AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found me a really nice HTPC case. It's a 19" case not intended for a PC, but it's big enough to house a full PC so...

This case is an old CD writer. Yes, a CD writer :) In those days, Yamaha made the first CD writers in _2_ full sized 19" 4U cases. Once case had the electronics (flat case front, only 1 LED) and the drive with controller electronics in another full 4U case.

I ripped out the electronics (not even SMD in those days, jeez what an antique :)) and now am looking at the drive case to make a HTPC.

The nice part: a window is already there for VfD (just need to take the LED filters out to get a dark colored plexi window), the on/off switch is a nice heavy metal button, flush with the surface, and the drive opening has a special aluminium front piece, which I can afix to the DVD-rom drive drawer. IF I can get it all put together that is :)

There's a catch though. This aluminium case front has a really nice dark grey shine. Looks terrific. But there's the Yamaha brand and type name on the top corner. It's in white print-on lettering.

Does anyone know how to remove this kind of lettering without damaging the finish of the case?

J-kun

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try nail polish remover, paint thinner, and/or Goof Off. Soak a cotton rag in it, then rub it over the lettering. It might take a lot of rubbing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks, will try that. I hope it won't damage the shiny cover layer they put on it (better try a little corner first :))

I'll post a pic if I get this case cleaned

j-kun

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try.. lighter fuel. you'll be surprised

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.