AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated 5-13-2015 10:21 AM EST. Added number 12 and 13 bullet points. Deals with 1080p @ 120 FPS and Native Frame Rate.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS!

I was able to do more extensive testing on the Motion Interpolation(SOE) last night. There definitely is a bug in the software. Here is what I was able to determine.

1. The bug is that anytime the resolution or frame rate of the input change it resets the motion interpolation back to a value of approximately “10” without actually changing the value on the screen. This produces horrible image doubling and is truly unwatchable. It happens if the TV is turned off as well.

2. The “bug” happens regardless of what your settings for “Reduce Judder” and “Reduce Motion Blur” are. It doesn’t just happen if you have them set to zero.

3. Even if you change Picture Mode it will still revert back to a motion interpolation value of approximately 10. You have to adjust the motion interpolation settings up or down to correct the issue temporarily.

When I finally realized what was happening I thought this was going to be a GIGANTIC issue because it meant that you had to dig through the settings menu every time you changed the channel. I seriously almost boxed the M55 up last night and took it back.

However, I tried to figure out what I could do to remedy the issue. Then I realized why I hadn’t come across the issue before. I had turned on the “Game Low Latency” setting for some input lag testing in the past. That disables the Motion Interpolation completely no matter what.

Therefore, the solution to the issue for now is that you HAVE to turn on “Game Low Latency” for this TV to be watchable. If you don’t you will be disappointed with the TV when you change channels, resolutions, or turn it off and back on. I believe that the Game Low Latency only affects the motion interpolation. I was still able to see the effects of the “Black Detail”, Active LED Zones, and Clear Action with GLL on.

However, this also means that you really can’t use the new Motion Interpolation controls in real world scenarios because you would have to keep adjusting the setting every time you changed the channel.

I see this as a big issue for the new M-series. However, I believe that the work around should be a sufficient temporary solution for everyone that has bought the Tv so far. I think it will help if everyone who bought this TV sends an email or calls Vizio support and report what is happening for your particular TV.

Also please test this on your own sets. Let me know if you see anything different on your TVs. Maybe different sizes have different issues. Mine is a 2015 M55-C2.

The general consensus lately has been to completely discount the worth of the Vizio sets simply because they are less expensive. A lot of people have propagated stereotypes for the Vizio TVs without solid evidence to back up those claims.

This post will attempt to resolve some of those misconceptions and validate others. Most of the data comes from my testing with the TVs I own(2015 40”, 48”, and 50” E-series, 2015 55" M55-C2, and a 2014 50” P-series). However, some of the data is based off of the reviews that are out there for these TVs.

Whenever, I am stating something that I have not validated myself I will put an “*” next to it. If you have any evidence to refute any of these statements please post it.

1. Vizio TVs are not good for gaming because their input lag is not good. This is utterly false across the board. The 2014 P-series has an input lag of 18.7 ms* on input 5 with the Game Low Latency setting enabled based on the rtings review.

The new 2015 M-series has an input lag of 18.5 ms* on input 5 with the Game Low Latency setting enabled based on the rtings review.

And finally the 2015 E-series has an input lag of 34.7 ms* on any input with the Clear Action feature enabled based on the rtings review.

All of those values are exceptional values that even the most avid gamers would be satisfied with.

2. Vizio TVs have high motion blur. This one is actually true in some scenarios for some of the Vizio models but not for others. The real issue is that it isn’t good for other more expensive TVs as well but no one seems to ever mention that.

The Motion Blur for the 2015 M-series and 2014 P-series is not good for 24p films or with high frame rate gaming unless you enable the Motion interpolation features. On the 2014 P-series this is one setting called “Smooth Motion Effect” that works for all frame rates. For the 2015 M-series there is a setting called “Reduce Judder” for 24p and 30p sources and “Reduce Motion Blur” for 60p sources. All of these settings are disabled if the low latency Game function is enabled. Therefore, you can’t have exceptional motion blur and low input lag simultaneously on either the 2015 M-series or the 2014 P-series TVs.

The 2015 E-series has good input lag and motion blur simultaneously straight out of the box. There are no motion interpolation features to enable on the 2015 E-Series but they still have good motion blur especially when the clear action feature is enabled according to the rtings review.

In my testing it appeared that the E-series has some motion interpolation built into the TV that you can’t control. It is very subtle in terms of the soap opera affect (Almost unnoticeable) but it is very effective in reducing motion blur. However, it also is something that cannot be disabled.

