AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a proper cleaning machine to do all of my records, and I came across a couple of records that have some issues I'm not sure how to resolve.

The first being one that was in one of those PVC sleeves, and there's the dreaded misting/haze from (what I can only assume is) the off-gassing of the plastic. I've seen a video on how to get rid of that, but am a little skeptical. If there are any other known solutions to that, please let me know.

The other, much worse situation is I pulled out a record (also in one of those heavy PVC sleeves) and the insert was stuck to the vinyl, and when I got it un stuck, it pulled off some of the insert, and is stuck to the surface of the vinyl! Is there a safe way to get something like this off of the record?

·
Registered
719 Posts
My only advice is that the vinyl is pretty tough material so don't be afraid to scrub hard with the proper brush. I'd try soapy water and the brush that came with the cleaning machine first. I'm not sure if Goo Gone would but their literature says it's safe for use on vinyl.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only advice is that the vinyl is pretty tough material so don't be afraid to scrub hard with the proper brush. I'd try soapy water and the brush that came with the cleaning machine first. I'm not sure if Goo Gone would but their literature says it's safe for use on vinyl.
I was thinking about just soaking it for a little while, but not sure if that'll do anything. It's the printing ink that's caused the paper to stick, so a solvent might have to be used. I'll have to search for solvents that are safe for vinyl, I guess.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Got a proper cleaning machine to do all of my records, and I came across a couple of records that have some issues I'm not sure how to resolve.

The first being one that was in one of those PVC sleeves, and there's the dreaded misting/haze from (what I can only assume is) the off-gassing of the plastic. I've seen a video on how to get rid of that, but am a little skeptical. If there are any other known solutions to that, please let me know.

The other, much worse situation is I pulled out a record (also in one of those heavy PVC sleeves) and the insert was stuck to the vinyl, and when I got it un stuck, it pulled off some of the insert, and is stuck to the surface of the vinyl! Is there a safe way to get something like this off of the record?
Read this post for some infomative discussion of the chemistry of vinyl records.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=99579

According to this vinyl records are a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate, but there are a lot of additives as well. General rule of thumb in organic chemistry is 'likes dissolve likes". For example a solid phenolic compound (-OH group) might be expected to be dissolved by an alcohol much more readily than say n-heptane or iso-octane (gasoline). Put another way, polar compounds (with a strong dipole moment) will mix and dissolve each other readily, non polar ones alike. But mix a polar (water say) and non polar (gas) and you get separation, they don't mix.

To clean your record you want to avoid anything that dissolves vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate. PVC is insoluble in alcohol and water. PVA is soluble in benzene, chloroform, methanol (an alcohol), acetone, butyl acetate. Insoluble in ligroin, diethyl ether, butanol, turpentine, water, oils.

So if your looking for something that is insoluble to both water is the answer. Alcohol works with PVC, but is problematic with PVA. Water seems to be the common denominator. I'd do as recommended just try a soak in an approved record cleaner (mostly made of water) and a very light soft brush. They make toothbrushes that are extra soft. (My dentist has them and swears by them). Gum brand and colgate (even softer) are very soft tooth brushes. You won't find them in stores, so look online. Soak and a very light brush.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read this post for some infomative discussion of the chemistry of vinyl records.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=99579

According to this vinyl records are a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate, but there are a lot of additives as well. General rule of thumb in organic chemistry is 'likes dissolve likes". For example a solid phenolic compound (-OH group) might be expected to be dissolved by an alcohol much more readily than say n-heptane or iso-octane (gasoline). Put another way, polar compounds (with a strong dipole moment) will mix and dissolve each other readily, non polar ones alike. But mix a polar (water say) and non polar (gas) and you get separation, they don't mix.

To clean your record you want to avoid anything that dissolves vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate. PVC is insoluble in alcohol and water. PVA is soluble in benzene, chloroform, methanol (an alcohol), acetone, butyl acetate. Insoluble in ligroin, diethyl ether, butanol, turpentine, water, oils.

So if your looking for something that is insoluble to both water is the answer. Alcohol works with PVC, but is problematic with PVA. Water seems to be the common denominator. I'd do as recommended just try a soak in an approved record cleaner (mostly made of water) and a very light soft brush. They make toothbrushes that are extra soft. (My dentist has them and swears by them). Gum brand and colgate (even softer) are very soft tooth brushes. You won't find them in stores, so look online. Soak and a very light brush.
Soaked it in the bath I had been using during my cleaning session this evening, and it did nothing. I took a bit of a risk and tried some extra mild citrus thinner (a sort of orange-based turp) that I use in oil painting that I think is similar-ish in composition to Goo Gone (which reportedly doesn't harm vinyl) - I first tried in the label area (there's no actual label on this record) where some of the stuff was stuck. It took some rubbing, but it came off. I tried a bit on the actual record (following the grooves, of course), and it did slowly remove some of it. Didn't appear to damage the record, either.

I've seen extra soft tooth brushes in stores, but was thinking more of a microfibre cloth.

The haze on the other record might be a bit tougher to get out - I have a sinking feeling that it's permanent. I won't be geting any more records that use that heavier PVC sleeve (or at least be more conscious, and remove it from that immediately).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts