AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, the hard drive in my 3030 started to make a loud clicking sound after the maching had been on for an hour or two. while the clicking was going on, the system would not power down unless I pulled the electrical cord out. The tech folks at Replaytv suggested I do the reset using 777 zones, but the problem still occured.

Thinking it was the hard drive and since it was out of warranty, I opted to swap out the hard drive with a Maxtor 60gig drive. The swap went very smoothly and was able to get the unit up and running and connected to the Replaytv network. However, later that night, the hard drive started making the exact same noise that the previous hard drive had made.

My next thought was that it was a heat issue, so I remove the cover of the Replaytv box and ran the unit in a cool room. Still, after a few hours I would get the same hard drive clicking sound.

It seems to me that it must be some sort of motherboard/ internal hardware issue not releted to the hard drive.

Suggestions? I have seen that this has happened to at least one other person in this forum, but there were no adequate resolutions posted for it. Replaytv customer service will no longer work on my machine because I have opened the box, but are there other repair services out there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Snowden

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You didn't say if the replay with the new drive malfunctioned or just made the load clicking noise. Load clicking is not so unusual when recording and watching a previously recorded show at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikeyboy,

The 60gig drive seems to work just fine. The loud clicking sound sounds like the same click sound the hard drive makes when it is shutting down and starts to spin down, except it makes this sound about once a second for an indefinite amount of time. Also, the clicking noises occur spontaneously whether the Replaytv box is in use or not.

I am not sure what the "load" clicking noise is that you are refering to.

Thanks anyway.

Snowden

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I was typing loud but it came out load, sorry.

Yes the clicking you describe is odd. Sounds like something is wrong. The original drive was it a Quantum? When I had the Quantum in my showstopper it was relatively quiet until I played a previously recorded show and recorded something at the same time. The drive kept making a clicking sound as it was obviously working hard to keep up with the reading and writing. For what its worth the Maxtor can be quieted by turning AMSET on (acoustic management). It is done with a utility from Maxtor called AMSET.EXE. My 80 gig Maxtor acoustic management is on and works fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.