AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I saw that post Londo did a while back about spraying clear spray paint on the tops of DVD-Rs that the Epson R300 just printed. Any one else try this, also how are the dvds fairing. Do the play well and does it stop the smearing. What brand of clear coat spray paint?

Thanks

Gun

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It wasn't spray paint so to speak...

go to you nearby WallyWorld in the craft department

Krylon Workable Fixatif

a light spray is all it takes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hmm, I have had my eye on the Epson now for the last week but do you really find it necessary to do the clear coat procedure after printing on the discs? I realize that this may be a good idea, but I am wondering if this might end up being a bad idea down the road? I would guesss that you would have to be really careful about overspray and getting even coverage?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think you are wrong, the fixativ is ment to 'fix' things like 'inket prints' and ' chalk drawings'. People have been using this for quite a while on printable CD's and DVD's before I came across it.

You don't have to do it, but it help to keep the ink from smearing since the printable surface can take a while to dry. And it will effectively 'waterproof' the discs (sweaty fingers).

and yes, you need to be a little careful on spraying, put the discs FLAT on a FLAT, EVEN SURFACE and lightly coat the fixtif over them, this isn't like spraying laquer on a '71 Mustang, you don't want a thick, glossy coat. If you don't have it FLAT and MIST it you could get an 'overspray' on the reading surface of the disc.. not a good thing.

Take some coasters and EXPERIMENT to get the technique down.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So far I haven't had any problems with smudges using the R300 and BeAll printable discs. The white material seems to quickly absorb the ink.

Perhaps different brand printable DVDs react differently to printing, as does various brands of Photo paper?

Somehow the thought of spraying DVD discs with a "fixer" gives me the heebie jeebies. However, I do see Londo's point, as an artist I'd used "fixer" countless times on various types of projects.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been reading alot about fixatives. I just bought the Epson r200. Printed my first disk and I loved the output. Used Maxell 4x, matte finish, inkjet printable, got from buy.com, 50 for 63.73 and free shipping.

I'm worring about a balance problem after spraying, or any other problem it could cause. I'm doing home movies that are irreplaceable, but I would like a professional look. Used Grumbacher Workable Fixative on an inkjet photo (a year old) on photo paper. Waited 24 hrs, wet my finger, and easily smeared the ink. No protection. I'm assuming that the Krylon Workable fixative would work about the same, being they are both meant for pencil art. Any experience with the Krylon Clear coat acrylic?? I'd like to try it, but, again, I'm worried.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:
the chemicals in the clear coat would over time destroy the DVD just as regular markers do.

What type of markers can you use to write on the DVD's? I don't really want to spend the time using labels and have been writing on mine.

I've been using Sharpie. They don't say, but I've thought that they are

felt tip markers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Personally, I am through with spraying discs. I tried 3 or 4 different sealers to mixed results.

The bottom line for me is that the fumes/chemical odor from all of them are just too much to do it indoors on a regular basis. And since I do not have a large garage or seperate outdoor workspace, I'm afraid it's just too much of a hassle.

I have read a couple of different articles that alluded to the upcoming availability of more premium (and supposedly waterproof) paper used for the tops of inkjet printable discs, I have yet to hear of or see any that qualify as such.

A quote from an emedialive.com article (written Aug 8, 2003):

"While inkjet printing is not currently water- or scratchproof, a handful of new inkjet-printable waterproof discs will be available by the end of the summer."

Well .. I guess that never materialized:(

You would think that now that there is clearly a demand, manufacturers of discs would start to produce.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevorino
What type of markers can you use to write on the DVD's? I don't really want to spend the time using labels and have been writing on mine.

I've been using Sharpie. They don't say, but I've thought that they are

felt tip markers.
There are special felt tip markers made by Memorex and others. I've seen 'em at Best Buy. Supposedly not harmful like Sharpies have been rumored to be over time. Not sure how true all of this is. But the special markers are available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.