*Theoretically this should make the E-series an exceptional choice for gaming.

3. The 2015 M-series is identical to the 2014 P-series. There are some very subtle differences but also very important things that distinguish them. The 2015 M-series now has two separate controls for the motion control of 24p/30p sources and 60p and higher sources. It also uses a much more precise slider to control those settings than the P-series does. This could be a very important feature for dialing in the motion blur for the 2015 M-series TVs.

There are half as many dimming zones on the 2015 M-series as there are on the P-series. However, I don’t think this is as big a deal as it sounds. I just looked at a 2015 M-series and I really didn’t feel that its dimming zones were inferior to the P-series TVs. However, that was just eyeballing it so refer the reviews at rtings.com for more precise measurements.

4. The Vizio TVs are not that much cheaper than other brands. I just saw a brand new 2015 M60 60” 4K TV at Walmart for $1398 and a brand new 2015 M55 55” 4K TV for $948 at Walmart. You simply can’t find a 4K TV for less anywhere and yet these TVs are actually better than more expensive TVs in most aspects and on par with them in all other aspects.

5. I don’t need a 4K TV because I don’t watch 4K. This one is actually not true and here is why I think that. On the Vizio E-series when you watch Amazon streaming videos it will always buffer for 1-2 minutes before the TV displays the video in the highest quality. For those first couple of minutes it usually displays in extremely unwatchable overly compressed low resolution. However, the 4K TVs will buffer as well but they buffer the video in a much higher resolution and with much fewer compression artifacts.

So even if you don’t intend to watch 4K, your streaming experience will probably be a lot more enjoyable with the 4K Vizio TVs as opposed to a 1080p Vizio TVs.

6. Vizio TVs can’t display youtube 4K natively. Yup. That one is true. A lot of people say that the Vizio TVs can display the youtube videos in 4K when playing from the youtube app. However, when you play a 4K youtube app video and click the info button it will display 1080p. The videos look decent when there isn’t any motion but they have a ton compression when anything moves and they don’t really pop like 4K should.

If you hook up a computer to the Vizio 4K TVs and output 4K @ 30 FPS you can then play youtube videos on the Vizio 4K TVs in true 4K. The image quality of the GoPro video played in this manner is nothing short of stunning. I guarantee that you will see the difference in 4K vs. 1080p if you play those videos in this manner.

The misconception here is that most people think that Vizio is the only manufacturer who can’t play the youtube 4K videos natively. I tried it with a 4K Sony TV as well and it would only display in 1080p. That isn’t to say that this will always be the case in the future. It is possible that a firmware update could enable the new VP9 decoding that is necessary to enable youtube 4K support. This could happen for future models or perhaps with a firmware update for past models for any Brand.

7. A Vizio set will just break the minute they do a firmware update over the air that you can’t stop that from happening. That one actually has been true in the past. There have been cases where Vizio forced a software update and it broke the TV or broke functionality and they were slow to issue a fix for it.

I believe that their quality control is better now but it could still be lacking. That is why I bought my TVs at Costco with their ridiculously inexpensive 5 year warranty. It is only $29.99 for TVs under $500 and $59.99 for TVs between $500-$1000. The Vizio 50” E-series is only $499 so this one is the best deal warranty wise. A 5 year warranty for only 6% of the purchase price is a no-brainer.

8. You can’t get 3D with a Vizio set so “No 3D = No sale”. Yup. If you want 3D then look elsewhere. Vizio will probably never include 3D in their regular TVs again. However, you are probably going to end up paying about 50% more for the 3D TV if the Vizio has everything you want except for 3D.

9. The M-series TVs are junk. Actually I believe that was true with respect to the 2014 M-series. They were mired in software issues and their performance wasn’t really good at all. However, for 2015 the M-series TVs are all 4K with excellent performance and ridiculously low prices. The bad reputation that the M-series earned last year will hurt sales of the 2015 4K M-series this year when those TVs are not related in any way, shape, or form.

10. Vizio TVs are cheaply made with terrible plastic and they will just break as soon as you take it out of the box. Any TV can have quality issues. I haven’t had any mechanical trouble at all with the 4 Vizio TVs I own. However, I really like that the Vizio TVs are super lightweight. It may feel cheap but it really makes moving them easy.

11. Vizio TVs have terrible off axis viewing that causes the colors to fade excessively even you aren’t sitting directly in front of the TV. This one is not entirely true and in the end it really won’t matter to most people.

Yes the colors begin to fade with the non-IPS TVs at about 21 degrees off center. That does happen but it isn’t as bad as the reviews and videos make you think. It isn’t like the TVs go black and white if you scoot over a seat cushion. They just dim ever so slightly in real world experiences.

There are also a few of the sets that have in plane switching(IPS) that prevents these off axis issues altogether. The last two characters in the model number typically indicate the display type and location of manufacture. Right now the 55” TV is the only one ending in C2 for the M-series line of TVs. However, that may or may not indicate that its panel is any different than the others.

There is a report that all of the 2015 sets are VA TVs. This is what EscapeVelocity was able to determine with a visual loupe test.

2015 4K M Series @ Walmart

M43-C1 = AUO MVA3
M50 Not Displayed
M55-C2 = AUO MVA3
M60-C3 = Sharp X-Gen

2015 1080p E Series @ Walmart

E32-C1 = VA panel like the one in the LG (maybe Sharp manufacture but unknown)
E32H = TN panel with horizontal orientation
D39H = AUO MVA3
E40-C2 = Chei Mei VA
D43-C1 = AUO MVA3
E50-C1 = AUO MVA3
E55-C2 = AUO MVA3
E60-C3 = Sharp X-Gen VA
E70-? = Sharp X-Gen VA

12.Vizio TVs don’t do 4K @ 60 FPS or 1080p @ 120 FPS. That is true for some models and some screen sizes but not others. I have a 2014 50” P-series that will display 4K @ 60 FPS on HDMI 5. However, it cuts in and out with 1080p @ 120 FPS on that input.

I also have a 55” 2015 M55 TV that won’t display 1080p @ 120 FPS no matter what you do. It will display 4K @ 60 FPS on HDMI 5 but the mouse pointer will disappear when it hovers over a white background.

Rtings.com tested the 60” 2015 M60 and said that 1080p @ 120 FPS does work with it. Therefore, some of the 60” or greater TVs may be able to do 1080p @ 120 FPS and it is likely that the smaller TVs(55” and less) won’t be able to do any 120 FPS at all.

13.Vizio TVs are crappy 60 FPS that will be horrible for sports. Well yes some of the Vizio TVs have a native refresh rate of 60 Hz. If it a Vizio TV says “120 Hz effective refresh rate” then it means it has a 60 FPS native refresh rate(240 Effective Refresh = 120 Native). However, that isn’t necessarily a deal breaker.

The native refresh rate of the TV controls two things. It controls what frame rate video the TVs can accept and it controls how affective the motion interpolation is. Therefore, if you don’t ever turn on motion interpolation because you don’t like the “Soap Opera Effect” then the native frame rate of the TV is largely irrelevant since at most all movies, TV shows, and even sports are recorded at 60 FPS or less.

The only time native refresh rate matters is when you are using the motion interpolation feature or if you are using a computer to input a higher frame rate image for video games.

Please note that gaming consoles like the Xbox and the PlayStation are only 60 FPS so the native refresh rate is meaningless for those consoles.

Overall I think the bias against Vizio has mislead a lot of new buyers into not even considering a Vizio. I am not saying that Vizio is the only manufacturer you should consider. There are valid reasons to buy other sets. However, if price per diagonal inch of screen size is your biggest concern then you should probably strongly consider buying a Vizio.

Even if price isn’t your single biggest concern then Vizio should still be on your list. Their TVs offer exceptional performance for ½ to 2/3 the price of most of the other TVs out there.

Check out the reviews on rtings.com and read up on the Vizio sets. You will be very surprised at how they compare favorably with the much more expensive sets from other manufacturers.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio

Attachments

·
Registered
18,865 Posts
I've had two Vizios in the past and they were both crap, both in build quality and support. One lasted two years and the other one lasted only 6 months. I've had Sony, LG (currently), and Samsung (currently) and they have all performed longer with no problems at all than the Vizios I had combined. The perception of Vizio being "throw-away tv's" is well earned. Hopefully that is changing and I would suspect that their higher-end, flagship models will perform as expected and be on par with their counterparts. Unfortunately a lot of folks can't afford the higher end models and stick with the mid-priced range models where Vizio still has a lot of ground to catch up on with regards to LG, Sony, and Samsung. I will look at Vizio when it becomes time to buy a new set but they will be my last consideration. Purchasing a Vizio is fine as long as you get an extended warranty and read it carefully to see what is covered.

The referenced review is over 8 months old.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've had two Vizios in the past and they were both crap, both in build quality and support. One lasted two years and the other one lasted only 6 months. I've had Sony, LG (currently), and Samsung (currently) and they have all performed longer with no problems at all than the Vizios I had combined. The perception of Vizio being "throw-away tv's" is well earned. Hopefully that is changing and I would suspect that their higher-end, flagship models will perform as expected and be on par with their counterparts. Unfortunately a lot of folks can't afford the higher end models and stick with the mid-priced range models where Vizio still has a lot of ground to catch up on with regards to LG, Sony, and Samsung. I will look at Vizio when it becomes time to buy a new set but they will be my last consideration. Purchasing a Vizio is fine as long as you get an extended warranty and read it carefully to see what is covered.

The referenced review is over 8 months old.
I really think that you would find that across their entire product line they have improved reliability extensively with the 2015 models. I understand that if you were burned by them in the past you would be reluctant to try them again.

However, not even considering that their quality could have changed across their whole line is a mistake. It has changed and it is very good now when compared to other manufactures. Yes there are still uniformity issues just like every other manufacture has. However, inexpensive warranties and good return policies from places like Costco can make those issues easy to resolve in the unlikely event that they occur.

What happened to your Vizio sets? In what manner did they break?

I saw the 60" version of the newest and highest end Vizio set currently available for $1398 at Walmart today. If you can't afford that then you certainly can't afford a TV from any other manufacturer.

There is one old review for the P-series. However, you can still buy that TV so that review is still relevant. The 2015 “E” and “M” series reviews listed on that page are both very recent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have 3 TVs in our house; 2 are Vizios, including a VX37L purchased around 10 years ago. The other Vizio (can't think of model) has been in our house for 3 years. They are both fine and have never given us any trouble whatsoever. I believe that people calling them 'crap' as above carries more weight than my experience though, as complainers talk louder and more often than satisfied people do.
Our next TV which will replace our Panny plasma in the living room will most likely be a Vizio due to cost. Honestly, my untrained eye can't see a nickels' worth of difference between most LCD TVs with one exception- LG. I don't know what it is (picture processing, or something else) but i can't comfortably watch an LG.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have never owned a Vizio. However, the Vizio P series 4K demo absolutely blew away the Samsung and LG edge lit crap that was being displayed. Granted it was a uncompressed demo but on PQ alone, the Samsung 8500 and the LG could not touch it.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 2014 P series for 1 day before returning it. Build quality was terrible, it had screen defects, and tons of software glitches. On paper they are fantastic, in practice? Not so much.
Can you describe in more detail what those issues were?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some more testing last night and here are a few things that haven’t been mentioned yet.

1. The E-series TVs with IPS have much better detail than the non-IPS E-series TVs. I tested the 48” IPS TV against the 50” non-IPS TV side by side with the same content. The detail on the 48” was much more pronounced with the exact same settings on both TVs.

There definitely was a difference in shadow detail with the same settings. The 50” non-IPS TV was better in that respect. However, a quick few adjustments had the IPS TV outputting the exact same shadow detail as the non-IPS TV and it still had better detail all around.

If I had it to do again I wouldn’t buy a non-IPS E-series. I simply liked the look of the IPS E-series better. Luckily most of the E-series sizes are IPS(65”, 55”, 48”, 43”, 40”, 32” are all IPS E-series displays).

2. The 50” 2014 P-series will display 4K @ 60 FPS on its gaming input number 5. It will also display 1080p @ 120 FPS with that input but the TV can have dropout issues with that resolution and frame rate.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#5 is pure nonsense. Just because vizio sucks at streaming 1080p, that's no reason to buy a vizio 4k. There's no correlation.

Also, Vizio needs to spend a little more to pack their TV's correctly. They come damaged way too often.
It may not be Vizio that is doing it. It was only a huge issue with Amazon streaming. It could be that Amazon checks whether you have a 4K or 1080p TV and determines how much bandwidth to allocate to you based on that. They might do this for all manufactures.

I was never implying that Vizio is better or worse for streaming than any other manufacture. However, if you are buying the TV specifically for Amazon streaming then the 4K Vizio set will definitely give you a better streaming experience than a 1080p Vizio TV because the 4K set gets allocated more bandwidth by either Amazon or the TV itself.

I love it when people just make blanket statements about defects with no real concrete evidence to back it up.

