toilet paper or a paper towel. these also work great to clean cigarette tar off of it. i got my tv from a night club so it was filled with tar.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Here's the formula I use:

1 drop dishwashing detergent (not soap!)

(or Kodak Photoflo if you have it)

1/3 cup 99% Isopropyl alcohol

1 2/3 cup distilled water

This is a "standard" optics cleaning solution. I've been using it for years. It can be sprayed on and wiped off with a microfiber cloth, but be extremely careful if you do this that you don't let liquid run into the lens elements. Better to spray the cloth if you are not sure.

Microfiber cloths are available from Orion Telescope,
http://www.telescope.com/cgi-bin/Ori...duct/View/G071

William

·
Registered
510 Posts
Over here we can buy special tissues for cleaning PC monitors.

It leaves no trail and does not attrack dust.

I have used that on my G70.

The optics looked clean, and the picture was ok. But I thought why not ?

When I took the lenses off, the first think I noticed was dust (how did it come in there ?), the G70 has nice closed units. It was not much by the way.

Also the inside was very dull (hope I used the right word), in other words it did not glance. After some very carefull cleaning the lens became very shiny. After the assembly, I did notice a very very slight improvemend in light output, but I did found that the focus, especialy in the outer edges) was better (after refocussing).

I purchased the G70 some 3 years ago, and never got to cleaning the lenses. Thought it was not necessary with this model.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I normally use the normal glass cleaning liquid, fo the windows!

it's normally recommended by a lot of pj brands, the only thing to take care, is to be careful to do not apply any pressure on the lens surface.

Use a soft cotton cloth and to do not spread the liquid directly on the lens surface. Use the liquid on the cloth BEFORE to start cleaning the lens, without applying any pressure.

I've used it hundreds of times, on many pjs, without damage anything and cause any coating loss...

Romano

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Many commercial glass cleaners, and even optical cleaning solutions sold in camera stores, contain some ammonia. This will fog the lens surfaces over time, and should not be used.

William

·
Registered
510 Posts
Will check that ammonia thing tommorow.

Great tip.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
The owner's manual for a Sony 1272Q lists Precautions on P.1, amongst which it says:

"Avoid touching the lens. To remove dust on the lens, use a soft dry cloth. Do not use a damp cloth, detergent solution or thinner."

Not even a damp cloth! Are the lens coatings that fragile/soluble on a Sony? If so, some of the cleaning advice in this thread should not be used on Sonys.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I know that's what the manual says, but if you clean a dusty lens with a soft dry cloth you will probably scratch it. I developed my optics cleaning techniques for my telescopes, and carried them forward to projectors. Believe me when I say I've cleaned much more expensive optics than anything in a crt projector. Telescope optics are never cleaned "dry"! I don't even blow the dust off the lens surface of my refractor ($20k).

For the serious optics folks, there is one other product which is worth investigating: Opticlean. It's a polymer which is sprayed on, allowed to set, and then peeled off. It can be left on indefinitely for protection during storage or shipping. Not cheap, but fantastic for cleaning really difficult to clean optics, like the surface of a ccd array or solar filter...

William

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.