AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new at digital projection. Thinking of buying one to replace my slide projector that I use for lectures. If I want to show some still JPEG images do I have to go through a computer to output to the projector, or can I put a disk, flash stick or hook my camera directly through a USB port?


If I am shooting images with a 10.1 Canon EOS, will the images be comparable to my 35mm slides?


Thanks for these newbie questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
The USB connectivity on a projector is typically going to be for firmware update / remote mouse control, not as a video input or mobile storage connection. I would expect you to need a laptop to generate the video image and drive it to the DVI or VGA input.


The Infocus LP600 is like many of the more recent TVs though, where it has included media handling and some type of control software. So for it, you could just put your stuff on a USB key and plug it in and show the pictures. I don't know how nice the software is, and you couldn't do anything like show a PowerPoint presentation this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the Infocus LP600. That is what I was hoping some of the projectors would have as inputs to show a raw photo without any photoshop work on it.


Has anyone compared the clarity of a 35mm slide projected to the same size on a screen as a 10 megapixel image projected by a digital projector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
The problem is you won't find any 10 megapixel projectors. 720p projectors aren't even 1 megapixel, and 1080p projectors are still shy of 2 megapixels. So the 10 megapixel source material will not be your limiting issue.


I think you'll simply have to try it out, and determine if the resolution is adequate for whatever it is you are showing. If we had 10 megapixel projectors, now that would be something.


I think you might consider the field of view the image will occupy. If less than 20 degrees, no one would likely be able to tell the difference from a resolution perspective. Whether or not the differences in contract and brightness and color range and such will be an issue, you won't know till you try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,864 Posts
I do a lot of still photo viewing with my Sharp XR10X projector and IMO the image quality is fantastic. You may want to consider such a projector (XGA) 4:3. These type of projectors have slightly higher lumens, are set up for connection to a PC etc, and the 4:3 frame is a closer match to most photo sizes. A DVD player recorder also make a great companion to the projector allowing inputs from your digital cam plus the ability to burn discs. IMO back all your photos up on CD's sizing them close to the projectors native resolution. In my case 1024x768 then you have the DVD's remote to use during viewing and you will also have a awesome way to view movies.


Below in my signature there is a link to a page containing screen shots from my projector. I keep planning to show some of stills. But you will get a idea of what a image projected to 6 ft x 8 ft will look like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 /forum/post/0


I do a lot of still photo viewing with my Sharp XR10X projector and IMO the image quality is fantastic. You may want to consider such a projector (XGA) 4:3. These type of projectors have slightly higher lumens, are set up for connection to a PC etc, and the 4:3 frame is a closer match to most photo sizes. A DVD player recorder also make a great companion to the projector allowing inputs from your digital cam plus the ability to burn discs. IMO back all your photos up on CD's sizing them close to the projectors native resolution. In my case 1024x768 then you have the DVD's remote to use during viewing and you will also have a awesome way to view movies.


Below in my signature there is a link to a page containing screen shots from my projector. I keep planning to show some of stills. But you will get a idea of what a image projected to 6 ft x 8 ft will look like.

Thanks. So if I want to view my photos from my digital camera I would have to connect to the projector with either a computer or a DVD player? Is there any way to view the photos from a USB memory stick or camera?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac770 /forum/post/0


The problem is you won't find any 10 megapixel projectors. 720p projectors aren't even 1 megapixel, and 1080p projectors are still shy of 2 megapixels. So the 10 megapixel source material will not be your limiting issue.


I think you'll simply have to try it out, and determine if the resolution is adequate for whatever it is you are showing. If we had 10 megapixel projectors, now that would be something.


I think you might consider the field of view the image will occupy. If less than 20 degrees, no one would likely be able to tell the difference from a resolution perspective. Whether or not the differences in contract and brightness and color range and such will be an issue, you won't know till you try.

That's great information. I would guess that the sharpness of a photo that contained the maximum megapixels of a projector's would then be dependent on the quality of the lens of the digital camera (professional SLR lens as opposed to the compact digital camera lenses).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcaliforniakid /forum/post/0


Thanks. So if I want to view my photos from my digital camera I would have to connect to the projector with either a computer or a DVD player? Is there any way to view the photos from a USB memory stick or camera?

My camera has a composite out adapter cable that can be plugged into a TV for viewing slide shows etc directly from the cam. I have never tried plugging it into my projectors composite in port but I don't see why it wouldn't work.


I normally take my pictures and load them from the cam to the pc in any number of way. Then I burn them to a data disc on the PC. Then erase the SD card knowing they are backed up. I sometimes then resize them for emailing web posting and viewing on my projector setup. And XGA type resolution is a good way to go for me. I also at that time tweak them if required turning them or adjusting brightness etc if required. And then burn a second backup that is used for viewing.


The nice thing about viewing them thru something like a DVD player or burner is first I don't have to set up the cam and have it powered up, but the better feature is most if not all DVD players display a thumbnail file manager and with the remote you can look thru the images and find the ones you want, or go to slideshow mode and view them all. The remote can then be used to pause and back up etc.


As for resolution and projectors. The projector will try and scale the image in and fit it to your screen it wont stretch or distort the image in doing so. But the best you can do is native resolution of the projector. In my case with a image size of 72x96 I cant discern SDE or a single pixel at a distance of about 10 feet from the screen. So at that point extra resolution wouldn't buy me anything more. If I get closer than that the image is too large to take into my field of vision anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac770 /forum/post/0


The problem is you won't find any 10 megapixel projectors.

Way to misinterpret the post.


Quote:
My camera has a composite out adapter cable that can be plugged into a TV for viewing slide shows etc directly from the cam.

Yes, but a composite NTSC signal has a low resolution. It will look like garbage compared to any slide projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,864 Posts
The debate over digital vs. analog will go on in audio forever I think and likewise the debate over digital images vs. film.


I once asked a professional photographer his opinion on grain size vs pixel size when compared to 35mm film. He had read a study that when taking still pictures with a fine grain film the digital would have to be in the neighborhood of 7 mega pixel. That would be considered a very good slide or negative. At that time 3 meg cams were about the cutting edge so it was clearly a case of film containing more information. Then there was the question of shutter speed and catching moving images and once again film was far superior I would guess that is still.


We don't know how the OP intends to get the digital images. It sounds like he's starting in a digital mode and staying digital so I'm not sure how he is getting slides now.


The real question is not totally about resolution and at want distance and image size he is unable to discern grain or pixels. There is also the issues of contrast ratio and having come from the slide show era I know he will enjoy some really nice black levels. I personal would advise him to look at DLP projectors for that reason.


I have no idea how slide projectors stack up against digitals in terms of lumens and what kind of ambient light he will be showing these images in and to what size screen. Those will all play a big role in how he perceives the PQ


The above poster quoted me out of context and I wasn't advising him to go with a composite feed to the projector as a best source of PQ in fact I was answering his question of, Can it be done? My advice was to ether go the PC route or a good quality DVD player or better yet a Burner.


Like I said I haven't taken any screen shots of still images being projected and in this case it wouldn't be of much use because I would be taking a digital picture of a picture and you would intern be viewing it thru a non calibrated monitor. What I may do is take a screen shot of a photo being projected and also post the original digital photo. It wouldn't be a tell all but would give a idea of what could be expected.


The OP should also be aware he will most likely want to view the digitally projected slide on a totally different screen surface than his old slide projector. The retro reflective screen will totally skew what he is trying to learn by the comparison.


His last post of going and seeing with his own eyes is really the best way to know. It will be interesting when he returns from doing the comparison to hear his comments.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top