AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don't use anything with Ammonia in it. Also don't use any fiber like paper towel. The best thing I've found for normal cleaning of the screen can be bought at K-Mart. It is called Uni-Wipes. They are pre-moistened towelettes designed specifically for eyeglasses; both glass and plastic, specially coated and not; anti-reflective coatings and all. EVERYTHING your screen has on it. I've been using them for about a year, once a week, and they are GREAT. $1.69 for a box of 12. Near the registers at k-mart. I always buy a box or two while I'm there. I clean the screen weekly.

If the screen needs a good cleaning because of fingerprints or stuborn marks, do the following;

cup or two of water in a bowl

about 1/5 part of alcohol

couple drops, literally drops, of grease fighting type dish soap

mix it up good and use a very soft cloth like a tee-shirt.

But for the normal day to day cleanings of the screen, I still prefer to use the Uni-Wipes at K-mart. The screen on the tv is NO DIFFERENT than eyeglasses. The Uni-Wipes work great... later.... Mike....

P.S. If you ever have your screen off to do a calibration or tweaks, DON'T USE THE UNI-WIPES TO CLEAN THE MIRROR. Just blow the dust off the mirror with some air. The mirror shouldn't have marks on it. If by chance the mirror DOES HAVE MARKS and needs cleaning, use the water, alcohol, dish soap mixture... Later... Mike...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've just seen a Monster Cable big screen RPTV cleaning kit for sale at one of the local shops here in Calgary.

It consists of some spray and a special wiping cloth. The cost is about $30 CDN or about 20 U$. The cleaning spray is supposed to "stick" and not run down the screen and possibly into the electronics below.

I haven't bought it yet to use on my 51SWX20B but I might. Then again I'm slightly scared after reading about two guys wiping the AR coating off of their Sony big screens just using a cloth and water.

I might use an air brush (for camera lens cleaning) to blow dust off of the screen rather than wiping.

If wiping I would definately not use paper towel or any fibrous cloth. It would likely be better to use something very soft like the wiping cloth that comes in camera lens cleaning kits. Maybe a polyester cloth is too hard as well (artificial nylon fibers), use something soft like cotton (?).

If anybody has used the Monster Cable cleaning spray kit on an RPTV with a coated screen then please post back here.

Thanks

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.