4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the following 2.0 setup:

Speakers: Jamo C93
Receiver: Denon X1600H
Turntable: Rega Planar 1
TV: Samsung 55NU8000

Watching a TV series episode, I noticed a strange clicking noise whilst very low frequencies. For TV, I'm using ARC, with the volume between 40-55 (Scale 0-99 or -40 to -25dB) with a source level of +4.5 dB. While both speakers show those vibrations, only the right one is making that much noise. I have a sample video, but cannot post it due to new user post restrictions.

Also, I don't know if this is related but, when playing specific vinyl records, the woofers go a little bit crazy vibrations-wise.

Is this a damaged driver issue? Is the driver bottoming out when it shouldn't be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Your speakers are telling you that you need a subwoofer.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your speakers are telling you that you need a subwoofer.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm already looking into buying a SW. Is there anything frequency-wise that I need to consider? (given Jamo's reach)
Do you think it is normal that one driver behaves differently (more noise)?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You may have a defective speaker. Try swapping the speakers, to see if the issue follows it. Ensure that the speaker wire isn't shorting out at the AVR or the speakers' terminals. If the issue doesn't follow the speaker, it could be the AVR or wire.
When you connect your sub, run Audyssey and review the settings. Your speakers should be set to "small" and I suggest a crossover of 80Hz to start. If Audyssey gives you a higher crossover, then go with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have a defective speaker. Try swapping the speakers, to see if the issue follows it. Ensure that the speaker wire isn't shorting out at the AVR or the speakers' terminals. If the issue doesn't follow the speaker, it could be the AVR or wire.
When you connect your sub, run Audyssey and review the settings. Your speakers should be set to "small" and I suggest a crossover of 80Hz to start. If Audyssey gives you a higher crossover, then go with that.
The issue seems to follow the speaker. That is, both speakers seem to be bottoming, but only one seems to make a stronger/audible clicking noise. When listening to bassy music/those frequency tests down to 20Hz, the speakers won't bottom out, and no noise is produced.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Your speakers are simply not capable of playing frequencies that low. Sounds like you have a damaged speaker, I hope it can be replaced under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts