AVS Forum banner

15801 - 15820 of 15847 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
UHF antenna (top) first, then use twin lead between it and the VHF (bottom) antenna, using stand offs so that the twin lead doesn't touch the mast.

I think your problem is that the antennas need to be higher up in order to grab a stronger signal. Is the antenna aimed precisely towards the Parma tower farm?

You also mentioned that you replaced the coax going up to the antenna. Did you use RG-6 or RG-6 QS grade cabling or the cheaper inferior RG-59?

I would minimize splitter usage as much as possible. A direct connection to the antenna is going to get you the strongest possible signal.
Lot of great info here snowdog 88, really appreciate it. looks like I'm going to do some digging to figure out what some of the terminology is here.

UHF antenna (top) first, then use twin lead between it and the VHF
I'm confident that cable has been electrical taped to the mast all the way down using standoffs is another important feature?

The mast hight I have is going to be about it. I don't think I can add to it or do anything else at this point.

antenna aimed precisely towards the Parma tower farm?
Here's a newbie question, what direction am I pointed right now, towards the house or towards that tree bush? I'm assuming towards the house which is the general direction of Parma

I'll check that cabling to see what kind it is. Got it from a friend can only assume it's the cheaper stuff.

Didn't adjust anything with the position just because at the time I wasn't really too concerned just wanted to see if I could get it to work. About the only way I would think I could kind of verify that with the tools I have is maybe using Google maps on my phone and stand in the direction looking at Parma seeing if I'm pointed that way but I'm sure there's way better more official measurements we could take I just don't have any of those tools.

Lastly I completely understand the splitter usage and have found enough information on that where it makes sense. Have a man cave plus a couple other TVs scattered throughout the house and that's what we're trying to feed. I have the original channel master amp that came with the house, not sure if it's sufficient.

What's interesting is most TVs aren't really affected if I have a splitter in them or not, if I go antenna directly to the TV by passing all splitters I pretty much have the same results which starts to lead to a little bit of my confusion and testing. Not sure if this is a decent splitter or not, if I feed into the middle and out I seem to have more issues. I'm not sure if something is burnt out on it or not.

I'll take recommendations!

I really appreciate it, continuing to read!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
UHF antenna (top) first, then use twin lead between it and the VHF
I'm confident that cable has been electrical taped to the mast all the way down using standoffs is another important feature?
If it's coaxial cable, you're fine with the tape. Twin lead (flat cable) is not shielded, and should be about 3 inches away from any metal to avoid degradation in reception. Hence the standoffs.

Here's a newbie question, what direction am I pointed right now, towards the house or towards that tree bush? I'm assuming towards the house which is the general direction of Parma
According to your Rabbitears report, you'll need to aim the antenna towards the northeast, or slightly below it (59 degrees true north/67 degrees magnetic) for the Cleveland stations. That would be the UHF antenna with the long boom pointing in that direction, with the reflector being on the far end.

About the only way I would think I could kind of verify that with the tools I have is maybe using Google maps on my phone and stand in the direction looking at Parma seeing if I'm pointed that way but I'm sure there's way better more official measurements we could take I just don't have any of those tools.
Using Google Earth, you can draw a line from your location to Parma. That will give you about the same coordinates as Rabbitears, but with the satellite imagery, you can use an object that the line travels over as a reference point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Google Earth I have not used, so try this also.
I have been using an Android app(Iphone??) from google play from Winegard "TV Signal". The app has an antenna and satellite pointer.
If you open Antenna pointer, there is a circle with AR(kind like virtual reality). Then you point your phone towards Parma and it shows the stations directions using your camera app. You may to click on station to get more details.
Additionally, if you think the direction is incorrect you may need to calibrate your phone in google maps. You will need to do 5-10 figure 8's to re-calibrate. Hope this helps.
k

·
Registered
192 Posts
WIVM-TV will be adding TheGrio.TV on their .3 channels in place of LIGHT TV, which will be going dark January 15 according to their Facebook page. They also told me in answer to an inquiry/suggestion, that they plan to add Retro TV in the future. They are "Working on it."

·
Registered
795 Posts
Columbus ATSC 3.0 is live now. Is Cleveland soon? What does all this mean for us?
I am hoping information trickles out of ces 21 this year...I know I just read 20 cities should be coming online soon according to a article just posted on cordcuttersnews.. I am patiently waiting to give my hd homerun a 4k trial here in this market!!!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
WIVM-TV will be adding TheGrio.TV on their .3 channels in place of LIGHT TV, which will be going dark January 15 according to their Facebook page. They also told me in answer to an inquiry/suggestion, that they plan to add Retro TV in the future. They are "Working on it."
Sent them an email about that a week ago, but no one ever bothered to reply back. Thanks for confirming.

