AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a fun fact for all Cleveland area residents.

The CBS sister station WUAB 43 has a digital station 28-1

If you get a chance, do a signal reading test:D

WUAB has no HD programs, but they have a signal reading in the high 70's.

I know its not possible, but why not broadcast the WOIO HD programs out of WUABs tower??? I know there are many rules from the FCC about this.

I find it a little sad the WUAB(a local POS cleveland station) can get it right, but CBS cant.

Who knows, maybe CBS tipped them off, and told them not to buy the wrong digital antenna:D

Fred

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey Fred!

Just to let you know they have the same parent company. As a matter of fact I think they share some of the same personnel and engineers. I have been in contact with the lead engineer for WOIO on several occasions and we have discusses WUAB more than once. I personally do not think they could legally change there broadcast location to WUAB's broadcast antenna. I think the boost in signal you see is due to the channel assignment of 28. This is a higher UHF frequency that your antenna may be a little more sensitive to. I live in North Olmsted and receive a signal strength of 65 with my HiPix on 28. I even have a dedicated 4 bay bow-tie Wineguard roof top antenna. I also have a dedicated VHF antenna and have been recently been getting 49 for a signal strength for WOIO. I think a great part of digital reception at least here in Cleveland has a little bit of voodoo involved. I think our saving grace here in Cleveland will be one of two things. One, Adelphia pulls them self out of the hole they have dug and can maintain there business without going bankrupt and as promised , and start broadcasting Local HDTV in January of 2003. Second, Adelphia goes out of business and someone like Warner Cable buys them out and they start broadcasting HDTV via cable. Other than that I see no solution to our collective problem with reception here in Cleveland.

p.s. If I am not mistaken they use an identical spherical broadcast antenna.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Was watching JAG last night. Signal strength was in high 80's. Dish 6000 locked into signal immediately. Checked Channel 43 for signal strength. Dish 6000 behaved as it used to when locking into CBS. Did they switch?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Guys,

I noticed out here in No. Ridgeville the last few nights that 19-1 is running at 100 sig strength. This is the first time I have noticed it. Usually it was in the high 70's out here. Did they finally get there antenna problem fixed, or did they finally go to full power? WUAB (28-1) is running at about 79. I figure that they are still in the testing phase. They also seem to have a problem with picture and sound matching up. I'm sure it's just the early growing pains that all stations seem to go through. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ben Music

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked CBS, and it is reading 37.

WUAB 43 (28-1) is 79.

Let me know what you guys are getting.

Thanks,

Fred

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
CBS is coming in at 75, WUAB is 51. CBS locks in immediately, WUAB takes about 3-4 seconds with pixilation before it locks in.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
There definitely seems to be a change in the CBS signal. This afternoon I got Channel 19-1 at a strength of 100 instead of the usual 65-72. Channel 43-1 was normal at 68. I always get 3-1, 5-1, and 8-1 at 100.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nooooooooooooooo WAY!

I know WOIO was petitioning to the FCC to allow them to increase there output, I guess they were given permission! My signal went from 59 to 83!!!! This is great news!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nicholas,

It is 7:34 am and I just checked my signal strength and it is a steady 83%! I think your installer was mis informed. Just curious who did your install?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just bought a MYHD card and am using the existing but very crappy traditional antenna on the roof. I want to either replace it or install a new antenna optimized for digital reception. I live in Fairview Park and was wondering what other Clevelanders suggest for an antenna to use in these parts.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Shawn,

Cleveland west side appears to be a difficult area for digital TV viewers. I have tried several combo antennas from Radio Shack and have not had very good results. I would suggest you stay away from them. I ended up with 2 different antennas, one for VHF and another for UHF. I used a Winegard PR-4400 for UHF, and a Prostar 5020 (which I see has now been discontinued) for VHF. I would highly suggest such a combo and they are both rather small antennas. In the end I think you will find one of two things will happen: One, it will work with little or no tweaking. Two, you will spend the rest of you days in a quest to receive the perfect digital signal! :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am still getting a 39:(

I may try to tweak the antenna a little bit more:rolleyes:

Fred

·
Registered
6 Posts
First time poster and new to HD although I've been reading for awhile. Have some questions?

What is a good signal strength? I usually get 82-88 on 2-1, 15-1, 31-1 and now 10-1. Can I get any higher from Medina? And, I am using an Antenna from Radio Shack and my HD looks great! or so I think. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. The best I have seen is Leno.

Also, does only an HD signal fill the screen? I have a 16:9 display. It kinda bugs me that the NBA finals are 14:9.

Also, why does ABC have the logo "DT 5.1" on the screen if they don't do it?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"First time poster and new to HD although I've been reading for awhile. Have some questions? "

Welcome, its nice to have you here.

"What is a good signal strength? I usually get 82-88 on 2-1, 15-1, 31-1 and now 10-1. Can I get any higher from Medina? And, I am using an Antenna from Radio Shack and my HD looks great! or so I think. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. The best I have seen is Leno."

82-85 is good! If I could only get that for CBS.

Leno does look good, but have you seen any HD.net content(Channel 199 on direcTV)? Some of that will make your jaw drop.

Hd baseball, Hockey, Bikini destinations, and a ton more.

Want to make everyone jealous, invite the friends over for an HD baseball game. It honestly looks like you are playing shortstop watching the pitcher throw to the catcher.

"Also, does only an HD signal fill the screen? I have a 16:9 display. It kinda bugs me that the NBA finals are 14:9. "

The NBA finals are not in HD, so what you are seeing is normal.

On almost all other HD programs do take up all of the screen.Some programs on Showtimes HD channel are shown in their Original Aspect Ratio, so there may be black bars on the top and bottom if that is the way the director shot the film. This is a good think IMHO, but some dont like this.

"Also, why does ABC have the logo "DT 5.1" on the screen if they don't do it?"

Thats their station ID flag. They are Digital channel 5.1 in Cleveland.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Odd but my DTC-100 shows WUAB channel 28 as 28-2. I'm getting a power level of 56. As for WOIO 10-1, I'm now get a power level of 80-82. It was 40. West side of Cleveland near Kamms Corner with rooftop antenna.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hey Fred how's it going? Just got back from out of town so I'm a bit late on the draw for this one!! Tuned in CBS WOIO & had a 93 reading!!! WOW!!! Channel 43 was still crappy at about 68 or so. Still acted like CBS did before.

Anyway, this is GREAT news as CBS is now ROCK SOLID instead of 58-68 readings! No need to worry about getting a Dish Network CBS waiver as OTA CBS is now in the house! If you are still having trouble I'd say you might have a setup problem.

-Todd

PS - to those looking for a cheap antenna that works well, I use a Channel Master Stealthtenna CM3010 . It's small (outdoor small that is), cheap ($29), & works like a charm for me.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dweezilz,

Its been better:rolleyes:

I moved the antenna today, and it didn't get any better.

With a signal reading of 37, I can watch programs without any dropouts DURING PRIMETIME ONLY(don't ask me why, because I have no idea):mad: .

I may try to add an amplifier if you guys think that it will help. Let me know what you think about that.

I get 100s on everything besides for CBS and WUAB. I am using an eight foot rat shack yagi antenna on the roof.

Are all of you using the huge antenna with rotors?

I may have to go with something like that if an amp wont work.

I can live without CBS for now, but when next football season hits, I will kick myself if I don't have everything up and running.

Jeffrey Schlak,

What is your signal reading for CBS, and if you don't mind, what antenna are you using?

Thanks again guys,,

Fred

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.