AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those Sony XBR 9 owners,

My 46 xbr 9 makes a clicking noise every 5 to 10 minutes when it is off.

Should i be concern?

I bought it as a open box this past weekend from BB so now i'm thinking of returning it.

thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino182 /forum/post/18270581

Question for those Sony XBR 9 owners,

My 46 xbr 9 makes a clicking noise every 5 to 10 minutes when it is off.

Should i be concern?

I bought it as a open box this past weekend from BB so now i'm thinking of returning it.

thanks in advance!!!

I just picked up an 52XBR9 (new) a couple weeks ago and I've noticed this happening. The main XBR thread seems to come to the consensus that this is thermal expansion/contraction and/or a relay that clicks when the TV goes to download a new TV Guide. I don't use OTA signals and TVGuide is disabled, and I've never had these "thermal expansion/contraction" sounds with any other LCD I've owned, while this TV does get pretty warm. I also hear this clicking when I'm playing Xbox or PS3 once every 5-10 minutes as well. Pretty aggravating and I'll be exchanging the TV for something else if Sony doesn't have an answer when I give them a call.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, it is the tv guide causing the clicking sound. Make sure to turn off the guide. I have an xbr6 and had to re-run OTA setup and put 00000 as zip code to turn guide off. You might have to play around with setup a bit because I cannot remember the detailed instructions to turn guide off, but entering 00000 is the most important step. After, make sure to hit guide button to check to see it is disabled. Mine does not click anymore after disabling the guide.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd05 /forum/post/18271076

Yes, it is the tv guide causing the clicking sound. Make sure to turn off the guide. I have an xbr6 and had to re-run OTA setup and put 00000 as zip code to turn guide off. You might have to play around with setup a bit because I cannot remember the detailed instructions to turn guide off, but entering 00000 is the most important step. After, make sure to hit guide button to check to see it is disabled. Mine does not click anymore after disabling the guide.

Thanks for the tip - forgot about trying the reset but if the method in the main thread doesn't work I'll try calling Sony support and getting them to walk me through it. Hopefully they can come with a firmware update that will make this easier to control.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I use the TVGOS setup on 2 of my Sony DVRs at home and think that this is a great feature to have, but having it check for new data every 10-15 minutes is kinda overkill. As I have had some issues with the TVGOS I seem to remember that the updates are not that frequent and can be set to update in the middle of the night on my DVRs.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd05 /forum/post/18271076

This did not work for me with a 46XBR9. I set Program Guide to "Broadcast" (there are only two options, "TV Guide" and "Broadcast"). I set zip code to 00000. I turned off OTA receiver. I also skipped LAN setup. I hit the guide button and the TV says the guide is disabled. Still the TV clicks every 3-10 min when off. It is extremely irritating.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catware /forum/post/18389527

This did not work for me with a 46XBR9. I set Program Guide to "Broadcast" (there are only two options, "TV Guide" and "Broadcast"). I set zip code to 00000. I turned off OTA receiver. I also skipped LAN setup. I hit the guide button and the TV says the guide is disabled. Still the TV clicks every 3-10 min when off. It is extremely irritating.

Mine clicks the same whether the TV is using the internet or not, whether my zip is set or not, whether I've done a full reset or not. I'm not noticing the clicking as much lately, but when it happens it's quite annoying. Plan on getting it serviced once I'm moved into my new apartment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a question for all of you. Is your television hooked up to your home network? Is it set up for internet connection?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18439678

I have a question for all of you. Is your television hooked up to your home network? Is it set up for internet connection?

Yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same issues as well... tried entering 00000 for the zip code and deactivating the TV Guide... I have never heard the clicking while the TV is on (knock on wood) but hearing that clicking every few minutes while the TV is off is SUPER annoying.

The back of the user manual talks about how much power is used in different states, etc, and mentions that the clicks while the TV guide is updating is normal. Is there a way to truly deactivate it? I'm surprised that there's nothing definitive about this issue online, or not at least any that I've been able to find.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikujirobill /forum/post/18444497

I am having the same issues as well... tried entering 00000 for the zip code and deactivating the TV Guide... I have never heard the clicking while the TV is on (knock on wood) but hearing that clicking every few minutes while the TV is off is SUPER annoying.

The back of the user manual talks about how much power is used in different states, etc, and mentions that the clicks while the TV guide is updating is normal. Is there a way to truly deactivate it? I'm surprised that there's nothing definitive about this issue online, or not at least any that I've been able to find.

I think I fixed mine, haven't heard it in a while. I used the factory reset, I guess I was mistaken of what that actually was. I thought if you just did the initial setup it would reset everything. But really it is when you hold the up button the remote and then press the power button on the tv while it is on. Seemed to work for me. And then setting zip to 00000 and disabling the guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to try that.

Today I simply unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, and now the TV doesn't even make the clicking while turning on... hopefully it's fixed itself. If not, I'll try your remote factory reset.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is still important for all of you to tell us if you have an internet connection. It will help determine the reason why the television keeps turning on in the "active with no display" mode.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18445147

It is still important for all of you to tell us if you have an internet connection. It will help determine the reason why the television keeps turning on in the "active with no display" mode.

Oh, I forgot to plug the ethernet back in. I will do that and get back to you if it keeps clicking. I haven't heard a click in quite a while now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my XBR9 randomly shut off last night while watching Netflix streaming, and now the clicking is back.

I tried to do the factory reset, but it didn't work. Do you mean to press the up button on the remote and press the off button on the TV itself, or the off button on the remote?

I'd like to get this clicking thing sorted once and for all... if it's something I have to live with, then so be it, but if it's fixable, that'd be great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ahhh I performed the factory reset by pressing up on the remote and turning off the TV itself with the button on the side, and programming 00000 as the zip, not activating the TV guide, and skipping the ethernet set up. The TV's been off for almost 30 mins, and no clicking! Huzzah! I'll give it a day or two, and then I'll configure the internet so I can get Netflix back on there, and see if the clicking is still absent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts