AVS Forum banner

15401 - 15420 of 15659 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Isn't that what they're doing with KSTR? Or are they occasionally switching between the two versions (like the WJW ATSC 3.0 test station)? It's not very clear which of their subchannels is using which version according to the Rabbitears listing.
No way this is possible (unless they are switching the signal between 3.0 and 1.0). ATSC 3 uses OFDM modulation which 1.0 receivers are blind to regardless of how the individual subs are encoded (MPEG2, H.264, H.265).

EDIT: Unless they are transmitting in 1.0 modulation (i.e. 8VSB modulation) but encoding some of the subs in H.264 or even H.265 (newer sets might be able to decode at least 264). But this isn't really ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No way this is possible (unless they are switching the signal between 3.0 and 1.0). ATSC 3 uses OFDM modulation which 1.0 receivers are blind to regardless of how the individual subs are encoded (MPEG2, H.264, H.265).

EDIT: Unless they are transmitting in 1.0 modulation (i.e. 8VSB modulation) but encoding some of the subs in H.264 or even H.265 (newer sets might be able to decode at least 264). But this isn't really ATSC 3.0.
On Rabbitears there's a thick green arrow to the right of TX. If you hover over it it says station is ATSC3.0. All the subchannels are ATSC 3.0. No one I'm aware of is encoding ATSC 1.0 on any subchannel in anything but MPEG2. I'm betting the ATSC 1.0 mobile TV people have turned all that off in favor of adding more diginets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Univision O&O KSTR in Dallas went ATSC 3.0 sometime ago, simulcasting the main channels of both KDFW and KUVN-CD in ATSC 3.0. Perhaps WQHS will do the same, at the expensive of dropping a diginet (DABL?) for additional bandwidth.

They could use some of W27EA-D bandwidth for ATSC 3.0, or just buy the station right off of Media-Com and use it to simulcast the main channels of all the full power stations exclusively in ATSC 3.0.
After the 5g turn on many people have interference issues, thus would it may sense for WVIZ or WQHS want to obtain/swap for the RF22 frequency or W27EA-D frequency? Does anyone know if 5g would also affect astc 3.0? My guess yes, but if not use this frequency for astc 3.0?
k

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can't mix-and-match ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 subs on the same transmitter since they use different modulation schemes (8VSB vs OFDM). If WQHS went ATSC3 they would need another ATSC1 station to carry at least Univision. WQHS would not need to drop any diginets as they would have tons of capacity using ATSC3 (even if practically no one can see them due to the lack of ATSC3 tuners available).
Doesn't WQHS get a kickback from sales on these shopping channels? If so, I doubt they want to lose a revenue stream.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK, what is an "HDhomerun"?

They had a kickstarter for their new atsc 3.0 4 tuner box a while back and I got one....I really was hoping cleveland would be one of the first to get channels up. We will see, right now I have the hd homerun (atsc 1.0) and a channels dvr server for my ota locals.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

They had a kickstarter for their new atsc 3.0 4 tuner box a while back and I got one....I really was hoping cleveland would be one of the first to get channels up. We will see, right now I have the hd homerun (atsc 1.0) and a channels dvr server for my ota locals.
Did I miss the boat for getting one of these tuners first? Am I going to have to wait until I can actually purchase one from the company’s website? When I go to the link, it appears to be a social justice website and not the actual company that makes them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did I miss the boat for getting one of these tuners first? Am I going to have to wait until I can actually purchase one from the company’s website? When I go to the link, it appears to be a social justice website and not the actual company that makes them.
Yes Kickstarter is over and the website I linked is def. the manufacturers website. I just pulled it up google hd home run and you will see their website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
After the 5g turn on many people have interference issues, thus would it may sense for WVIZ or WQHS want to obtain/swap for the RF22 frequency or W27EA-D frequency? Does anyone know if 5g would also affect astc 3.0? My guess yes, but if not use this frequency for astc 3.0?
k
Why would they swap frequencies with WVPX? They're Cleveland stations serving... well... the Cleveland area. And Akron already has a PBS member station, so it would be silly for WVIZ to move to RF 22 and compete head-to-head with WEAO. W27EA-D is a low power station, and I don't think either WVIZ or WQHS would want a smaller coverage area.

