AVS Forum banner

15361 - 15380 of 15532 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Unless his TV added 68 without removing 6. Some TV's do that, particuarly those that don't automatically update channel changes. My Sanyo has WLFM listed on 6, 68 and 20. Only 68 at the moment shows the PSIP. My Samsung just has one listing for WLFM, which should automatically remap itself.
I did not do a total channel scan where it resets. On the Sony, you can just check for new channels which is what I usually do so I don't lose some of the weaker ones such as Youngstown which I receive occasionally.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have to try to move my antenna and see if 27 comes in better as it used to be there all the time on 16. But my antenna is pointed more towards Akron for WEAO. Will see what happens.
Speaking of 27, (which I'm currently watching festival of fear on) since they reclaimed their old virtual 35, why didn't they get their old WAX call back?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Alphanumerical callsigns like W27EA-D are based on your RF number, not your virtual number. Plus they're automatically assigned in order based on the next available sequence when you made the filing for that RF number. i.e. a translator in Puerto Rico filed for RF 27 about two months before the Celevland RF 27 station did, and they were assigned W27DZ-D

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Alphanumerical callsigns like W27EA-D are based on your RF number, not your virtual number. Plus they're automatically assigned in order based on the next available sequence when you made the filing for that RF number. i.e. a translator in Puerto Rico filed for RF 27 about two months before the Celevland RF 27 station did, and they were assigned W27DZ-D
So they are spit out like amateur radio callsigns, I kind of assumed this. (Though someone like Andrew K is free to change or personalize at a later date), though my question was since they took their old logical channel 35 back (which would make more sense later if WRAP is taking physical channel 16), they would take back either of their old CAT callsigns back WAX or WAOH. I'm thinking now 29 virtual channel may had been another option since we have an RF 35 here.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Trip could confirm it for sure, but I don't think it's possible to request specific alphanumeric callsigns, and they probably don't allow you to request 3 character callsigns anymore.

If they really wanted to keep the callsign of the defunct station, they would have filed to transfer it to this station back in 2017. Right now there's nothing stopping another station from paying the filing fee and taking the WAOH callsign for themselves.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Correct. W35AX is long gone as a callsign. They could request an available four-letter callsign if they so chose.

- Trip

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Correct. W35AX is long gone as a callsign. They could request an available four-letter callsign if they so chose.

- Trip
Trip could confirm it for sure, but I don't think it's possible to request specific alphanumeric callsigns, and they probably don't allow you to request 3 character callsigns anymore.

If they really wanted to keep the callsign of the defunct station, they would have filed to transfer it to this station back in 2017. Right now there's nothing stopping another station from paying the filing fee and taking the WAOH callsign for themselves.
It was hypothetical, I thought their call was WAX, but that was just on their ID logo.

WAOH-CD was originally licensed on July 14, 1987, as W29AI, and did not sign on until 1990. It became WAOH-LP on August 21, 1995, and WAOH-CD on December 30, 2014. W35AX was licensed on November 30, 1989, and signed on in 1996 as a simulcast of WAOH-LP. W35AX became known as W16DO-D on March 16, 2015 after its conversion to digital.

My bad. the # in the call takes it to its Physical channel in all cases then?

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Yes, the number corresponds to the physical channel.

- Trip

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Once the license to cover is granted, it will become W13DS-D.

- Trip

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The Race is on. Does the ElectroStatic RF Pit 3 light up before The Rapture? 😇

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
WLFM-LD has been back on the air with Jewerly TV since yesterday afternoon. They still need to fix that flaky encoder.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Scripps is buying ION Media for $2.65 billion and will spin off 23 of Ion's 71 stations:

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The Race is on. Does the ElectroStatic RF Pit 3 light up before The Rapture? 😇
I knew the mention of fiddy too would get you to crawl out of the woodwork....

Eh, the world still goes round, everyone being rotten to one another, nothing changes.

WLFM-LD has been back on the air with Jewerly TV since yesterday afternoon. They still need to fix that flaky encoder.
Other than the signal dropouts it looked OK to me.

Oh, God. I don't want to see an ION sub on WEWS, or see Grit/Laff moved over to WVPX.

