AVS Forum banner

15781 - 15800 of 15847 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I also took my mock up logo and placed it over the existing on-screen logo currently seen on 25.1. Resized it down to the current one and increased the transparency. It didn't look anymore bothersome. But yes, I don't know why PBS all of a sudden needs to spell out their initials. It just takes up more space, as demonstrated by WEAO. Just getting rid of the "PBS" initials and shrinking the logo to a slight degree would be significant enough.
Makes sense as most viewers know what channel is PBS but I suppose that now that there are more sub channels as well as others on cable/satellite, each wants to differentiate themselves with some being more annoying than others. On 49.3, the logo is a bit smaller so that could be done on 49.1 as well.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Makes sense as most viewers know what channel is PBS but I suppose that now that there are more sub channels as well as others on cable/satellite, each wants to differentiate themselves with some being more annoying than others. On 49.3, the logo is a bit smaller so that could be done on 49.1 as well.
Yes, seeing that 49.1 is in HD, they could make it smaller and still have it be readable at the same time.

WBNX has gotten a bit better over the years with their bugs. I remember around the mid 2000's they had a huge opaque WB logo on the screen that was hard to ignore, and it wasn't a hourly id that showed both Akron/Cleveland underneath it. Later they had some bulky version with the E/I incorporated in it that they simply plastered over the embedded one supplied from the syndicator. I guess they stopped doing that as they either got complaints or whoever at master control got tired of watching the programs and activating/deactivating it, or moving it to a different corner of the screen. Same with WB/CW programming, where they used to slap "Cleveland's" or "WBNX-HD" over the network bug, though I think that ended when The CW started slapping ads above it. It seems that everything has been automated since they been able to syndicate in HD.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Found WIVX-LD 13's tower today. It's off Gates Street in/near Doylestown, just north of 585. It's the only tower in the immediate area that is not a giant cell phone tower.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Buzzr is still on WEKA 41.2 but the signal changes from day to day.
Well, that does me no good. WEKA-LD is the only HC2 Broadcasting station that doesn't decode for me. Not sure why they had to put Timeless TV on WUEK-LD .2... I already get it on KONV/WQDI .4.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pretty sure it's just one of those glorified infomercial dumps that HC2 is known to stuff its stations with.
Well, I tuned in to Timeless last night and they were airing The Beverly Hillbillies. It looked to be the very first episode as Jed and family were seeing their new home for the first time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It will get old really quick. Timeless is nothing but a glorified infomercial channel where they loop the same few episodes of public domain shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Bonanza to trick you into watching the infomercials and long form ads that are the "presenting sponsor", so you never get to a see a full series run. Their sister station Magnificent Movies Network does the same with public domain movies like Rescue from Gilligan's Island, My Favorite Brunette and Night of the Living Dead.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I can't get it on a daily basis anyway.
They have a STA for 5 kW, but I'm not sure what's holding it up or why they're not operating at that power. I'm assuming they're currently at .075 kW, which expired in March of last year. I think their STA's are just for until they start transmitting from the WTAM tower in Brecksville.

WEKA-LD - Rabbitears

Still think it was dumb for them to pull Buzzr from WUEK-LD but leave it on WEKA-LD where only a few viewers can currently receive that station. I've sent HC2 an email, but have yet to hear back from them.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
It will get old really quick. Timeless is nothing but a glorified infomercial channel where they loop the same few episodes of public domain shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Bonanza to trick you into watching the infomercials and long form ads that are the "presenting sponsor"
No telling who will fall for such a sham....

...pulls out wallet, flip flip flip.....

·
Registered
25 Posts

Obligatory rabbit ears info above.

So purchase the house about 8 - 10 years ago and have the traditional 1990s dual antenna setup on the top of a freestanding tower Right next to the house that clears the roof line. We brought the tower down a few years ago and recabled and bypassed whatever looked like it was shorted out and burned up. Best I can tell traditional channel master directional antenna and so on. It might have been some kind of a amplifier up there but I'm not sure.

Earlier this year we got rid of dish Network and decided to work on going OTA. Trying to read on this form and others specific information about signal strengths what you can do to potentially pull in some of the weaker channels.

Of course my weaker channel is 8 and 19. That doesn't seem too foreign in this thread. So I have a couple questions, hopefully the correct place to ask.

What's the best way to bring the two antenna signals down, combine them then split them to multiple TVs? Do I use a standard splitter for this, are those bi-directional?

What would be the most likely cause / fix to getting channel 8 and 19 in?

I have approximately eight TVs I'd like to split the signal too ideally. What would be a good splitter to use, assuming some sort of powered amplifiers going to be needed.

If there's more information I can provide I can certainly try to do so, if there's a better spot to ask this question The moderator can certainly move my thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

Obligatory rabbit ears info above.

So purchase the house about 8 - 10 years ago and have the traditional 1990s dual antenna setup on the top of a freestanding tower Right next to the house that clears the roof line. We brought the tower down a few years ago and recabled and bypassed whatever looked like it was shorted out and burned up. Best I can tell traditional channel master directional antenna and so on. It might have been some kind of a amplifier up there but I'm not sure.

Earlier this year we got rid of dish Network and decided to work on going OTA. Trying to read on this form and others specific information about signal strengths what you can do to potentially pull in some of the weaker channels.

Of course my weaker channel is 8 and 19. That doesn't seem too foreign in this thread. So I have a couple questions, hopefully the correct place to ask.

What's the best way to bring the two antenna signals down, combine them then split them to multiple TVs? Do I use a standard splitter for this, are those bi-directional?

What would be the most likely cause / fix to getting channel 8 and 19 in?

I have approximately eight TVs I'd like to split the signal too ideally. What would be a good splitter to use, assuming some sort of powered amplifiers going to be needed.

If there's more information I can provide I can certainly try to do so, if there's a better spot to ask this question The moderator can certainly move my thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ideally with a separate UHF VHF antenna setup like that, you would want to feed the coaxial cable to the UHF antenna (top) first, then use twin lead between it and the VHF (bottom) antenna, using stand offs so that the twin lead doesn't touch the mast.

The VHF antenna is needed in order to reliably bring in WJW & WOIO/WUAB, and something like what you already have should be good enough, though these stations broadcast on the hi-VHF band, and what you have looks like it's mostly for lo-VHF (longer elements). I think your problem is that the antennas need to be higher up in order to grab a stronger signal. Is the antenna aimed precisely towards the Parma tower farm?

You also mentioned that you replaced the coax going up to the antenna. Did you use RG-6 or RG-6 QS grade cabling or the cheaper inferior RG-59?

Also, feeding 8 TVs? Know that every time you add a splitter, your signal degrades, much like losing water pressure while using a hose splitter. You'll lose about 3.5 dB with a two way and about 6 with a three way. An amp may help, but seeing that you're quite a ways out, I would minimize splitter usage as much as possible. A direct connection to the antenna is going to get you the strongest possible signal.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi All - long time since I’ve posted here. Is anyone else having issues with Channel 8 since yesterday evening? All the main local stations are usually solid for me.

My TV shows an SNR of 25dB or greater for 3/5/19/25/43/55/61, but 8 is at 12-14dB. Usually it mirrors 19’s SNR. I haven’t changed antenna position.

15781 - 15800 of 15847 Posts