5G interference can easily be solved by purchasing a LTE filter, making sure it filters over 600 MHz and not 700 MHz. If reception issues still occur with WVIZ and/or WQHS after installing a LTE filter, chances are that the two stations are creating adjacent interference with each other.

Doesn't WQHS get a kickback from sales on these shopping channels? If so, I doubt they want to lose a revenue stream.
What shopping channels? They use to air HSN a long time ago before Univision bought the station back in 2002, hence the "HS" in the call letters.

I assume you meant WVPX?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
According to the latest WGGN TV application, they say the helicopter is supposed to be installing the new channel 3 antenna today or tomorrow, and since the weather is perfect today, I’d see no reason for a delay. We should know by the end of the week if WGGN is going to be on the air.
Just drove past there an hour ago, nothing has been done to the tower (the old UHF stick is still there).

Perhaps it's been too windy the last couple days for the helicopter?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Just drove past there an hour ago, nothing has been done to the tower (the old UHF stick is still there).

Perhaps it's been too windy the last couple days for the helicopter?
Wind gusts possible over 40 mph today... but tomorrow winds are light, same with Friday. We will see what happens with fiddy-doo.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Plus keep in mind it's much more windy at the top of the tower than it is at ground level, and even though a helicopter is doing the lift, a crew still has to climb the tower to attach the antenna.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Austin has four channels according to this:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Austin has four channels according to this:

If I'm reading this right, KBVO-CD is the ATSC 3 station (carrying all the above stations listed and presumably all their subs), and the programming that it had been carrying is now being simulcasted in 1.0 on KNVA (.1 - NyNet), on KEYE (.2 - Bounce & .3 - H&I), and on KXAN (.4 - Antennta TV).

The equivalent in Cleveland would be W27EA as the 3.0 station (carrying at least 4 broadcasters and their subs in 3.0 format), and Retro simulcated in 1.0 on, say, WJW.or some other station with enough bandwidth for another SD sub.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I see WIVX-LD is testing now on channel 13 from their Doylestown transmitter site. I'm receiving them with good signal strength here on the west side of Akron. I see color bars and a blank screen at times. And as I type this, it appears that Retro programming was just turned on. Is anyone else receiving them in the Akron area? Here is their coverage... RabbitEars.Info

Attachments

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I see WIVX-LD is testing now on channel 13 from their Doylestown transmitter site. I'm receiving them with good signal strength here on the west side of Akron. I see color bars and a blank screen at times. And as I type this, it appears that Retro programming was just turned on. Is anyone else receiving them in the Akron area? Here is their coverage... RabbitEars.Info
Channel 13-257?

Not seeing anything here, even though it's barely making it to where I'm at. Not happy about them beaming their RF 13 signal up here as this will wipe out my reception of WTVG. Boo!:(

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Channel 13-257?

Not seeing anything here, even though it's barely making it to where I'm at. Not happy about them beaming their RF 13 signal up here as this will wipe out my reception of WTVG. Boo!:(
WIVX-LD 13 decodes no matter where I aim. It's strong here. By the way, this forum is really annoying since it randomly diverts to spam websites. Is anyone else having this problem? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
WIVX-LD 13 decodes no matter where I aim. It's strong here. By the way, this forum is really annoying since it randomly diverts to spam websites. Is anyone else having this problem? Or is it just me?
I checked with a Zenith converter box, and I'm getting non-decoding signals on RF 11 & RF 13, so more than likely WTOL & WTVG are trying to make an appearance tonight, which means no WIVX for me at the moment... or at all unless I turn the antenna more towards Akron.

Futhermore, I contacted the folks over at WLFM-LD a while ago and asked them to carry This TV & Light TV on their subchannels along with a few others. They said that they will take my suggestions into consideration, but now with WIVX-LD invading more of the Cleveland area with their This & Light affiliations, I'm afraid that they will prevent WLFM-LD from picking up those networks should they decide to carry them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was having the same issue with spam such as Norton Antivirus has expired or Adobe Flash needs updating etc. I'm using a Mac with Safari. What worked for me and has before, is to use the Empty Cache command. So far, it is working. I'm thinking it comes from those ads that keep changing on the side.

15401 - 15420 of 15659 Posts