AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some dust and what looked like a faint smudge on my lens. It's only noticeable when the projector is on and viewing the lens from a glancing angle. So I breathed on the lens and then used a microfiber cloth that came with my Eizo CG241W LCD computer monitor, and gently wiped it. Well now the smudges seem to be even more noticeable. I have only used this cloth several times before, and only on this projector. Is there anything that I can use to clean rid of this film?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You can use eye glass cleaner solution or any photo lens cleaning solution that doesn't harm optical coatings. Use an all cotton cloth with the solution. I get my solution at Sears in the optical department. Comes in a spray bottle. Any camera store should have something similar.

Ron

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would strongly recommend something like the Lens Pen. I've never cleaned a projector lens with it, but it is the go-to cleaner for many photographers including myself for cleaning camera lenses. Its a dry chemical that leaves absolutely no residue. It's especially useful for removing smudges & fingerprints. It also includes a very soft brush for removing larger particles.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...en_Black_.html

There are several different variations of it as well from different manufactuers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1. Don't clean when the pj is on as the lens will be hot.

2. Buy optical cleaning fluid from a photo shop.

3. Buy lens tissues (paper tissue for lens cleaning)

4. Make sure there is no dust to rub on the lens.

5. Dip the tissue in the fluid, swipe once or twice, on to the next tissue. Don't touch tissue surface with your fingers!

6. Keep using new tissues until you have a clean lens.

7. Be very gentle with the swipes, do not rub!

8. Don't use anything that has been used for cleaning before as you will frustrate yourself with more smudges!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
SPeters,

Buy another clean microfiber cloth and use that alone without fluid for best results (in cleaning section at Wal-mart labelled Great Value Microfibre Reusable Cloth in a 3-pack). Be careful not to contaminate the cloth with oils from your fingers and move to a clean section often. With PJ lens removed and under under perfect lighting conditions to easily sea haze and remaining contamination I experimented with a couple different cleaning solutions, lens paper, q-tips, lens pen, an assortment of cotton cloths, a couple boutique microfiber cloths, and the blue Wal-mart cloth.

The best solution was the cloth purchased at wal-mart, it easily picked up what every other cleaner/cloth I tried left behind. (I noticed a childs finger print on the lens just last week which again the wal-mart cloth easily removed leaving the lens perfect). Most surprising was how much residue the cleaning solutions left behind, they actually left more of a mess than I began with. Second most surprising was how useless lens paper was in this application, they may be great for dust removal but imo not adequate for finger print grease or solution residue removal, they just seem to push it around without picking anything up. The lens pen wasn't as effective either, it leaves a dusty residue and after little use an a slightly oily residue as well.

Don't touch your lens with any solutions and just use a new clean microfiber cloth.

·
Premium Member
25,495 Posts
"The lens pen wasn't as effective either, it leaves a dusty residue and after little use an a slightly oily residue as well."

Yes, the reviews of the lens pen said you need a can of air or something to blow the dust off.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I tried this 21 ct pack of Zeiss , and it didn't really do anything. I'm going to do the microfiber next, lightly damped perhaps.

Just curious, how many of you put the lens cap back on between viewings? I did for a little while, but got lazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts