AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4490 Posts

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr /forum/post/0

I also run QAM on Inp2 and OTA on Inp1. I can not reproduce the problem you are describing. Any guesses Terry?

Same here...I can switch from Ant1 to Ant2 and back using either the remote or the keyboard and I see no anomalies. Lexington, you'll have to provide more details of your recipe for this observation.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson /forum/post/0

Same here...I can switch from Ant1 to Ant2 and back using either the remote or the keyboard and I see no anomalies. Lexington, you'll have to provide more details of your recipe for this observation.

I did some experimenting to figure this out. I reinstalled MyHD. This didn't fix the problem, when using the new version of MyHD. Again the old version (1.66u unmodified) didn't have this problem.

But I figured something out from tinkering. I am using full time shift and that seems to be related to the problem, because when I took this off, the problem went away when switching inputs. Timeshift on demand didn't have this problem, until I started to recording.

Let me know if you see this problem using full timeshift.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinlexky2 /forum/post/0

Let me know if you see this problem using full timeshift.

Yes. I CAN reproduce it with timeshift on demand enabled.

I tried the original MyHD and it functioned properly. Thanks for the find.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Terry,

I this "replacement" MyHD.exe file being built by "The Team" or is it a special build that you get from MIT?

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cris, the MyHD.exe supplied in the beta package is a "test version" from MIT, used with their permission.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
AllenDB, HdtvinCR, Mntneer, Sengsational, Sterno3, and TPeterson

Congrats to you guys and thank you from the bottom of my heart! I followed your directions, got everything up and running in a few minutes, and saw my first recording kick in, you guys did a great job! I second jimwhite's sentiment, I wish Cliff was around to see this happen, he would have been like a kid in a candy store. I can't thank you guys enough, but I'm trying.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hate being the only (or at least first) one to report a problem but ....

I have been running MyHDAuto for a few weeks now (cue Max Smart) and loving it. Since MyHDAuto has been working so well I felt a little trepidation in messing with a working system, but decided that having a populated EPG was worth it. So I first downloaded CW_EPG to a computer without the MyHD card and ran the program to see how things looked.

CW_EPG started up fine and looked virtually identical to MyHDAuto so I decided to give it a shot on my HTPC. I decided the easiest way to implement CW_EPG would be to place it in the folder with MyHDAuto. I made the appropriate name change for MyHD.exe and copied the new version of MyHD.exe to the MyHD folder. Now I was ready to rock!

I started CW_EPG and immediately got this error message:

Quote:
Access violation at address 004F77ED in module 'CW_EPG.exe'. Read of address 000002F4.

When I click OK in the error dialog box, everything runs fine. The program correctly reads my record schedule, correctly sets up records, and correctly populates the EPG which I can then view when I run the new version of MyHD.exe.

I figured I could live with one extra mouse click since everything worked after dismissing the error dialog box. So then I tried modifying my batchfile to use CW_EPG in the auto mode and found that the error dialog box must still be dismissed before it will continue in auto mode.

I tried unzipping CW_EPG into an empty folder and had the same problem there. My computer is running WinXP SP2 on an Athlon processor.

So, until I/we can get this sorted out, I am back to using MyHDAuto which appears to happily coexist with CW_EPG.

Is it possible that

·
Registered
69 Posts
As I was trying to figure out what was causing the problem referred to in the preceding post, I noted a couple of things that I thought I would make as suggestions:

1. An option to clear the program schedule before scheduling the new programs. CW_EPG was reporting a conflict so a show was not scheduled. Looking at the schedule, I couldn't find a conflict. Thus I started thinking that CW_EPG wasn't working properly. Upon further investigation, the conflict was with the show that "was not scheduled." Since I never schedule records from the MyHD application (haven't had a good reason to do so up until the advent of CW_EPG) I would choose to erase all scheduled programs and then repopulate the scheduled records. Others who may set up records using the new EPG listings would choose to not erase. The only reason for this to potentially be an issue would be for a change in schedule on the day of airing, but I would like to be covered in such a case.

2. Zap2It allows you to have multiple lineups. In my case I have one for DISH Satellite Programming and one for the antenna. The program that was used in conjunction with MyHDAuto allowed you to choose which lineup to download (although based on time, I believe it downloaded both lineups but only saved one). CW_EPG uses all lineups by default. This caused VERY slow operation until I figured out that I had an extra couple hundred channels that CW_EPG was trying to manage. It would be helpful if CW_EPG allowed us to choose which lineup to use.

Despite my problem and suggestions, I view this as a VERY positive step for MyHD. With the suggested eventual inclusion of Allen's Playlist Manager, this will only get better! I also appreciated the inclusion of the post by Kei about Cliff. I had missed the post about Cliff's demise.

Sarc

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma /forum/post/0

I decided the easiest way to implement CW_EPG would be to place it in the folder with MyHDAuto. I made the appropriate name change for MyHD.exe and copied the new version of MyHD.exe to the MyHD folder. Now I was ready to rock!

I started CW_EPG and immediately got this error message:

The ONLY file from MyHDAuto that is compatible with CW_EPG is the "Watchlist.csv" file. Using the "ch_maps.txt" from MyHDAuto will cause you problems, so unfortunately you have to delete it and re-map.

Are you using the "-640" command line switch???

The only known problem I've had was using this switch. The first time would cause an error, but then it is fine after that initial acknowledgement.

Quote:
2. Zap2It allows you to have multiple lineups. In my case I have one for DISH Satellite Programming and one for the antenna. The program that was used in conjunction with MyHDAuto allowed you to choose which lineup to download (although based on time, I believe it downloaded both lineups but only saved one). CW_EPG uses all lineups by default. This caused VERY slow operation until I figured out that I had an extra couple hundred channels that CW_EPG was trying to manage. It would be helpful if CW_EPG allowed us to choose which lineup to use.

CW_EPG processes ALL channels that you defined in your Zap2It! setup. That is why there is this warning in the Readme file:

"NOTE: The more channels you select, the longer it will take to process the guide data. It is HIGHLY recommended to select only the channels that you actually wish to record for display in MyHDs' OSD EPG."

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma /forum/post/0

1. An option to clear the program schedule before scheduling the new programs.

You have confused me. What do you mean by clearing the "program schedule"? The recordings that are already scheduled?

Quote:
Upon further investigation, the conflict was with the show that "was not scheduled."

Again, help me out here. This is a new problem if I understand you correctly. You're saying that a program was not scheduled because of a conflict that didn't exist? Or, it actually did exist but you didn't realize it, thus you are asking for the option to clear them out first?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:

CW_EPG processes ALL channels that you defined in your Zap2It! setup. That is why there is this warning in the Readme file:

"NOTE: The more channels you select, the longer it will take to process the guide data. It is HIGHLY recommended to select only the channels that you actually wish to record for display in MyHDs' OSD EPG."

Question on above from a lazy member - (who has MyHDAuto set up and working fine for the last couple months)

I get around 80 clear QAM channels and to address the downloading issue only have 10-12 in my Zap2it setup

I am thinking that the principal advantage of the Cliff Watson Electronic Program Guide for me would be to populate the OSG data - but if there is an operational limit to the data; and I get a lot of the DTV data via PSIP for the selected channels set up in MyHDAuto already, seems like there is no real benefit.

Ideally I would like to input the 30-40 channels I may actually watch (I could watch a lot more than I would be interested in recording). Is this really feasible or should I just stay with a great working MyHDAuto setup?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Version 0.9.1.1 is now posted on the website . It corrects the following bugs:

- Access Violation error when running in 640X480 Mode

- Some MyHD OSD 10 day EPG entries were not being written

- Added "-120dpi" command line switch for those 120DPI users.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch /forum/post/0

I get around 80 clear QAM channels and to address the downloading issue only have 10-12 in my Zap2it setup

I am thinking that the principal advantage of the Cliff Watson Electronic Program Guide for me would be to populate the OSG data - but if there is an operational limit to the data; and I get a lot of the DTV data via PSIP for the selected channels set up in MyHDAuto already, seems like there is no real benefit.

Ideally I would like to input the 30-40 channels I may actually watch (I could watch a lot more than I would be interested in recording). Is this really feasible or should I just stay with a great working MyHDAuto setup?

Ralph - There are a few bugs from MyHDauto that have been corrected in CW_EPG. Mostly minor, but there was a couple of scheduling bugs that could be critical.

Secondly, everyone has their own opinion as to what is too slow and what is not. I only receive about a dozen channels and have cable high speed internet so it takes little time to D/L & process. Sterno is getting around 50-55 channels IIRC and has told me that his pprocess takes a couple of minutes or so. I don't think that is too bad considering the amount of data being processed.

Eventually I would like to add the option of allowing EPG processing without scheduling. Other things to do right now though.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:

Version 0.9.1.1 is now posted on the website . It corrects the following bugs:

- Access Violation error when running in 640X480 Mode

- Some MyHD OSD 10 day EPG entries were not being written

- Added "-120dpi" command line switch for those 120DPI users.

My screen resolution is 896 x 504 which is close to 480 vertical scan lines (the TV views it as a wide screen 480p output) but no where near 640 wide so I never thought of trying the -640 option. But at any rate, the 0.9.1.1 version got rid of the error so I'm happy!

Thanks for the quick turn around time!

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sarc--

Try the 0.9.1.1 update for a fix to your Access Violation error. {I see that you did before I posted--CW_EPG was detecting that you needed the 640 option, so you don't need to use the command-line switch} I thought that there already was a command switch for clearing all scheduled captures...but it seems not to be in the ReadMe, so maybe my memory's AWOL again. Good idea but dangerous, IMO. We'll have to think that one through. We may want to have CW_EPG keep track of which captures it scheduled and selectively clear those to allow for edits to start/stop times etc.

To deal with the different lineups, I suggest that you establish multiple Zap2It accounts so that you can let CW_EPG have its very own. {Ralph, I think that this addresses your question too}

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wrote a long message to try to clarify what I wrote the first time (I meant to clear the "recording schedule" when I wrote "program schedule"--an incorrect term on my part). I then promptly closed my browser without hitting submit. But it is not a great loss! From reading Terry's response, I need go no further because he succinctly covered all of the topics I was trying to bring up.

And the appropriate answer to my signature question would, at least for today, be, "NO!" I'll try to make more sense in the future.

Sarc

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
[Caveat: This post is an example of grasping at straws, beating a dead horse, and just plain crazy, but I'll throw the idea out anyway.]

I haven't tried this yet, so I know nothing about it other than reading what's been written here. But it makes me wonder if this could be modified to effectively do what was one of Cliff's least favorite topics: Effectively create a quasi MyHD BDA functionality?

What I mean by that is this. Presumably MCE, SageTV, etc. all have some data stored somewhere which indicates what the recording conflicts are present. If this program could be modified to periodically obtain that data, and then record such conflicts with the MyHD program, you'd effectively create a system where MyHD would work with MCE and SageTV. I'd suspect this would require at least one BDA tuner for MCE or Sage to work with, and/or perhaps even a way of telling this program how many BDA tuners there were. But the idea is basically to capture the conflict information to record programs with MyHD, rather than the method that's been used with this program.

[Okay--flame away or just let me know I'm crazy, that it's too hard, etc.]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Amazing stuff, guys! This is a huge step forward for MyHD. It's got me to stop thinking about MyHD/Sage integration (and there was much cheering).

I especially like the About tab. I miss Cliff.

And now for for the obligatory suggestions.

Re: the clearing of scheduled recordings before scheduling thing: If you kept track of what was scheduled by CW_EPG and checked those against the latest xmltv data, to see if the time/channels are still the same, you could delete only the ones that changed. For extra credit, change the schedule to match the new data. Oh, wait, this is essentially what Terry said. So consider this a vote for doing that!

Scheduling farther out than 26 hours: I know we went over this a bit in MyHDAuto, but I still like the idea of scheduling out farther than 26 hours, mainly because there can be cases where zap2it is down, the computer is down during scheduled task time, your ISP is on the fritz, your zap2it account has expired and you haven't renewed, etc. Missing a day would result in marital discord around this house--anyone else? Maybe going 2 or 3 days out would do the trick.

Managing previously watched stuff: If, in the future, you add the ability to not record that which was previously recorded, then add another tab to manage the list of previous recordings--that management being to clear the "I recorded this before" flag. I'd like this because there are things I record that have glitches, and I'd like to be able to re-capture.

Get those in, and I'm DONE. But besides all that--this is so fundamentally wonderful right outta the box, I'm beside myself. You guys are heroes!

LDog

21 - 40 of 4490 Posts