EW Scripps buys ION
E.W. Scripps Buys ION Media For $2.65B, With Berkshire Hathaway Investment

At least now EW Scripps can have control over WVPX and possibly create an Akron focus newscast? Will the WDLI license likely be sold off?
Another Ion tired to 5.5, we do have 2 Dabl's here. WAKR had a newscast back in the day, it seems they are getting more away from local programming.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Another Ion tired to 5.5, we do have 2 Dabl's here. WAKR had a newscast back in the day, it seems they are getting more away from local programming.
Possibly. That may help with ION's OTA coverage along the lake, but it will just be another duplicate network in most areas. Not to mention it likely being in SD. I can only hope that if Scripps buys WVPX, ION and Qubo will stay right where there at, ION Plus will move back to 23.3 as they will likely sell the WDLI license, and that the shopping networks on 23.4-.6 will all be replaced with Laff, Grit & Court TV for better coverage in the southern portion of WEWS' viewing area. Sounds redundant, unless it's possible to move WVPX's transmitter up to the Parma tower farm and then split the networks between the two. I'm just against it because WVPX doesn't come in well for me, though moving to RF 22 and/or broadcasting from the WDLI tower seems to have helped stabilize my reception.

Yeah, I still don't know why we have two DABL's. Their site originally listed WQHS, but now it's WOIO and not both. WQHS must still be under contract or the network is still paying them for coverage. I tried contacting them about this but never received a response. Of course, this was back before everything shut down, so perhaps they forgot. I'll have to try contacting them again.

WVPX had an Akron/Canton based newscast years ago, which was produced by WKYC. This was unusual as most then-PAX O&O stations didn't allow for local programming. The newscasts moved to Time Warner when PAX was rebranded as "i". When Scripps takes over, perhaps changes will be introduced that will allow newscasts or other local programming to return to the main channel.

·
Registered
950 Posts
WVPX had an Akron/Canton based newscast years ago, which was produced by WKYC. This was unusual as most then-PAX O&O stations didn't allow for local programming.
In the early 00s, nearly every PAX O&O had a newscast produced by the station who was handling their local ad sales. i.e. WNBC produced the 7pm newscast for WPXN in NYC, WCAU produced the news for WPPX in Philly, WVIT produced the news for WHPX in Connecticut, and WNEP produced the news for WQPX in Scranton.

In that linked press release and presentation from Scripps it says they will be divesting 23 Ion stations to a new owner who agreed to keep the Ion programming on those stations, and the Ion stations will be the new home for Katz networks once their current deals with 3rd party broadcasting groups expire. (Hopefully they make that decision market by market since there are a bunch of markets where Ion doesn't have as good of a reach compared to the current stations carrying the Katz networks, especially in markets where Ion switched towers to get away from American Tower)

Since WDLI is a guest station to WVPX, they probably won't even bother divesting WDLI and just surrender the license to the FCC to remain under the cap in Cleveland. WVPX is also surrounded by other RF 22 allocations, including one across the lake in Canada, which would make moving harder.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
In the linked press release from and presentation from Scripps it says they will be divesting 23 Ion stations to a new owner who agreed to keep the Ion programming on those stations, and the Ion stations will be the new home for Katz networks once their current deals with 3rd party broadcasting groups expire. (Hopefully they make that decision market by market since there are a bunch of markets where Ion doesn't have as good of a reach compared to the current stations carrying the Katz networks, especially in markets where Ion switched towers to get away from American Tower)
WEWS has some of those Katz networks already... Grit, Laff & Court TV. Bounce & Mystery are carried on other stations, so you're saying if the ION O&O stations are sold off to someone else, Bounce and Mystery may eventually end up there, or only if Scripps buys WVPX?

Many viewers north of the WEWS transmitter may have issues with reception with WVPX. I only have issues because my antenna isn't pointed in that direction. (About a 68 degree difference). Any yes, ION's transmitters are sometimes located in odd locations. A few did move closer, like one in Ann Arbor? Years ago I always wanted WVPX and WQHS to swap affiliations, as PAX at the time had some good programming which was always snowy and fading out in the analog days, while Univision on WQHS was useless to me. I'd probably would have watched some more PAX if my reception of them was much better.

WVPX was one that moved off of an American Tower-owned tower, but literally just a mile down the street. (Formally WDLI's digital RF 49/formally RF 39).

Since WDLI is a guest station to WVPX, they probably won't even bother divesting WDLI and just surrender the license to the FCC to remain under the cap in Cleveland. WVPX is also surrounded by other RF 22 allocations, including one across the lake in Canada, which would make moving harder.
Yeah perhaps. That's just one less station though. If they do sell it, it'll likely be bought by a religious network. TBN again?

RF 22 from Parma looks like it will work, but only if a null is placed towards the northwest. (To protect both WDWO-CD & WBGU). Allocation map. That's assuming if they want to invest in the move, which will probably make Canton area viewers unhappy.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Installation video of WKBD's repack antenna. I'm sharing it here as the current day WKBD tower closely resembles that of the original WKBF/WUAB tower when first built.

I guess Kaiser Broadcasting stuck with the same tower design for its stations.

15361 - 15380 of 15532 Posts