AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

Although I'm back to using the old dial-in to DNNA for now since it's so much more convenient for me, I also want to be sure I can use my WiRNS setup in the future. I was able to get a successful net connect the day before the resumption of service was announced using FREESCO in VMWare with WiRNS 3.0.

It was easy to switch back to the direct dial, but I'm having problems re-switching to WiRNS. The connection always fails at the end, even though at one point the SS did show my WiRNS lineup in the providers list. I saw it after a failed "Getting Local Phone Numbers..." connection, so I know it's communicating with my WiRNS server.

During my attempts I realized how confused I am about the various ways to clear cached info from the SS. Short of a factory reset, what's a foolproof way to guarantee all the old stuff is cleared out? Maybe my connection problem is unrelated, but I'd still like to understand this better.

I tried clearing the Channel Guide twice and using a new ZIP code, and I also forced a reboot by holding the power button in. I also read "Reboot your machine by powering it off on the front panel, waiting until you hear the disk spin down and then pulling the plug. Wait 30 seconds and plug it back in." here ; I ran out of time and I'll have to try that next.

My time for testing is limited, and it takes a long time to do a net connect with the mothership once all the channel guide data is gone, so I just want to make sure I really am starting fresh.

BTW, when I dialed back in to the DNNA server and picked my old phone number, all of my old input settings (provider lineup, IR blaster info minus the code) were still selected, so unless that's stored on the server it's got to be in the SS somewhere.

Thanks-

-Susan

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G /forum/post/20771726

at one point the SS did show my WiRNS lineup in the providers list. I saw it after a failed "Getting Local Phone Numbers..." connection, so I know it's communicating with my WiRNS server.

Not necessarily.

The SS associates lineup info with the zip code used to obtain it, and as far as I can tell, this information is retained in some form no matter how many times you clear the guide. So if you're using the same zip code you previously used with WiRNS, the information you see might be left over from a previously successful connection.

But it's hard to tell from what you write, because at one point after doesn't tell me exactly what sequence of button presses and screens you went through to see that information, and that makes all the difference.

Quote:
BTW, when I dialed back in to the DNNA server and picked my old phone number, all of my old input settings (provider lineup, IR blaster info minus the code) were still selected, so unless that's stored on the server it's got to be in the SS somewhere.

As far as I know, setup changes are only retained when setup completes successfully, which happens only two ways:

1. The second setup call, which gets the program info, completes normally, without error, or

2. You select Keep all settings on the Setup Summary screen without actually changing any lineups, in which case the second call is skipped, and the information displayed in the setup summary becomes permanent.

If you exit setup any other way, like pressing EXIT after a failed call, any setup changes you made are discarded and the previous info will be back the next time you enter setup.

But again, I am not sure I understand exactly what you are doing to switch from direct dialing DNNA to FREESCO/WiRNS and vice versa. Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of this process, i.e. what wiring and Replay configuration changes are involved and the sequence in which you are doing them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi joblo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo /forum/post/20775118

Not necessarily.

The SS associates lineup info with the zip code used to obtain it, and as far as I can tell, this information is retained in some form no matter how many times you clear the guide. So if you're using the same zip code you previously used with WiRNS, the information you see might be left over from a previously successful connection.

The WiRNS lineup I saw was brand new. I added it after I'd switched back to DNNA, so there's no way I can think of that the SS would display it without having connected to my WiRNS PC.

Quote:
But again, I am not sure I understand exactly what you are doing to switch from direct dialing DNNA to FREESCO/WiRNS and vice versa. Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of this process, i.e. what wiring and Replay configuration changes are involved and the sequence in which you are doing them?

To switch from direct dialing DNNA to FREESCO/WiRNS and vice versa, the only wiring difference is whether I plug the phone cord directly into the wall jack or into my laptop via the SS + MagicJack to line splitter to modem connection.

Then:

1. Reboot the SS.

I've tried doing this by clearing the Channel Guide twice (243-Zones, then #6 on the menu). For at least one attempt, I held the power button down until it rebooted. Next I'm going to try the power off, unplug method I mentioned above. I know I didn't have to do that when I got it working before (days ago when I got the numbers, provider, and schedule via WiRNS), because due to where the unit lives it's a little difficult to get to, and I haven't had to do that for a long time.

That's why I asked about rebooting. What does clearing the guide twice leave in that the power down/unplug/replug routine gets rid of? Or put another way, shouldn't a "complete" reboot clear out everything including my phone #, zipcode, and what's attached to the inputs, etc., so I get the screen that says I have to do a complete setup? I did get that once in my several attempts, and assuming that's where I need to start I'd like to get there right away so I don't do all the unnecessary rebooting without clearing out what's important.

After rebooting:

2. Menu > Setup

3. Change Dialing & Input Settings

4. Change Telephone

5. Press Select to advance to the Zip Code screen

6. Enter a previously unused Zip Code and press Continue

The SS starts dialing in to get phone numbers. I get the usual messages about setting the clock and timezone, and getting info about cable systems and channels, then it fails with a "Network Connect Error".

Thanks-

-Susan

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G /forum/post/20775537

Change Telephone

Do you actually need to enter different telephone information, or does the MJ/modem/connection ignore all that?

Quote:
The WiRNS lineup I saw was brand new. I added it after I'd switched back to DNNA, so there's no way I can think of that the SS would display it without having connected to my WiRNS PC.

How did you navigate from a failed connection to that new lineup? Doesn't the failure message just invite you keep retrying?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo /forum/post/20775594

Do you actually need to enter different telephone information, or does the MJ/modem/connection ignore all that?

I didn't change my phone # info, I was just listing the steps to get to the Zip code change, which is required.

And yes, the modem ignores the incoming number, AFAICT. It doesn't care who's calling, it just answers the phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.