I compared the packaging for my 2014 P-series to the packaging of my 2015 E-series TVs. Both offer plenty of Styrofoam for the edges of the Tv and also for the screen. However, the 2015 packaging is more efficient because the new TV stand legs are simply much more compact than the old base.

I saw no issues with packaging at all with the 4 Vizio TVs I bought last week.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I have never owned a Vizio. However, the Vizio P series 4K demo absolutely blew away the Samsung and LG edge lit crap that was being displayed. Granted it was a uncompressed demo but on PQ alone, the Samsung 8500 and the LG could not touch it.
That was my experience at the store, as well. NO comparison to the others within a reasonably comparable price range. You'd have to spend 1.5-2x as much to get anything remotely close from what I saw.

Also, Vizio needs to spend a little more to pack their TV's correctly. They come damaged way too often.
With the P70 I just unboxed a couple of days ago, it seemed packed almost identically to the Samsungs, Sonys, Toshibas, and Panasonics I've unboxed over the past. I'd say your experience probably isn't the manufacturer's fault but rather your or your store's delivery service. Just received a package the other day that looked like it had gone through an industrial paper shredder and taken care of by an airport baggage handler. HUGE holes in the side and the box was beat to all hell. Thank goodness it wasn't anything electronic, and all the contents were amazingly there. If something WAS broken, I wouldn't be blaming the manufacturer, that's for sure. I shouldn't call them out like this, but it's getting really old...UPS seems to beat the ever living crap out of packages more than any other carrier.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I love how you shrug off the fact that their mainstream model last year, 2014 M, was junk. I had one for 2 weeks and returned it because no matter how hard I tried I could not get the colors right. I could have bought a light meter to calibrate it and maybe fixed it but decided to spend a extra $150 and get a Sony W800B, really good without having to mess with it.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love how you shrug off the fact that their mainstream model last year, 2014 M, was junk. I had one for 2 weeks and returned it because no matter how hard I tried I could not get the colors right. I could have bought a light meter to calibrate it and maybe fixed it but decided to spend a extra $150 and get a Sony W800B, really good without having to mess with it.
No I didn’t shrug it off. I stated that I thought they have made some poor performing TVs in the past and the replacements for those TVs weren't even remotely similar.

The 2014 Vizio M-series actually scored worse than the 2014 E-series on rtings.com despite the M-series being the more expensive TV.

For this year the M-series is clearly a better TV than the E-series and M-series last year. It is probably even better than the P-series from 2014 but that one is debatable.

I have always been upfront about what Vizio TVs I think are good and which TVs I think are not. I wouldn’t buy anything but a P-series from 2014 and even then I fully acknowledge that the P-series can have issues around gaming. I only bought my 50” P-series because I wanted to be able to compare it to the new M-series.

I needed a 50” 4K TV for one certain location and the 50” M-series are delayed right now so I figured I that the 50 P-series was a good deal since it was only $699.

These Vizio TVs are not the absolute best Tvs you can buy. However, they give you almost all of the performance for so much less than the competition that you can’t ignore them completely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I will agree that packing has never been an issue for me and Vizio. I have owned 3 sets and helped friends/relatives with many more. None of those ever had a packaging issue. In fact, my last Vizio purchase was actually an Amazon Warehouse deal that was purchased by someone, returned, and then shipped to me. Many shipping miles had been put on that box, and the packaging was flawless. Obviously, there will always be exceptions - but that can be the case with any manufacturer.

Quality control and customer support has improved IMMENSELY over the years. There are still frustrations occasionally, but again...this is inherent with any manufacturer. Look through any of the various threads and each model seems to have a common issue. Sony has them, Samsung has them, LG has them, Sharp has them.

I always thoroughly research any major purchase, such as a television. I feel like that is our responsibility as a consumer, to know what we are getting. Manufacturers can make all the promises in the universe, but it's the real-world information (mostly reviews) that I take with the most credibility. Televisions are not an area where you make a blind purchase unless you are indifferent to the quality.

Anyone that says they purchased a television and returned it within a day can only mean a handful of things in my mind: 1.) They received an obviously defective unit. This happens. 2.) They did not do their homework and had expectations that did not match what the set could offer. 3.) They were quick to make a purchase on a brand new model before any real-world knowledge was available, and did not properly temper their expectations. 4.) They never intended to keep the set in the first place.

