AVS Forum banner

15381 - 15400 of 15659 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I knew the mention of fiddy too would get you to crawl out of the woodwork....

Eh, the world still goes round, everyone being rotten to one another, nothing changes.

Other than the signal dropouts it looked OK to me.

Another Ion tired to 5.5, we do have 2 Dabl's here. WAKR had a newscast back in the day, it seems they are getting more away from local programming.
Why does nobody think this could be an opportunity to move channels around to free up space for astc 3.0 to come sooner to Cleveland/Akron market?

k

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The Race is on. Does the ElectroStatic RF Pit 3 light up before The Rapture? 😇
I’m looking forward to seeing WGGN back on the air, and hopefully it’s soon. I have an actual low-VHF tower-mounted antenna on a rotator, but I don’t know if it’ll be enough. I could never get WGGN on RF 42, but back then, they had a directional pattern. RF 3 will not be directional. By the way, I logged WBRA Roanoke on RF 3 a couple weeks ago. I noticed the signal bar was about 60% at times without a decode. So I think something in the house or the neighbor’s was interfering with RF 3.

·
Registered
2020 TCL 55R635 TV (OLED-Like) - Brightly-lit, Pinpoint, Tiny Stars!), Vizio Sound Bar
3,985 Posts
Eh, the world still goes round, everyone being rotten to one another, nothing changes.

That's what happened back in Noah's day. That world continued on as usual, then BAM! The Floods came. Same today. Everything looks like it will go on as usual, until... BAM! Millions gone in an instant. The unaccountable disappear, also: All young children, babies (in or out of the womb), and older people not held accountable. Get on board now! (I Cor 15:1-4)

Reactions: Andrew K

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's what happened back in Noah's day. That world continued on as usual, then BAM! The Floods came. Same today. Everything looks like it will go on as usual, until... BAM! Millions gone in an instant. The unaccountable disappear, also: All young children, babies (in or out of the womb), and older people not held accountable. Get on board now! (I Cor 15:1-4)
So will WGGN get on the air before the rapture? That apparently must be the question!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I'll be sure to start stopping at ARCO to get my ark and set of free plastic animals with every fillup! 🙂

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
WVPX was one that moved off of an American Tower-owned tower, but literally just a mile down the street. (Formally WDLI's digital RF 49/formally RF 39).
And of course, WDLI is still transmitting from there, but now as a channel share on WVPX/RF 22.

American Tower bought the old site that was the former WAKR-TV/WAKC-TV tower. There's still a lot on the tower even after WVPX moved down the road. Former WAKR-TV sister WONE/97.5 is there, and I believe WOIO/19's Akron repeater is there, among other (radio) stations/translators/etc.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
American Tower bought the old site that was the former WAKR-TV/WAKC-TV tower. There's still a lot on the tower even after WVPX moved down the road. Former WAKR-TV sister WONE/97.5 is there, and I believe WOIO/19's Akron repeater is there, among other (radio) stations/translators/etc.
The original WAKC/WVPX tower was rebuilt around 2000, adopting it's current candelabra/goal post top. Not sure if rebuilting had something to do with installing their digital RF 59 antenna that was never used.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Agreed, but maybe you missed what I was asking.
Discussions were giving up the license, etc. There was a previous discussion about channels moving around as is in Pittsburgh.
Anybody else have thoughts?
k
Univision O&O KSTR in Dallas went ATSC 3.0 sometime ago, simulcasting the main channels of both KDFW and KUVN-CD in ATSC 3.0. Perhaps WQHS will do the same, at the expensive of dropping a diginet (DABL?) for additional bandwidth.

They could use some of W27EA-D bandwidth for ATSC 3.0, or just buy the station right off of Media-Com and use it to simulcast the main channels of all the full power stations exclusively in ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Univision O&O KSTR in Dallas went ATSC 3.0 sometime ago, simulcasting the main channels of both KDFW and KUVN-CD in ATSC 3.0. Perhaps WQHS will do the same, at the expensive of dropping a diginet (DABL?) for additional bandwidth.

They could use some of W27EA-D bandwidth for ATSC 3.0, or just buy the station right off of Media-Com and use it to simulcast the main channels of all the full power stations exclusively in ATSC 3.0.
What about Scripps using ION purchase to use RF22 for astc 3.0 and move some channels to this frequency? Also, move it to Parma as someone suggested?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What about Scripps using ION purchase to use RF22 for astc 3.0 and move some channels to this frequency? Also, move it to Parma as someone suggested?
I don’t think WVPX/WDLI is moving to Parma... that would just toss more coverage over Lake Erie or Lake County (which no OTA broadcaster cares about lol). But I do think WVPX would be a good choice for ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

You can't mix-and-match ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 subs on the same transmitter since they use different modulation schemes (8VSB vs OFDM). If WQHS went ATSC3 they would need another ATSC1 station to carry at least Univision. WQHS would not need to drop any diginets as they would have tons of capacity using ATSC3 (even if practically no one can see them due to the lack of ATSC3 tuners available).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don’t think WVPX/WDLI is moving to Parma... that would just toss more coverage over Lake Erie or Lake County (which no OTA broadcaster cares about lol). But I do think WVPX would be a good choice for ATSC 3.0.
Agreed. Though probably Ion and Ion Plus would be crammed onto WEWS (since they would need to be simulcated on a 1.0 station). Not sure about the shopping channels (they would not be happy being carried on a station that practically no one can see)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
According to the latest WGGN TV application, they say the helicopter is supposed to be installing the new channel 3 antenna today or tomorrow, and since the weather is perfect today, I’d see no reason for a delay. We should know by the end of the week if WGGN is going to be on the air.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You can't mix-and-match ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 subs on the same transmitter since they use different modulation schemes (8VSB vs OFDM).
Isn't that what they're doing with KSTR? Or are they occasionally switching between the two versions (like the WJW ATSC 3.0 test station)? It's not very clear which of their subchannels is using which version according to the Rabbitears listing.

15381 - 15400 of 15659 Posts