What about NewsNet? TitanTV shows WIVM .4 as NewsNet, with Retro TV being on .5

·
Registered
192 Posts
Still don't know where that comes from. There's also the Hazen Radio stations now on .4 At this point, We will see what happens. Nothing would surprise me beyond January 15. Rabbit Ears has shown NewsNet on .4 for several weeks now.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

- Trip

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

Ion Plus, Qubo, Shop & the Shopping Networks will all be gone by the end of February.

What will happen to WDLI since it's an Ion Plus affiliate?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cleveland is a market that has some of the Katz networks on Scripps owned stations, so they'll be able to move Grit, Laff and CourtTV right away. My guess is WDLI will get CourtTV for 17.1 since it already has a primary slot in some other markets like Bakersfield and West Palm Beach.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Cleveland is a market that has some of the Katz networks on Scripps owned stations, so they'll be able to move Grit, Laff and CourtTV right away. My guess is WDLI will get CourtTV for 17.1 since it already has a primary slot in some other markets like Bakersfield and West Palm Beach.
I hoping that they'll keep those networks right there on WEWS, though I don't care about CourtTV or Mystery. WEWS is one of those stations that currently doesn't carry diginets from anyone else, so it would make made more sense to move the other 2 Katz networks to them once the contracts with the other stations expire. No sense moving networks currently seen in Cleveland to a station some 20 miles in Akron and having to go through the non-sense of constantly adjusting your antenna. For me, that means turning my outdoor antenna about 90 degrees counter-clockwise if I want stable reception of WVPX/WDLI, which I'm not going to do.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
They're not staying on WEWS. Every single press release and FCC filing Scripps made about the deal specifically mentioned that the Katz networks will be moving to the Ion stations, including the Ion stations that were spunoff to INYO. If Scripps intended to keep the Katz networks on their non-Ion stations, they wouldn't have included carriage of them on the INYO stations since those are mostly in markets where Scripps already owns stations.

Since Scripps owns WEWS, those 3 can leave for WVPX/WDLI right away. Mystery is affiliated with Univision's WQHS, that deal doesn't expire until 2024. Bounce is affiliated with Grey's WUAB, that deal's expiring on 12/31/22.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
They're not staying on WEWS. Every single press release and FCC filing Scripps made about the deal specifically mentioned that the Katz networks will be moving to the Ion stations, including the Ion stations that were spunoff to INYO. If Scripps intended to keep the Katz networks on their non-Ion stations, they wouldn't have included carriage of them on the INYO stations since those are mostly in markets where Scripps already owns stations.
Then INYO needs to find a way to move the WVPX/WDLI transmitter closer to the Parma tower farm, even if it involves greatly altering the pattern to prevent interference to other stations. There will be a lot of unhappy viewers in the Cleveland area and along Lake Erie who will lose these networks because they have issues with or can't receive WVPX.

And I thought the whole purpose of E.W. Scripps buying ION was to place some of the Katz networks there, particularly ones carried on 3rd party stations so that they didn't have to pay those stations to carry those networks. Are you saying that E.W. Scripps has to pay their own stations and with INYO they don't? That doesn't make sense...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Then INYO needs to find a way to move the WVPX/WDLI transmitter closer to the Parma tower farm, even if it involves greatly altering the pattern to prevent interference to other stations. There will be a lot of unhappy viewers in the Cleveland area and along Lake Erie who will lose these networks because they have issues with or can't receive WVPX.

And I thought the whole purpose of E.W. Scripps buying ION was to place some of the Katz networks there, particularly ones carried on 3rd party stations so that they didn't have to pay those stations to carry those networks. Are you saying that E.W. Scripps has to pay their own stations and with INYO they don't? That doesn't make sense...
Yeah, I get the feeling Ion just wanted to buy one lucrative network, dump the side brands, and just put their own networks together with said lucrative network for the sake of "brand consistency". The more I seen, the more angry and/or confused this whole deal makes me.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The plan is to eventually move all of the Katz networks to Ion stations.

The filings and releases also mentioned it will help with future ATSC 3.0 launches. Part of the conversion to ATSC 3.0 requires all of your stations to be made available in ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years. Freeing up space on WEWS means they could be the host station for some of those ATSC 1.0 simulcasts when Cleveland's stations are ready to launch ATSC 3.0 this fall. i.e. if Tegna's WKYC becomes the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse, WEWS's RF 15 signal could carry ATSC 1.0 versions of NBC HD and some of WKYC's subchannels in exchange for WEWS getting a NextGen simulcast on WKYC's RF 19 signal. Or WEWS could be the ATSC 3.0 Lighthouse and now they only have to worry about finding an ATSC 1.0 home for ABC.

As for a better signal, the big reason for many of the tower changes involving Ion stations during the repack was a fallout between Ion and American Tower. Now that Scripps and Inyo own those stations, and the FCC's freeze on modifications has been lifted, maybe down the road they'll file to move to better towers.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The plan is to move all of the Katz stations to Ion signals.

Doing this frees up bandwidth on WEWS and other Scripps stations to help with future ATSC 3.0 launches. Part of the conversion to ATSC 3.0 requires all of your stations to be made available in ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years. Freeing up space on WEWS means they could be the host station for some of those ATSC 1.0 simulcasts when Cleveland's stations are ready to launch ATSC 3.0, or WEWS could be the station and now they only have to worry about finding an ATSC 1.0 home for their main ABC station. i.e. if Tegna's WKYC's RF 19 signal becomes the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse, WEWS RF 15 signal could carry ATSC 1.0 versions of NBC HD and some of WKYC's subchannels in exchange for WEWS getting a NextGen simulcast on WKYC.
So are you basically confirming that WEWS will become the ATSC 3.0 station for Cleveland? Even though there hasn't been any official announcement yet?

That may actually be a good thing... With no subs to dump on other stations to further degrade their picture quality, all they'd have to do is find someone to just carry their main channel...And that could just be WKYC, or WJW if they ever upgrade their Fox O&O era encoders. But then what will WEWS pick up for subchannels once everybody converts to ATSC 3.0? I'm sure they can't ask for all their Katz networks back, so WVPX will be stuck with them indefinitely?

I still think this Ion thing with the Katz networks is dumb. It may work in other markets where the transmitters are located in the same general area, but not here. Heck, moving them to one of our LP stations (W27EA-D, WLFM-LD or WRAP-LD*) or even simulcasting them there would have been better. Moving WVPX to the Parma tower farm, which I'm sure isn't going to happen, could work out as well, but they would have to null the signal more towards the west & northwest to avoid interfering with WGTE and WDWO-CD, and aim more towards the south to regain coverage in the Canton area. (Allocation map for RF 22)

*WRAP-LD not yet on the air - pending sale

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nexstar, Scripps, Tegna and Univision are the big proponents of ATSC 3.0. So the lighthouse for Cleveland will likely be one of their stations. I was just using WKYC as an example of what could be done. Although since one of the things they want to push is mobile reception, I doubt they'll use any of the VHF stations, so that likely leaves out Nexstar's WJW as a potential lighthouse.

5 years is just the minimum. They won't be switching to standalone ATSC 3.0 operations until tuner penetration is high enough that stations can cease ATSC 1.0 operations without upsetting their advertisers and networks. But considering that there's no plans for consumer coupons for free converters, or any mandate for manufacturers to include ATSC 3.0 tuners in all TVs sold in the USA like there was in 2009, the chances of any DMA reaching that threshold within 5 years is slim.

By the time ATSC 3.0 tuner penetration is high enough and they switch to standalone ATSC 3.0 signals, they'll probably use most of that bandwidth for 4K (or even 8K), and maybe use a portion of their ATSC 3.0 signal for a SD simulcast for in motion reception on mobile devices with built in antennas and backseats of cars. (ATSC 3.0 signals can be divided up into seperate PLPs with different modulation schemes, so at the same time you're delivering something that's low bandwidth but can be received under unstable conditions for mobile/in motion viewing on one PLP, you can deliver something with higher bandwidth for stationary reception on another PLP)

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Folks, this is all speculation to a certain degree. In the past, I've found that the people who write press releases and the people who make detailed decisions on individual markets are not the same people and may not necessarily be on the same page. Not to say it's bad information, but that getting animated at this point about who's going to be an ATSC 3.0 lighthouse or which network is moving where seems premature.

For RabbitEars, I'm taking the position that unless a station-specific announcement is made, I'll believe it when I see it. That said, I do expect that at least one of WEWS's networks, my guess being Court TV, will land on WDLI for must-carry purposes.

- Trip

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
For RabbitEars, I'm taking the position that unless a station-specific announcement is made, I'll believe it when I see it. That said, I do expect that at least one of WEWS's networks, my guess being Court TV, will land on WDLI for must-carry purposes.

- Trip
And I'm sure that WEWS would want Bounce once it leaves WUAB as it is one of the more popular diginets out there. Kind of interesting that they haven't already moved Bounce to WEWS since the Katz networks were acquired by Scripps, but I guess their contract with WUAB was recently renewed around that time. However, assuming that WUAB keeps renewing a three year contract with Bounce, it would have already been renewed as the network was picked up on January 3, 2012.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I still think this Ion thing with the Katz networks is dumb. It may work in other markets where the transmitters are located in the same general area, but not here. Heck, moving them to one of our LP stations (W27EA-D, WLFM-LD or WRAP-LD*) or even simulcasting them there would have been better. Moving WVPX to the Parma tower farm, which I'm sure isn't going to happen, could work out as well, but they would have to null the signal more towards the west & northwest to avoid interfering with WGTE and WDWO-CD, and aim more towards the south to regain coverage in the Canton area. (Allocation map for RF 22)

*WRAP-LD not yet on the air - pending sale
I'm not sure about moving the tower to Parma, but perhaps they could move it to a location a bit to the north such as Montrose or Richfield which would provide better coverage for the Cleveland metro area while still adequately covering Akron and Canton.

15801 - 15820 of 15847 Posts