I think people look at the low cost Vizios and think, "At that price, what have I got to lose?" and end up in situation #2 , #3 or #4 above. I would be willing to bet that the number of sets that arrive defective are on par with any other manufacturer.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
What the haters don't seem to understand is that ALL brands have theirs hits and misses. I've seen junk sets from Vizio, Samsung, and yes, even Sony. I've also owned fantastic ones from each. That's why it's worth it to do your research before you buy and why you can't blindly love one brand over another. I used to shrug off both Vizio and Samsung primarily because of awful soap opera effect in their earlier models. They've both come a long way in that department.

I understand people's hesitations since nobody wants to drop a couple grand just to get burned by what ends up being a crappy TV. I get that. At the same time, when it comes to electronics, the pace in the industry moves so lightning fast that companies can improve or deteriorate it's quality in the blink of an eye so there's no use in being loving/loathing one brand or another. It's pretty much year to year with these guys now, so in the end just make sure to do your research. The truth is Vizio makes some surprisingly good stuff these days, despite even my own former perceptions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's pretty much year to year with these guys now, so in the end just make sure to do your research.
THIS.

I will even take it a step further and say to research on a model-by-model basis. With the high degree of variability that goes into each of these sets, two sets from the same model line can be completely different. An example could be the radial banding that many of the Sony 70" 850B sets had. The rest of that line was very well received, but anyone that purchased a 70" model without knowing that was playing the lottery and potentially setting themselves up for disappointment.

Nothing in the electronics industry really falls under a blanket statement anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I will even take it a step further and say to research on a model-by-model basis. With the high degree of variability that goes into each of these sets, two sets from the same model line can be completely different.
Great point, and at times you might have to dig even a hair deeper than that. Ever notice the super sale on a TV at Wally World or BB? Sometimes the model number will be ever so slightly off from the more expensive one at other stores. Often times, manufacturers will make a slightly different model for their huge chain distributors, that can have different internal components that helps make them cheaper.

I bought a Sony many years from a HT store in Dallas that was the same model number as the one at BB which was like $500 cheaper. On the surface it looked the same, but the BB model had a couple extra letters on the model number. I checked it out, and even with adjusting everything at the store, the reds on mine were as true as could be on LCDs at the time, and the one at BB just couldn't achieve that level of red. More orange than anything. I learned that the two sets had different processors all together, which made for a superior and an inferior set, although they were supposedly the same model.

Usually the difference isn't THAT stark, but on that one it was. Glad I checked and compared in person! Kept my more expensive unit.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will agree that packing has never been an issue for me and Vizio. I have owned 3 sets and helped friends/relatives with many more. None of those ever had a packaging issue. In fact, my last Vizio purchase was actually an Amazon Warehouse deal that was purchased by someone, returned, and then shipped to me. Many shipping miles had been put on that box, and the packaging was flawless. Obviously, there will always be exceptions - but that can be the case with any manufacturer.

Quality control and customer support has improved IMMENSELY over the years. There are still frustrations occasionally, but again...this is inherent with any manufacturer. Look through any of the various threads and each model seems to have a common issue. Sony has them, Samsung has them, LG has them, Sharp has them.

I always thoroughly research any major purchase, such as a television. I feel like that is our responsibility as a consumer, to know what we are getting. Manufacturers can make all the promises in the universe, but it's the real-world information (mostly reviews) that I take with the most credibility. Televisions are not an area where you make a blind purchase unless you are indifferent to the quality.

Anyone that says they purchased a television and returned it within a day can only mean a handful of things in my mind: 1.) They received an obviously defective unit. This happens. 2.) They did not do their homework and had expectations that did not match what the set could offer. 3.) They were quick to make a purchase on a brand new model before any real-world knowledge was available, and did not properly temper their expectations. 4.) They never intended to keep the set in the first place.

I think people look at the low cost Vizios and think, "At that price, what have I got to lose?" and end up in situation #2 , #3 or #4 above. I would be willing to bet that the number of sets that arrive defective are on par with any other manufacturer.
This is a great post. I 100% agree.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just discovered something that I was not aware of. I had originally assumed that the E55-C1 was a non-IPS TV and the E55-C2 was an IPS TV. However, they list the viewing angle as 178 degrees for both models which is typically understood to mean they have IPS.

The only difference I could find in their specs was the speakers. The C1 version has 10w speakers while the C2 version has 15w speakers and the C1 has DTS TruVolume listed. So maybe you can’t look at the C1/C2 to determine if it is IPS or not?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts