AVS Forum banner

15961 - 15980 of 16070 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's interesting... WOHZ-CD could very well become another repeater for WOIO/WUAB, seeing that W18ES-D overlaps and creates co-channel interference with their Akron repeater in that area. The new coverage and location for WOHZ-CD also cuts down on co-interference to WLFM-LD, and they already have a null in that direction. It's still interesting as to why Gray decided to ditch most of WOHZ's current coverage area, but by moving the antenna, re-pattering the signal and reducing power to maintain within the northeast Ohio viewing area definitely tells me that it will be another WOIO/WUAB repeater.

WOIO, WOIO Akron repeater & WOHZ-CD modification coverage

WOHZ-CD, WOHZ-CD modification & WLFM-LD coverage
How bad is the co-channel interference there? perhaps WOIO should consider chopping off their ERP on RF 10 if they are less inclined to serve the outlaying areas

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not going to happen, VHF stations want as much ERP as they can get to help overcome the ambient noise floor issues that even affect people in the "green" zones. It's why they now have a construction permit to increase their power from 9.5 kW to 20 kW.

Those outer areas that can get it are just a bonus that comes with VHF propagation, their main reason for the increase is to help people in the core of their viewing area so they no longer lose the signal anytime someone turns on a vacuum cleaner or their neighbor's cheap poorly shielded LED patio lights turn on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone measured the ambient noise floor in Cuyahoga county? I know that in some underserved urban communities the power line transformers and telcom equipment can be so badly maintained that an entire block can be rendered devoid of am radio signals and often this goes to VHF. In more affluent areas their is not much respite as it is easy and often cheap enough to get any electronics that can sweep all the way to 88 MHz although it is worse if you have high end equipment like electric guitars, complete smart homes and the like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not going to happen, VHF stations want as much ERP as they can get to help overcome the ambient noise floor issues that even affect people in the "green" zones. It's why they now have a construction permit to increase their power from 9.5 kW to 20 kW.

Those outer areas that can get it are just a bonus that comes with VHF propagation, their main reason for the increase is to help people in the core of their viewing area so they no longer lose the signal anytime someone turns on a vacuum cleaner or their neighbor's cheap poorly shielded LED patio lights turn on.
How did Canada agree to that?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Canada's regulatory body must have approved it too, since the FCC granted their CP. It took almost 3 years for them to get it granted though, it was first filed on 11/28/2017 and it wasn't granted until 2/4/2020.

The protected contours of CFPL and WOIO will touch in the middle of Lake Erie, and any slight atmospheric boost likely already causes issues near the shore, but the thing is outside of CTV and CTV2, most of London's OTA TV comes from low power repeaters of Toronto stations while CBC has no OTA presence at all in London, so most people in those affected areas of Canada already rely on satellite or cable for TV.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
How bad is the co-channel interference there? perhaps WOIO should consider chopping off their ERP on RF 10 if they are less inclined to serve the outlaying areas
WOIO's Akron repeater was originally on RF 24 with a non-directional signal at 11 kW. The repack forced them over to RF 18, which had to include a null towards the west for W13ES-D protection. At first, there wasn't much of a problem because they signed on a few months before W18ES-D moved over to RF 18. Because there is significant overlap of the two stations, viewers in that area lost the repeater due to interference. (I believe user @CleCakYngMfd is affected by this). WOHZ-CD will help, but it appears that it will provide limited coverage due to WLFM-LD being towards the north and the fact that the transmitter has to fall within WOIO's RF 10 coverage area, hence the reason why they had to relocate and greatly re-pattern/reduce WOHZ's coverage. Seeing that WOHZ-CD likely won't be a digital replacement translator like WOIO's RF 18, I can expect to see WOHZ-CD (or whatever the calls will be, perhaps randomly assigned) be part of their legal ID's.

WOIO does have a construction permit to improve their RF10 broadcast by increasing power to 20 kW and removing the southern nulls, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement that would yield in their fringe areas. VHF broadcasts are harder to receive in fringe areas due to interference from electrical sources, and usually require monster outdoor antennas in order to grab enough signal for reliable reception. Also, part of the reason for their Akron repeater was harmonic interference from an Akron radio station (WONE 95.7 FM, which ironically is also on the same tower) which created issues for Akron/Canton viewers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOIO's Akron repeater was originally on RF 24 with a non-directional signal at 11 kW. The repack forced them over to RF 18, which had to include a null towards the west for W13ES-D protection. At first, there wasn't much of a problem because they signed on a few months before W18ES-D moved over to RF 18. Because there is significant overlap of the two stations, viewers in that area lost the repeater due to interference. (I believe user @CleCakYngMfd is affected by this). WOHZ-CD will help, but it appears that it will provide limited coverage due to WLFM-LD being towards the north and the fact that the transmitter has to fall within WOIO's RF 10 coverage area, hence the reason why they had to relocate and greatly re-pattern/reduce WOHZ's coverage. Seeing that WOHZ-CD likely won't be a digital replacement translator like WOIO's RF 18, I can expect to see WOHZ-CD (or whatever the calls will be, perhaps randomly assigned) be part of their legal ID's.

WOIO does have a construction permit to improve their RF10 broadcast by increasing power to 20 kW and removing the southern nulls, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement that would yield in their fringe areas. VHF broadcasts are harder to receive in fringe areas due to interference from electrical sources, and usually require monster outdoor antennas in order to grab enough signal for reliable reception. Also, part of the reason for their Akron repeater was harmonic interference from an Akron radio station (WONE 95.7 FM, which ironically is also on the same tower) which created issues for Akron/Canton viewers.
The southwest of the viewing area is rural. Rural areas are much quieter. In southwest Wayne county I could hear WLW and it was almost nice to listen to. In parts of Wadsworth it was not that pleasant.. Wooster so-so. .Nevertheless, I did find a power transformer on route 95 in Wayne county that had broadband noise on AM. I like to think that would not extend to high VHF but the transformer looked downtrodden so I am not betting on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Indeed looking at rabbitears the fringe areas look better but not as drastically. I think the hills do no favors making all the signals two edge or worse. Even in Rittman at 15 feet in my place WKYC is rated tropo. . In 2008, I was a few miles east of Lodi and using a portable tv with a monopole. I could get not trace of WMFD despite being just a few miles out of fcc map contour. In southwestern wayne county, I could get WVIZ in the car by putting an the end of the coax of an external antenna on the broken monopole port but it was statically and I could only hear it. This was in analog.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The southwest of the viewing area is rural. Rural areas are much quieter. In southwest Wayne county I could hear WLW and it was almost nice to listen to. In parts of Wadsworth it was not that pleasant.. Wooster so-so. .Nevertheless, I did find a power transformer on route 95 in Wayne county that had broadband noise on AM. I like to think that would not extend to high VHF but the transformer looked downtrodden so I am not betting on it.
I can receive WLW during the day in the parking lot of the Twinsburg Giant Eagle. It's faint, but mostly free of interference. I just use the car radio, though the engine has to be off as well as other accessories. I may have picked them up at home on a boombox, but that may have likely been at night.

Like most people, I have upgraded my incandescent lights to LED's, replaced my wireless router several times and used several USB chargers. I must be lucky as none of these devices have degraded my reception of AM and VHF broadcasts, that is, as long as they are at least a few feet away from the receiving antenna. I had a TV/VCR combo years ago that splattered interference on AM at several feet away, even when off, and CRT monitors that introduced high pitched frequencies at certain resolutions and/or refresh rates. At least LCD monitors have been much kinder to weaker AM stations. Not to mention older, poorly shielded light dimmers that all had to be replaced to cut out the majority of interference when they were in use. I also have an old eMachines computer that would wipe out my reception of WHOF 101.7 when the cover for the case was removed, so that pretty much acted as a RF shield.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Forgot to post this, but here are the coverage maps for WOIO's Akron repeater, W18ES-D and the modified WOHZ-CD facility. WOHZ-CD would help for those in the Wooster area where the WOIO repeater and W18ES-D overlap. Those north of it and in or near the overlap would have to rely on WOIO's full power broadcast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was planning on getting the Zapperbox, at least until a local station here starts broadcasting in 3.0. $249 dollars was a bit more than what I was willing to spend, but now the price went up $80 dollars. $329 is way too much for it now, so until the price goes down or more manufacturers start producing ATSC 3.0 boxes at lower prices, I guess I'm going to wait.

Thanks never heard of this box. I agree $329 is to much. TV's mfrs do not have to add 3.0 tuners to their new models, so supply/demand will probably keep the prices up.
I just checked the NextGen TV site and still shows Fall 2021 for Cle/Akron market.
Has anyone heard any rumors or agreements/discusssion? Will the Ch 8 test equipment work or are they on a newer generation? If not how are they are going to make a fall time frame with equipment, antenna purchases???
k

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Many of the HC2 stations have blank screens this afternoon with some coming in quite pixellated so yet another issue from them. However, the QVC channel as well as Stadium and Clic were unaffected.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
According to Titan TV, it looks like Twist will be launching on April 5 at 6 AM. Also, I just checked my TV and WKYC 3.5 is now activated with a Twist "test signal".

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Just rescanned and 3.5 active with massive twist logo over the programming.
Yes, it's probably a soft launch while the network and affiliates set things up. Looks like WKYC isn't suppose to be airing what is currently being seen, and is probably intended for internal use. I suspect a promo reel will be running soon until the official launch, which would probably be when most affiliates will begin their carriage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, it's probably a soft launch while the network and affiliates set things up. Looks like WKYC isn't suppose to be airing what is currently being seen, and is probably intended for internal use. I suspect a promo reel will be running soon until the official launch, which would probably be when most affiliates will begin their carriage.
Snowdog 88
Checked this morning, and sure enough running promo!!!
k

·
Registered
61 Posts
After rescan lost 8,19,43. I had both stations the night before. Checked antenna, made adjustment nothing. Fired up TIVO, off same antennna, and both stations there. Signal is low on TIVO, very strange. My guess ROKU updated software and now issue, the screen is white now....Did anyone ever see this issue???
k

15961 - 15980 of 16070 Posts