AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I needed a mini to Toslink optical cable to hook my computer to my receiver. I could have ordered one online but didn't want to wait. Best Buy didn't have any and Radio shack didn't even know what I was talking about, and didn't have any either. Walmart did though. I got a 6ft Philips with two mini optical adapters for each end. But I am just looking at the cable and wondering about it being totally clear. Its just a clear plastic tube with toslink connections on each end. It just seems to me that it could loose some light intensity over the length of the cable, which could cause a lose in dynamic range.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I can't tell if you are joking? Kinda funny if you are.

If not, nothing that happens with optical could result in dynamic range issues. (1) You could get errors in transmission - which I guess to be unlikely. (2) A problematical cable could contribute to jitter - which I also guess to be unlikely

For dynamic range to be affected, there would have to be very specific changes made to the bits in the digital signal. Very specific - in other words, from a processor specifically designed to reduce dynamic range.

If you're a troll, you just wasted my time

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 /forum/post/16936804

....... But I am just looking at the cable and wondering about it being totally clear. Its just a clear plastic tube with toslink connections on each end. It just seems to me that it could loose some light intensity over the length of the cable, which could cause a lose in dynamic range.

Yes but consider the superior transparency in sound you'll be experiencing! A heightened clarity of detail which will simply astound. I'll take a slight loss in dynamic range to gain that benefit but of course, YMMV.

It should go without saying that I am being completely serious here.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
As CruelInventions said

The clear plastic should serve you well. They're better than the tempered glass ones..

Those are notorious for reducing dynamic range at bend points...

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
Just for the record the optical cable - from the inside - is very reflective so it doesn't lose intensity. Plugging it into your computer you should see a little red light on the other end when a signal is present.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that digital signals are either on or off. BUT, and I mean BUT, that little optical light flashes a whole bunch of times every second. And I know there has to be some type of error correction built into the receiver. If even a few of those insane amount of light pulse where lost along the way that would be a lose of information, decreasing the sound that you hear. Common sense would tell me that it would make no difference but I was just thinking about all this in my mind. I prefer coaxial digital audio but that wasn't an option here. To me these Optical cables are nothing but a fancy gimmick anyway.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 /forum/post/16937170

...If even a few of those insane amount of light pulse where lost along the way that would be a lose of information, decreasing the sound that you hear.

You are correct in that an error could result in loss of information. You are incorrect in your use of terms. A loss of dynamic range should not occur from a few digital errors.

A lot of digital errors should result in distortion which would probably be heard.

I would expect no errors in the situation you describe though. Don't listening for problems that don't exist. You might convince yourself they do. A lot of audiophiles seems to manage this self deception, IMO.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16936902

I can't tell if you are joking? Kinda funny if you are.

If not, nothing that happens with optical could result in dynamic range issues. (1) You could get errors in transmission - which I guess to be unlikely. (2) A problematical cable could contribute to jitter - which I also guess to be unlikely

For dynamic range to be affected, there would have to be very specific changes made to the bits in the digital signal. Very specific - in other words, from a processor specifically designed to reduce dynamic range.

If you're a troll, you just wasted my time

That is too smart of a post to be a troll. He (or she) is probably a goblin.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16937071

As CruelInventions said

The clear plastic should serve you well. They're better than the tempered glass ones..

Those are notorious for reducing dynamic range at bend points...

yea, for sure... those glass ones have been known to reduce dynamic range to zero in a real hurry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 /forum/post/16937170

I know that digital signals are either on or off. BUT, and I mean BUT, that little optical light flashes a whole bunch of times every second. And I know there has to be some type of error correction built into the receiver. If even a few of those insane amount of light pulse where lost along the way that would be a lose of information, decreasing the sound that you hear. Common sense would tell me that it would make no difference but I was just thinking about all this in my mind. I prefer coaxial digital audio but that wasn't an option here. To me these Optical cables are nothing but a fancy gimmick anyway.

please tell me you are pulling our leg...

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
If this is going to eat at you, you'll find a glass toslink over at PartsExpress that's rather inexpensive.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdy291 /forum/post/16937302

Just tell me that would be total impossible. I just depends on how the decoding happens, which I am not familiar with.

There's nothing to know. If the cable has any errors, it's a bad cable. But odds are very low it will have errors.

You are looking for stuff to worry about., IMO. There's plenty of actual problems to worry about, so don't worry about this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts