AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please forgive the, perhaps, stupid question:

If you connect your [HT]PC to a LCD/Plasma TV, by use of HDMI cable, will things like "MotionFlow", "ClearMotion" and all those fancy things designed to make the viewer's experience better still work?

Or will it only work in standard TV mode where you get your signal from DVB-C, DVB-T or DVB-S?

I'm looking for a decent TV to connect to my PC [will use the TV as a second monitor in Windows 7].

90% of the viewing on the TV will be stuff that's on my PC's hard drive (movies, TV shows etc).

The remaining 10% will be sports and news from a DVB-C source.

But if things like ClearMotion etc do not work when you get the signal from your PC, then I would be wasting my money if I go out and buy a semi-expensive TV that has ClearMotion 100Hz/whatever, if it doesn't work when I watch stuff from my PC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollywood /forum/post/20850257

Hello,

Please forgive the, perhaps, stupid question:

If you connect your [HT]PC to a LCD/Plasma TV, by use of HDMI cable, will things like "MotionFlow", "ClearMotion" and all those fancy things designed to make the viewer's experience better still work?

Or will it only work in standard TV mode where you get your signal from DVB-C, DVB-T or DVB-S?

I'm looking for a decent TV to connect to my PC [will use the TV as a second monitor in Windows 7].

90% of the viewing on the TV will be stuff that's on my PC's hard drive (movies, TV shows etc).

The remaining 10% will be sports and news from a DVB-C source.

But if things like ClearMotion etc do not work when you get the signal from your PC, then I would be wasting my money if I go out and buy a semi-expensive TV that has ClearMotion 100Hz/whatever, if it doesn't work when I watch stuff from my PC.

Thanks.

Just tried it and it works on my Sony XBR4 from my HTPC.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sure it will still work. Not really different then hooking a DVD or BR player.

The HTPC will do the deinterlacing and scaling. The TV will do the motion compensation and reverse telecine if it has it.

We like to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping for the best picture, by turning off underscan and overscan. On some TVs to do this you have to set up the tv's to PC mode. I could see how this might turn off Motion compensation, but you will have to verify with someone with the particular model you choose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.